Make a donation

Author Topic: Today I have mostly been..........Fitting an ITG CAI  (Read 63562 times)

Offline RobsCupra

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Today I have mostly been..........
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2009, 06:37:14 pm »
I like it the way it looks now. It looks "functional"!  :ashamed:
MK2 Leon Cupra - Red with a few bits and bobs...!!

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2009, 06:49:36 pm »

It's just that 'wall' of roughly cut and badly fitting foam behind the cone filter - It doesn't look "functional", it looks badly homemade. But it's only a prototype and I expect it will be better resolved.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline revo carl

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2009, 09:56:10 am »
saying that tho, i would have liked to see the original air feed being used too

that was tested, at any level of decent speed the stock air feed is useless, due to the point in the body where the intake takes the air feed there's no air pressure as it's being channeled over the body rather than into the intake, so the best point to take your air is the inner arch behind the bumper
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 09:59:11 am by revo carl »

Offline revo carl

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2009, 09:58:27 am »
nothing to do with a certain new tuner in the market is it  :wink:

they've been selling there own software for years!

we have a good working relationship with forge thanks  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2009, 10:54:13 am »
saying that tho, i would have liked to see the original air feed being used too

that was tested, at any level of decent speed the stock air feed is useless, due to the point in the body where the intake takes the air feed there's no air pressure as it's being channeled over the body rather than into the intake, so the best point to take your air is the inner arch behind the bumper

....Without me going out and walking to my garage and getting the car out of its batcave and having a look, I didn't think the wheel arch was open.

Even if the 'side' feed position (ITG and EVOMS for example) is far more efficient, surely there must be a significant amount of air being fed via the stock position, otherwise oem cars would be "useless". Also, why would Forge still additionally use the stock front position with their twintake? - GruppeM too.

I'm not trying to suggest the ITG doesn't work but I'm genuinely interested in how all these systems work before choosing one.

:happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline ITG Andy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2009, 01:06:04 pm »
Hi guys, I'm a newbie to forums so you'll have to excuse me if I cock any thing up.

The intake at the grille will work OK at speed if you're running a sealed system up to it - if your looking at using it to push air over an open filter it's not going to work as well as you expect.

The biggest issue I've found with these cars is getting a large enough filter in to cope with 450+ bhp and still keep intake tempertures down.

The only spot in the engine bay where this is possible is behind the headlight. This leads to the next issue, which is the distance from the filter to the turbo. Basically, with a long, constant bore pipe, you will get an increase in drag that will lose airflow - hence the huge pipework to counter this.

The main goal of this kit is to provide the minmum resistance in the intake system to allow for the higher airflow of big turbo's and also to let the turbo spin up quicker.

The foam heat shield is still work in progress and still needs more work, however it is an extremley effective thermal barrier and forms a good seal against the slam panel etc (I didn't have to finish Steve's off as well as I'd liked).

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2009, 01:15:15 pm »

The intake at the grille will work OK at speed if you're running a sealed system up to it - if your looking at using it to push air over an open filter it's not going to work as well as you expect.

The biggest issue I've found with these cars is getting a large enough filter in to cope with 450+ bhp and still keep intake tempertures down.

....Thanks and a Warm Welcome, Andy :happy2:

The above answers my queries perfectly. Your filter is clearly seems [edited] more appropriate for bigger turbo'd more powerful 2.0T FSI cars.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 02:16:52 pm by RedRobin »

Offline CocoPops

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
    • Kennet Heath
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2009, 01:34:26 pm »
Good to see you here Andy  :happy2:

Cheers,
Lee.
Used to Own: 2008 GTI Ed30 | ITG Intake | Miltek TBE System | Bluefin Stage 2 | 327bhp
On Order: 2017 Golf GTI Performance Pack 5dr DSG
Also own: 2016 Lotus Evora 400

Offline ITG Andy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2009, 01:36:45 pm »
Cheers for the welcome guys - thought I'd better come on and clear a few things up

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2009, 01:57:00 pm »
welcome Andy  :happy2:

in terms of us 'mortals'  :grin: , is there any detriment in airflow for Stage 1 / 2 cars running around 300-350 bhp then ? (i.e. is it too big?) when compared to a constant diam pipe?

As Robins eluded to , is the kit a compromise if fitted  300 bhp cars and only really  for 400bhp+ cars ?

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2009, 02:11:02 pm »
As Robins eluded to , is the kit a compromise if fitted  300 bhp cars and only really  for 400bhp+ cars ?

Hi Andy and welcome :smiley:,

I'd definitely like to know more about this as I'm about to go for 450+bhp with the kit I've just bought :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline ITG Andy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2009, 02:16:59 pm »
If the cars were NA, then yes it probaly would hurt the low down torque as maintaining air speed can help cylinder filling at lower RPM.

Turbo's on the other hand work best with minimal resistance, it may be overkill but it shouldn't hurt the performance.

Offline ITG Andy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2009, 02:21:06 pm »
Hi Hurdy

Give me a call on 02476 305386 and I'll be happy to discuss things in more detail - If I tried to type out all the ins and outs I'd be here all day!!!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2009, 02:26:26 pm »
If the cars were NA, then yes it probaly would hurt the low down torque as maintaining air speed can help cylinder filling at lower RPM.

Turbo's on the other hand work best with minimal resistance, it may be overkill but it shouldn't hurt the performance.

....So do I understand correctly that this new ITG solution, though best suited to more than 300(?)bhp cars "shouldn't" hurt the performance of less-than-300bhp cars but may be overkill?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 05:03:38 pm by RedRobin »

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2009, 03:17:45 pm »
Sorry fella's I've kept him busy for a while

Cheers Andy for the excellent info :happy2:
Golf R gone.