Make a donation

Author Topic: Fitting Geniune Xenons  (Read 2412 times)

Offline petemcr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Fitting Geniune Xenons
« on: June 29, 2013, 04:37:34 pm »
Hi all,

I have actually had a search around on this on the forum and been reading up on it, but I'm only posting to get confirmation on this really.

I have a 2005 GTI, it has the winter pack so it should have the headlight washers, however they don't seem to work and I've noticed the water jet on the drivers side is very poor at best so I guess it has a problem, but am I right in thinking that once I had the lamps (which I'm in the process of getting) and the kuftec looms, all I am left with is the auto leveling

Is auto leveling needed to be able to fit them, or can I get them put it standard for the time being and then fit auto leveling to them later to make sure they're legel/MOT friendly

Any advice would be great

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Fitting Geniune Xenons
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 10:48:08 pm »
Don't need autolevelling but washers must work if fitted. Xenons can be fitted without worrying about anything else. Autolevelling stuff can become expensive.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline marko

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 12:32:59 am »
you need to wire the bi-xenon function to the cecm if you want the main beam to flash in xenon aswell as the dip beam...
 :happy2:
2007 TR gt170...heated leather,underseat drawers,auto-levelling bi-xenons,puddle leds,chrome switches,footwell lights f+r,cruise control and ed30 rear lamps,LED interior....carbon highline clocks,ed30 front spoiler,RNS 510 P+MDI,mk6 gti gearknob,TPMS done,complete r32 trim kit+ MFSW,r32 f+r brakes,RLS fitted.headlamp washers,folding mirrors and boot pop,mk6 RVC,19"Helios,AP coilies,valeo LEDs  ...dpf delete and remap to finish off

Offline petemcr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 01:46:34 pm »
Well, I've sorted out the headlight washers now

after searching on here and finding out the fuse going was common I checked and sure enough the fuse had gone, so after replacing it I'm up and running with the washers.

Marko, when you said wire the bi-xenon, is that the additional wire you get with the conversion kits from kufatec/eBay by any chance?

Also, the lights I've got don't have Ballast/Igniters, but I wasn't really planning on putting them in right away anyways so I have time to get them, but can standard HID kits be used or is the internals (I would assume they are) be differen't so standard cheap eBay HID's can't be used?

Cheers

Offline vrod

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 04:54:54 pm »
The Bi-Xenon headlights have a shutter which goes down to let the rest of the xenon light come out and be functional as "high beam". There will be a cable that needs to connect each shutter to your CECM which is the central electronics box that manages most of your lightning system. As i remember they go into A2 and D5 (correct me if im wrong).

On the kufatec adapter there will be a loose cable attached to each adapter - this is the Bi-Xenon wire. You need to take this wire through the firewall and into the CECM, i can tell that its not nice to work with that limited space :)) (at least on a golf plus).

If you want to fit genuine Xenon's, you would fit the necessary parts as well, otherwise you could just buy the Hella replicas. The genuine solution costs way more than aftermarket, but then its done right.

Good luck.

Offline petemcr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 06:20:43 pm »
Awesome, I'd skim read about the CECM when I was searching around so I'd wondered what needed to be done.

I'd sorted out a headlight already and it's a genuine so I guess I'd made my bed, just going to get all the parts and get them in at a later date.

Thanks for all the info everyone

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 07:36:05 pm »
Thought this article was worth a read on the subject for you - I'm not sure what display you have but this could help if problems arise!

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37356.0.html

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5533458-Xenon-coding-with-midline-CECM
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 07:38:53 pm by doylebros »