Make a donation

Author Topic: Brakes - Drilling sensation  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
Re: Brakes - Drilling sensation
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 11:04:58 am »
Depends whether its doing it on a hard brake and or wet road... If its grinding without the requirement, it could be an issue with the ABS pump.  One of the reasons the cycle/purge should be done during fluid change, but by all accounts infrequently is.

I very rarely get the ABS grinding Back... You will know yourself if you've been hooning it.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 11:46:52 am »
I wouldnt say it was perfectly normal. If the ABS is kicking in you are either braking to late and hard for the conditions or you are in a emergency situation.  :driver:

Offline ArildStavrum

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 11:50:24 am »
I wouldnt say it was perfectly normal. If the ABS is kicking in you are either braking to late and hard for the conditions or you are in a emergency situation.  :driver:

there is a blind corner (round the side of a warehouse) into my local waitrose, i went round at 30mph to be confronted with a stationary car.
jumped on the brakes - drilling sensation ensued - I did stop though!

I'll go out and when safe test them out when it is dry over the next few days.

Offline OSB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 05:40:54 pm »
Tyre tread all ok? Decent make of tyre? Damp road? any or all of these could lead to premature locking up and the ABS kicking in.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but there is brake assist on the Golf (as with most cars these days) if you break hard and more importantly very quickly apply the brakes, it is sensed and the system applies a greater force than you could apply - hence the ABS feels even more.
Shows they are working!

Offline RifGTi

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 01:32:05 pm »
i had the same sensation when I first bought my golf. It only kicked in at a speed bump on this one road , got really worried thought something was coming of the car. Then I felt the same thing when I braked hard and harsh just knew it had to be the ABS  :happy2:

so not to worry all is well :laugh:

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 08:00:33 pm »

I can often enough trigger my ABS (anti lock brakes - not abdominal muscles!) when out for a good blat cross country and braking real late for hairpins etc.

It does seem a bit keen to trigger if you ask me - so I often turn it off

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK