Make a donation

Author Topic: Best durable Polish/Wax combination for Graphite Blue golf.  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Degudodger

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
I currently use Poorboys Black hole and AutoGlym HD wax on my Graphite Blue Golf and although I am pleased with the results after 2 weeks it looks pretty shoddy. What I am after is a Polish/Wax combination with a bit more staying power especially for concealing scratches and paintwork imperfections.

My current cleaning process is:
Wash and rinse using the two bucket system using micro fibre mitt
Full body clay
Wash and rinse
Dry
Polish using Poorboys Blackhole x2 coats
Single coat of Autoglym HD Wax

I wash the car every 2 weeks/1200 miles, if I leave it any longer the 6 years and 114k miles worth of stone chips and scratches start to look unsightly, ideally I would like a longer lasting solution maybe a more resilient wax but don’t know which to use.

I appreciate that no matter what products I use the stone chips and scratches will never be completely concealed but I want to investigate other cleaning product combinations to find a suitable Polish/Wax combination taking cost/durability into consideration.
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
Re: Best durable Polish/Wax combination for Graphite Blue golf.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 02:48:33 pm »
I know I keep saying this but I find Colinite 476s is a very hard wearing and durable wax. They claim it can last up to 12 months although I try to top it up every 2-3 months or so.
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 02:53:40 pm »
Anthony

I don't think you'd go wrong with FinishKare 1000P Hi-Temp Sealant as LSP. It doesn't contain any fillers but its bloody great, large tin will last you ages, can be used to seal everything from wheels, calipers, exhausts.

I'd put it on top of autoglym SRP which will fill some of the scratches, you may also wish to consider incorporating Tardis & IronX once a year, before you clay

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 03:00:42 pm »
There is no such thing as a bulletproof wax - you will still get scratches, swirls and stonechips. After all - it's essentially a layer of fat. More durable sealants can be found in the ceramic stuff like Carpro Cquartz or Gtechniq C1 stuff.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 08:59:10 pm »
Anthony

I don't think you'd go wrong with FinishKare 1000P Hi-Temp Sealant as LSP. It doesn't contain any fillers but its bloody great, large tin will last you ages, can be used to seal everything from wheels, calipers, exhausts.

I'd put it on top of autoglym SRP which will fill some of the scratches, you may also wish to consider incorporating Tardis & IronX once a year, before you clay

Hi Eccie. Strange you should mention FinishKare as i have been given a sample pot by a guy at work, how brother is a detailer for a Rolls Royce dealership and often gets freebes. Going t give it a try this weekend :)
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!