Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 white worm rear boot badge to 3D emblem boot badge walk though?  (Read 17910 times)

mikenike

Hi guys,

I am new to the VW mod scene and first thing is to sort out the whiteworm on the rear boot handle!

Is there any walk throughs or guides (pictures would be nice) of the steps to modify the boot handle unit.  I have found plenty on how to remove the handle, so that is sorted, but I would just like to know the best way to tackle it.

I am looking to convert a MK5 white worm handle to a 3D emblem handle.

Will be grateful for any advice!

Mike
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:26:30 pm by mikenike »

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Re: MK5 white worm rear boot badge to 3D emblem boot badge walk though?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 05:52:37 pm »
If I was you I would make contact with Member brookesb32  -  he has a wealth of knowledge on this matter! :happy2:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 06:11:55 pm by doylebros »

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 06:29:58 pm »
I'm here  8)

multiple options.

1. Pull off the old whitewormed badge - 2 tabs on the sides - just bend them up, then get a swiss army knife or similar under the edge to lever the badge off the base - just stuck with double sided foam tape. Then sand down and wrap with your choice of vinyl, or spray paint of course. Stick back on with some new double sided foam tape.

2. Same as above but once back on the base you could stick a 3D badge on - you want a 110mm one - there are standard VW ones on ebay, or pick a later bevelled type from a scirocco (front) or other VW range (i have a 5M0 on a badge on ebay, see link - so whatever car that was from). the badges will not go over the edge and down the side of the base

3. Same as no.1 but then once the whitewormed badge is off, leave it off :) fill the hole in the base and then either wrap or spray the base the colour of your choice and stick a 3D badge to that (again see ebay link)

4. if you want more effort you can sand the edges of the base enough so that if you can get a Mk5 or Mk6 3D badge (only the Mk6 are sold separately at VW) you can sand the inside of that too and that will push over the edges of the base

5. Once handle is removed, replace with a Mk5 3D handle :)

ill upload some pics of some previous ones later to show you variations

my ebay listings currently  :happy2:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161066404973?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161066265888?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

ok - so here are some of the ones i have done.

First pic shows what it is like once you get the badge off. the others are just various options

Straight Carbon Fibre Vinyl wrapped badge

Matte black vinyl wrapped badge

Brushed silver/steel vinyl wrapped badge

Badge removed and matte black vinyl on the base and on the VW badge i found on ebay -

Silver scirocco badge stuck to base covered in matte black vinyl

and a scirocco badge i think on top of the badge which was wrapped in matte black vinyl then stuck back to the base

The extra work version - sanding edges and inside of badge as detailed above
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:20:58 pm by brookesb32 »
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

Offline blacklabeluk

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 08:06:47 pm »
i went salvage and picked one up in mint condition for £15 after haggling

mikenike

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 12:47:07 am »
brookesb32 you are the man!

Thank you so much! I will get to it this week and post up my results!

Mike

Offline pol

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 10:04:04 am »
nice guide. i've got an older style flat badge thats been white wormed. any ideas for places i can order a badge from to go over the top once i wrap it? ideally one that already painted gloss black but i'll paint it if need be.
thanks

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 08:59:06 pm »
nice guide. i've got an older style flat badge thats been white wormed. any ideas for places i can order a badge from to go over the top once i wrap it? ideally one that already painted gloss black but i'll paint it if need be.
thanks

eBay basically. Anything around the 105 to 110mm will fit.

Offline pol

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 10:58:08 am »
ok thanks will have a look. i seen you posts in classifieds for badges but i couldn't contact you as i don't have pm's or ability to post in classifieds which is a bit pish.
will see what i turn up on ebay.

Natw888

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 12:18:28 am »
I'm here  8)
Hi.
I too am interested in beautifying my pride and joy, my first car.
Received a quote from VW Dealership and a new one costs £119.34p all inclusive then there's one hours of fitting at approximately £105 (inclusive of VAT) so replacement with VW is out of my budget.
Am wondering if there are any videos, step by step instructions on how to remove and replace this wiggly wormy thingy, how to remove the whole lock from the boot panel..............any available links would be most appreciated so I can take apart the old worm thingy module.

Any new modules which are less expensive than VW ?

Regards.

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 07:22:49 am »
I'm here  8)
Hi.
I too am interested in beautifying my pride and joy, my first car.
Received a quote from VW Dealership and a new one costs £119.34p all inclusive then there's one hours of fitting at approximately £105 (inclusive of VAT) so replacement with VW is out of my budget.
Am wondering if there are any videos, step by step instructions on how to remove and replace this wiggly wormy thingy, how to remove the whole lock from the boot panel..............any available links would be most appreciated so I can take apart the old worm thingy module.

Any new modules which are less expensive than VW ?

Regards.

Here is a guide (step 5) that shows how to remove the tailgate handle. The badge on your handle is stick on with two tabs at the side, lift these up and then prize off the badge. Be gentle as the metal isn't thick so the badge bends. Then you can fix/modify as above or replace with a newer 3D version, either mk5 or mk6

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,10027.0.html

New ones occasionally come up on ebay, in fact I just sold one on here a couple of days back, but you can still get some really nice used ones from eBay or on here now and again

Simon

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 08:27:39 pm »
Thought I would update this for all those thinking of doing this. Follow the advice from Brookesb32 and do the extra work version. This was what I started with

Then stripped it off and ordered a mk6 3d badge. I then bought some carbon effect wrap before grinding it back and sticking it on. Turned out very well as you can see.

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 09:29:28 pm »
Thought I would update this for all those thinking of doing this. Follow the advice from Brookesb32 and do the extra work version. This was what I started with

Then stripped it off and ordered a mk6 3d badge. I then bought some carbon effect wrap before grinding it back and sticking it on. Turned out very well as you can see.

Excellent job! May have a second guru on the forum  :happy2:

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 10:23:37 pm »
Time and effort mate. To be fair I could have spent a little longer on the grindstone and removed a bit more of the metal from the handle to get it to sit a little more flush. But was cold today and wanted to get it back together. Looks smart though. Cheers for the advice

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 10:36:44 pm »
Could have filled the hole in the base too  :wink:

Takes a good while with the metal and I'm like you, just want it done now  :grin:

Looks properly good

Offline J9EVW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 10:02:22 pm »
Brookesb32 aswesome how to guide mate, I'm am giving this ago at the weekend, but was wondering what you used to stick the badge onto the base? Glue? Tape?