Make a donation

Author Topic: Looking at a GTi this weekend  (Read 934 times)

Offline LiamGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Looking at a GTi this weekend
« on: August 29, 2013, 01:11:22 pm »
Due to look at a GTi this weekend,

I think its fairly decent spec;

Looks like it has the Highline Clocks, Xenons, iPod Armrest, Auto Lights/Wipers, Heated Seats etc

I'll keep you posted how I get on : )

Anything to look out for other than the usual DV Split, Rear Wheel Alignment, Aircon etc?

Offline Frodo-anni

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
Re: Looking at a GTi this weekend
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 04:02:36 pm »
Welcome,

Service history, how often is it regular. If DSG has the gearbox oil/filter been changed every 40k.  Has the cambelt waterpump been done 4yrs/60k.

Is there any rust on the front arches/sill areas, known issue, also check the rear boot handle and window edge for any corrosion.

:happy2:

One last one, condition of wheels and tyres, if tyres budgets consider cost of changing to decent tyres, my eddie came with budget front tyres that were very noisy and really spolit that car. Now that im running eagle F1's, much better, budget about £450 for 4 tyres.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline LiamGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 07:45:08 pm »
Hi Frodo,

Thanks - Didnt think about the tyres, and forgot about the white worm on the rear badge.

Definitely check for DSG Oil Change and Cambelt+Waterpump.

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 10:37:59 pm »
One last one, condition of wheels and tyres, if tyres budgets consider cost of changing to decent tyres, my eddie came with budget front tyres that were very noisy and really spolit that car. Now that im running eagle F1's, much better, budget about £450 for 4 tyres.

Agree with this 100%. I did test drive my car before buying, but didn't notice the drone from the Linglongs on the front until I got it on the M4 on the way home from Cardiff. My fault, as thinking back to the test drive, whilst we did get onto Dual carriageway round the city, we didn't get to 70-80...

I was gutted on the drive home, as I thought a bearing was on the way out. Hated the tyres even more after I Googled them, so had them changed for new Continentals.
Horrible droning noise had gone afterwards, plus I had a bit more confidence the tyres could better cope with the demands of the car afterwards.

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline LiamGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 08:19:25 am »
Ill keeps eyes peeled for decent tyres :)