Make a donation

Author Topic: Broken Solenoid....  (Read 3589 times)

Offline wax

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Broken Solenoid....
« on: August 17, 2009, 08:00:12 pm »
Ran into a problem over the weekend, took the car out in the evening and it seemed to have lost its boost significantly.

Came home lifted the hood and noticed the small hose going of the Forge DV, connecting to the solenoid had split and the plastic pipe to which it attaches had also snapped right off :( It seems strange as nothing is weighing onto it to cause it. Has anyone else experienced this?

The picture illustrates the broken bit.

I've removed the bit this morning and took it down to VW and strangely there is no part number on the bit, it looks as though it has been machined off professionally.

The picture illustrates this.

Here is a picture of new part from VW.

So i get the new part bring it home and being to put it together, but it doesnt seem to connect to the other end, where i notice the connector is different to the original.

The orginal seems to have a groove, again machined where as the new part doesnt, so i've taken it back to VW who say they cant really help because they only have the one i bought today

The picture illustrates original part.

The picture illustrates new part.

You guys know whats going on here, because i really dont have a clue
Mugen RR-SOLD / Golf GTI Edition 30-SOLD / Impreza Spec C Type RA / MK6 Candy White Golf GTI

Offline TomB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 10
Re: Broken Solenoid....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 08:35:13 pm »
I also need to replace this part on mine (VW diagnosed it at the cause of my power loss), how did you get to it?  Its in a pretty tight spot, and my mechanic thought it'd take him hours!  It probably would if he had the same problem as you.

I've just looked at the one I bought last week, and its also grooveless like the one closest to the camera in the last pic.  Mine is numbered 06F 906 283 F.

I suspect that mine will be the same.  My guess there's a VW technical bulletin in their service department which shows a loom modification as well.  Go back to the dealer and get the service department to look into it for you.
Tom
05 GTI - 18" Merc wheels, coilovers, colour coded Votex kit, all waiting to go on.

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 09:35:47 pm »
This seems to be quite a problem, I've seen a few of these.  You won't see a TSB for them because it's not factory fit for the TFSi, it's part of the Forge DV kit.

It shouldn't be difficult to reach, although this depends on where it was fitted when the DV was installed.

Failing that contact Forge for a replacement.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 07:28:17 am by vRStu »
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline TomB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 09:42:09 pm »
Are you saying Forge modified his loom and fitted their own solenoid?

The original part looks like an original VW/Pierburg item with the numbers shaved off, something I used to see a lot of when I worked at a motor factors.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 09:45:19 pm by TomB »
Tom
05 GTI - 18" Merc wheels, coilovers, colour coded Votex kit, all waiting to go on.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 09:54:41 pm »
Are you saying Forge modified his loom and fitted their own solenoid?

Not at all, the plug is the same one used for the OEM DV.  Forge use a variety of OEM parts and obviously machine the details off to protect their interests.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 10:13:24 pm »
Ok, a bit more info, just checked the parts catalogue.

The number you ordered Tom is OEM for the TFSi which is probably why they gave it to you. The 'Forge' one must be off another engine but I can't find which.
Stu...

Offline wax

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 01:44:14 am »
It wasnt too hard getting to it, as mine is off an edition30 and its placed at the front of the engine bay. I installed the DV myself...30min job.

Whilst reading your posts i realised that yes this solenoid did come with the Forge Kit, previously i thought it was already attached to the car, hence why i turned up at VW.

I took a closer look at both parts earlier and they are definately OEM, Forge are using an OEM bit and modifying it.

I think i'll call Forge tomorrow and perhaps pop down to Awesome (purchase place) and see what they have to say about it.

Cheers Guy. Wax
Mugen RR-SOLD / Golf GTI Edition 30-SOLD / Impreza Spec C Type RA / MK6 Candy White Golf GTI

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 09:06:10 am »

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 09:16:43 am »
You know that's not the DV right? It's the N75 valve, and to me it looks like that pipe has snapped off... is the snapped off pipe still stuck in the hose?

I believe it's easier to take the drivers side wheel guard out to have better access for removal/refit.
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 09:22:26 am »

I know.  My problem is the replacement N75 doesn't fit on the loom on the car as it has a slightly different plug.

Just been on the phone to awesome they said the valve used with the forge kit is a tdi valve, that's why it doesn't fit

He said I now have 2 N75's?? One (tdi) next to the Forge DV and one near the brake reservoir.  Is that where it would be on a Ko4?

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 09:37:15 am »
I thought it piggy backed the turbo.. or is close... dunno why you have too, but dunno bout the forge dv and how it works, might be worth going on their website and see what instructions you can find for the dv?
Diesel Daily Hack.