Make a donation

Author Topic: S£/R32/cupra brake fade  (Read 7027 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: S£/R32/cupra brake fade
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2009, 08:53:49 am »
slightly put off by the idea of warping 345mm discs.  but i guess with additonal cooling from ducting maybe it would be much less likely to happen.  How'd you find the braking power of the 345s with DS2500 pads around the ring?? I see you had no fade which is a start. Did you pedal bcome spongy after, or have yo put braided hoses on?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2009, 10:24:25 am »
think i might have a set sorted out now, just waiting to confirm details and fitment.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 10:25:30 am »
Off Dave?

What have you gone for??
Sideways yo!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2009, 10:27:11 am »
365mm 6 pots provided they will fit under my std vRS 18s. need towork out spacer sizes for them as well

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2009, 10:28:31 am »
I've had a 365MM AP kit under an 18, you'll be fine  :happy2:
Sideways yo!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2009, 10:29:29 am »
sweet, and you didnt need spacers

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2009, 10:31:33 am »
You need spacers for pretty much every kit bar the AP 330mm 4-pot.

3mm iirc. I chose to do mine by changing wheels & offset instead.
Sideways yo!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2009, 11:46:14 am »
3mm is taht all, i was thinking in the 10mm region!!! but then i have absolutley no clue. anybody got an idea on what fitment would be for a kit like this.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2009, 11:56:05 am »
:signLOL: come on you could have done better than k04, should have read go bigger than k04  :signLOL:

k04 conversion gives our cars 309bhp, ours at stage 2+ give 280bhp, 320-340Ibft, so if i get some water meth id be looking at 300bhp for about 2000 pound less. dont think i can justify that cost for such small gain

More like 370hp for a K04 mate.. The difference between K03 and K04 is night and day..

In terms of what brakes to go for.. Dont let the number of pistons or size / blingyness of the caliper or disc make your mind up as to what is going to be the best performance brake package.. Theres a lot more to it than that!

Going to an R8 caliper is going from one road set up to another, if you want proper brakes buy a race brake set up designed around our cars..

Drilled discs / One piece discs / road pads / road discs no matter how big, how many pistons etc etc will all fade / crack if you really use them.. Admittedly this may only be possible on track but just making the point that someone making a brake kit 'fit' to our cars using some nice looking calipers with 'a' disc with whatever pad will work is not they way to go about getting a good brake package..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2009, 12:38:19 pm »
:signLOL: come on you could have done better than k04, should have read go bigger than k04  :signLOL:

k04 conversion gives our cars 309bhp, ours at stage 2+ give 280bhp, 320-340Ibft, so if i get some water meth id be looking at 300bhp for about 2000 pound less. dont think i can justify that cost for such small gain

More like 370hp for a K04 mate.. The difference between K03 and K04 is night and day..

In terms of what brakes to go for.. Dont let the number of pistons or size / blingyness of the caliper or disc make your mind up as to what is going to be the best performance brake package.. Theres a lot more to it than that!

Going to an R8 caliper is going from one road set up to another, if you want proper brakes buy a race brake set up designed around our cars..

Drilled discs / One piece discs / road pads / road discs no matter how big, how many pistons etc etc will all fade / crack if you really use them.. Admittedly this may only be possible on track but just making the point that someone making a brake kit 'fit' to our cars using some nice looking calipers with 'a' disc with whatever pad will work is not they way to go about getting a good brake package..

:congrats:  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2009, 12:50:49 pm »

....Exactly what I wanted to write but coming from you, Jonny, with your experience etc it is much more convincing. I would just be viewed as "It's all right for RR to say that, he can afford AP's". I feel the same about suspension and most other performance mods by the way. There are a few guys like tony_d and Mat who know what to do but not many and I'm not one of them, so I leave it to the experts.

:happy2:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 12:52:40 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2009, 12:59:41 pm »
Dave's the only person I'd trust to make up a kit from VAG parts.

He's expert in caliper & disc types, piston sizes, master cylinder capacities and all relevant calculations to ensure the brakes are matched to the car.

We're not talking some ECS "just bung the biggest calipers you can find off anything bling" stuff here. Not that Jonny's point isn't valid, but budget doesn't have to mean compromised if you speak to the right people... it'll pretty much be like any Brembo BBK but made from VAG/Porsche branded parts instead.
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2009, 01:14:01 pm »

We're not talking some ECS "just bung the biggest calipers you can find off anything bling" stuff here. Not that Jonny's point isn't valid, but budget doesn't have to mean compromised if you speak to the right people... it'll pretty much be like any Brembo BBK but made from VAG/Porsche branded parts instead.

....Agreed but you are in the enviable position of knowing 'the right people'. In the absence of such first-hand contacts I think that Jonny's point is extremely valid and very good advice.

:happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2009, 01:15:34 pm »
Damn right RR - just cos you can make it fit, doesn't mean it'll work right... fatal error!
Sideways yo!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2009, 01:25:38 pm »
Damn right RR - just cos you can make it fit, doesn't mean it'll work right... fatal error!

Thats basically all I was getting at.. And trying to dispel the myth that in the world of brakes bigger equals better..

Initial bite is where the outright performance comes from in a brake package, the ability to take of speed when the car is traveling at a high speed, when the car is most planted / has the highest aero loading.. Then how the friction properties change throughout the braking zone in relation to temperature..

Obviously there are different priorities for some when looking for uprated brakes, so if the car is going to be used on the road only, then I would suggest trying a few and see what suits your style of driving best.. Some can't get along with high initial bite brakes etc..

Regal demo car has the Alcon set up, VWR has the VWR set up.. There the only two that I have driven and there both very good.. For me the VWR brakes are the best, but like I say, its down to what you prefer..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128