Make a donation

Author Topic: Do Power washers ruin the paintwork on your car?  (Read 3731 times)

Offline Homer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
Do Power washers ruin the paintwork on your car?
« on: June 27, 2013, 09:18:03 pm »
I have heard a few people say that their cars paintwork has been ruined due to going to a car wash where they use power washers, one of them even said he had to get part of his car re-sprayed.

I usually visit such car washes and am now a bit paranoid about doing so. Any thoughts on this? Cheers.

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: Do Power washers ruin the paintwork on your car?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 09:22:14 pm »
dont think the power washer will do damage if used correctly,  its prob more to do with the spondge thats washed 100`s of dirty gritty cars and has dirt grit etc on it,    speed is king at most these places not care unfortunately.

although there is 1 on my way to town and they take great care and iv heard quite a few people say how can they make any money they take too long  :laugh:

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:25:43 pm by v2brett »
Still Here!

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 09:23:22 pm »
I have heard a few people say that their cars paintwork has been ruined due to going to a car wash where they use power washers, one of them even said he had to get part of his car re-sprayed.

I usually visit such car washes and am now a bit paranoid about doing so. Any thoughts on this? Cheers.

I wil never visit a car wash, as at the right pressure, pressure washers can take some paint off. I did it myself once but I was lucky as a new bumper went on later that week. Other thing to be wary of is if dirt doesn't shift, people get into the habit of bringing the pressure washer head closer to the paintwork. This increases the chance of damage to the paintwork. If any paintwork is damaged there generally won't be any recourse especially with the locals pols round where I am. SCRATCHES! You'll get lots of them going to these places despite what they claim. Again, could damage paintwork from other people's grit from their cars. No grit filters etc used.

Personally i'd stay well away and do it yourself. Pressure washers aren't too dear and can be used things other than the car. Just don't spray too close to the paintwork.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:25:54 pm by jonnym »
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline keano

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 10:44:50 pm »
Quite the contrary.

Not using a pressure washer and just an open ended hose may cause the car to burst into flames.  :jumpmove:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 11:30:21 pm »
I've been using pressure/jet washes since I was 14 and I've never, ever, ever, had a single problem.
Use common sense and you'll be fine, a good 2ft at the very least in terms of distance. However, the typical drive through car washes, they are bad for your paint end of, you have more to worry about than the pressure washer they use.

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 11:47:04 am »
Not using a pressure washer and just an open ended hose may cause the car to burst into flames.  :jumpmove:
:signLOL: :congrats:
'07 Red manual

Offline Daltzz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 12:44:33 am »
Only way it will take paint off is if there's some sort of defect or scratch for the water to get under to remove the paint

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 11:03:28 am »
Only way it will take paint off is if there's some sort of defect or scratch for the water to get under to remove the paint

True...I can vouch for that...managed to take some paint off my bumper near the parking sensor a while back :sad1:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 11:09:44 am »

True...I can vouch for that...managed to take some paint off my bumper near the parking sensor a while back :sad1:

I have just scratched my paintwork using a power washer with a brush on it, stupid stupid  :stupid:
i hope it can be polished away  :sad1:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 08:52:48 am »
I always wash my car with a 3 Phase Diesel Pressure Washer at around 50degrees

Only ever had a problem when the bumper had been smoothed and painted and the prep was rubbish. It didn't matter too much as I wanted to get the bumper done anyway, that just sped the process up
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 10:23:59 am »
I do think PW's have the ability over time to help lift lacquer from slightly damaged areas, perhaps adding to the whiteworm effect of the rear badge and wheel centres wheels, ESP. For those who go too close with the lance.  Maintain a sensible distance and it'll be fine.

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 10:14:00 pm »
Quite the contrary.

This is correct, I have heard countless stories of how innocent people innocently cleaning their car on a Sunday morning, have opted to use their open end hose to cut corners and save a few squid, have been victims of spontaneous combustion of their mad rides! It effects millions of people a year and must be stopped!

Offline lee_vrs

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 09:33:54 pm »
It's common sense.theres some car wash places around near me were the power washers are that powerful they rock the the car almost

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 11:34:59 pm »
I once took my first car/pride and joy to an 'autoshine express' car wash place and the pressure washer they used lifted the lacquer off my bonnet and front bumper in places. Rediculously powerful. Most domestic power washers won't cause this sort of damage, unless you use the dirtblaster lance  :scared:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline greygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 11:35:25 pm »
NO