Make a donation

Author Topic: S£/R32/cupra brake fade  (Read 7104 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: S£/R32/cupra brake fade
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 12:44:43 pm »
im interested in everything as long as we stay below the £1000  region

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 12:50:37 pm »
if u do regular track days...the R32  set up will not do.

normal daily driving and "occasional" track day it will cope and is very good VFM.

It certainly didn't cope as well as i hoped on my last outing (2 track days in 3 weeks)

Next car will have multi piston calipers and mahoosive 2 piece discs.

As they say, you gotta pay if you want to play.  :happy2:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 01:10:20 pm »
^^ i agree, my last car had a very simillar set up to the r32 and it wasnt all that imo, a nice 4 pot AP setup would be good or the R8 stuff :jumping:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 01:23:35 pm »

I would seriously consider the AP Racing BBK - They fit both 18's and 17's (just!) Monza's and are very well proven. Cost you about £1,800 and not overkill. You don't need more than 4-pot and fronts only for the Mk5 GTI (advice straight from the Senior Race Engineer at AP) unless you are building a full-on competition race car.

I think you're right about staying away from a K04 conversion - That really is a slippery slope! Better to spend money on improved handling. IMO of course.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 01:26:39 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 03:50:26 pm »
I fully agree with you there robin. I think with the meth injection i can achieve very close to 300bhp without going k04. Handling is where its needed.

Theres no way i can stretch out £1800 for a set of brembos though, as nice as they may be. The r8 calipers are 4 pot so should do the job.

question for chungster and 182_blue

what was wrong with the setup on the track, fade, or just not enough stopping power.

Also what is the benefit of two piece discs. is it being lightweight, or cooling quicker??

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 04:03:35 pm »
I fully agree with you there robin. I think with the meth injection i can achieve very close to 300bhp without going k04. Handling is where its needed.

Theres no way i can stretch out £1800 for a set of brembos though, as nice as they may be. The r8 calipers are 4 pot so should do the job.

question for chungster and 182_blue

what was wrong with the setup on the track, fade, or just not enough stopping power.

Also what is the benefit of two piece discs. is it being lightweight, or cooling quicker??

for me it just didnt stop me in time, and they are easily cooked, theres only one piston on them so i just dont think they are up to alots of abuse

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 05:58:01 pm »
for me it just didnt stop me in time, and they are easily cooked, theres only one piston on them so i just dont think they are up to alots of abuse

would track spec pads and braided hoses have fixed that maybe.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 06:07:22 pm »
i was running oem pads and fluid. they just get hot, simple. ABS starts to kick in. Pedals goes softer, and it loses the bite you've been getting in first few laps. So you start braking earlier to compensate.

fast road pads / fluid will help, but you can't beat a proper multi piston caliper set up!

2 piece discs aids heat dispersion.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 06:10:20 pm »
have PMd dave so hopefully will get s few good options back. with two piece discs do you only need to replace the outer discs not the hub when it comes to replacing them.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009, 06:31:16 pm »
another question....would removing the dust shield to help cooling be an idea worth looking into, or is it dodgy??

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2009, 06:47:51 pm »
^^^^
The dust shield is there for a reason - You don't really want loads of (?)corrosive(?) brake dust everywhere.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2009, 06:56:36 pm »

would track spec pads and braided hoses have fixed that maybe.

maybe would have helped a bit, but they wouldnt look as good  :laugh:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 07:06:42 am »
^^^^
The dust shield is there for a reason - You don't really want loads of (?)corrosive(?) brake dust everywhere.

The shield is there to prevent stone ingestion into the calipers, which prevents disc damage. There was one B7 RS4 guy over on RS246.com who had a stone in there for over a month before the pads wore down and eventully the stone came into contact with his disc which got toasted at a replacement cost of £600!

Offline monk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 07:42:49 am »
Intresting read this :smiley:
I (ATM) run R32 setup and it is really good and thought I did'nt need anything else..It was then K03
As a k04 I knacked a brand new set of discs at the ring recently(running DS2500's) by doing 2 laps off the trot and not letting them cool down.Never suffered brake fade just obviously got too much heat in the 345's (which weigh a bloody ton!)
So is there a 2 piece disc setup with R8 calipers from Audi that will bolt straight on?
....German car fan...

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 08:18:49 am »
By knaclered i presume you warped the discs? That also answered the question about DS2500 pads on the R32 setup, as noone seemed to know of any dstributers for them.

makes sense about the dustshield, I just want to cool them down. Maybe i could run some ducting from the front grill to blast on the brakes from inside the wheel arch. Mine were so hot after one lap yesterday youcouldnt even touch the front alloys as they were so hot.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 08:20:46 am by simonskerton »