Author Topic: 95 RON  (Read 5353 times)

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
Re: 95 RON
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 10:01:32 am »
As an experiment I tried a tank or two of 95, TBH it made little or no noticable difference driving on my daily commute or to the MPG.

I went back to 99/98 cos thats the recommendation, its more expensive but at least I know that I am keeping her on her correct diet.

Offline JVS

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 10:44:30 am »
There's an article in this week's Auto Express - a three page section on buying a second hand MkV GTI.

It says specifically that protracted use of 95 ron fuel may lead to problems with the cylinder head.

Tesco 99 seems a good option although I'm not sure it has the same cleaners as BP or Shell super unleaded.

Any one know?

Jim

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 11:03:02 am »
As an experiment I tried a tank or two of 95, TBH it made little or no noticable difference driving on my daily commute or to the MPG.

I went back to 99/98 cos thats the recommendation, its more expensive but at least I know that I am keeping her on her correct diet.

Good post. I'm not finding much of a difference in the usual daily drive.

I just find it hard to believe that there arent hundreds of MK5 GTi owners out there that are running 95 RON. Dont forget this is a forum for enthusiasts. We will always want 110% from our cars and therefore pay for high grade petrol (like I've been doing for the past 8 months).

Just one of my thinking outside of the box moments.

Offline matty_jetta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 12:13:17 pm »
I have ran mine on shell v power since owning it and ran my lupo gti on it before. I wouldn't skimp on fuel, pay 10k+ for a car then save a few pence on fuel? Doesn't make sense

Oh and my cars have always made good figures on rolling road

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 12:28:06 pm »
There is absolutely no harm in running the car with 95 RON.  It will adjust and happily run on it with no trouble at all.

2 / 3 times a year I travell up to the Scottish Highlands where there is no super unleaded.  When running on 95 RON I have found very little if any difference in mpg.  Low down the rev range there is very little difference to the power but when you open the taps its literally like someone has stolen half your engine.  Its flat as a pancake....

There is no harm in doing it should you run on 95 but for the love of god don't, you'll end up hating your car.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline Tarmac_Terrorist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 01:32:22 pm »
There is absolutely no harm in running the car with 95 RON.  It will adjust and happily run on it with no trouble at all.

2 / 3 times a year I travell up to the Scottish Highlands where there is no super unleaded.  When running on 95 RON I have found very little if any difference in mpg.  Low down the rev range there is very little difference to the power but when you open the taps its literally like someone has stolen half your engine.  Its flat as a pancake....

There is no harm in doing it should you run on 95 but for the love of god don't, you'll end up hating your car.

So can we safely conclude that 95 RON fuel is NOT connected to the FSI coking / cylinder head issues as suggested in magazines / other articles on the internet then? It seems strange that a connection is being made.

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 11:24:45 pm »
The cleansing properties of fuel have nothing to do with the Octane rating, Shell Fuel may have cleansing properties that Esso doesnt have and vice versa, the octane rating demonstrates the calorific value of the fuel and its detonative behaviour. In the old days of 4* it used to be tetra ethyl that used to be used to bump up the octane value, Old aircraft engines used to use 110 octane for more power.

I'm not sure what they use now  - any metallic compounds will reduce knocking obviously not lead anymore.

Anybody who has decatted should technically be able to use 100 octane aviation fuel  - anybody willing to try it   :jumping:

I was running mine on 100 at the 'Ring - it was an animal on it!!

The aviation fuel is a type of fuel called 100LL or low lead - so it does have lead in it so no good for catted cars, a 50/50 mix of super unleaded and AvGas (100LL) is the choice of fuel for classic car racing. The 100LL for power and the metallic compounds of the super unleaded for knock protection.

On a seperate note for those running decatted exhaust is there any engine management issues associated

Offline DanoGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
    • DA Productions
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 05:31:09 pm »
Well FWIW, I've always fed my GTI on SUL, but had to resort to NUL lat week for a tank  :ashamed:

It didn't seem to make THAT much difference to the performance (but in all fairness, I was only driving to and from Borth  - 150mille round trip, with the family, so I couldn't boot it)

However, my MPG got HAMMERED!!!!  :surprised: The best I could get out of it was circa 27/28mpg. The same circumstances with SUL, would be another 10mpg (or thereabouts)

I won't be going back to NUL unless really pushed.

Dan  :happy2:

DA Productions

The fine art of diplomacy is telling somebody to "fcuk off" in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey....