Make a donation

Author Topic: No Golfs involved but........AMG v's BMW  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Biano44

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 14
  • The CC GT 200
No Golfs involved but........AMG v's BMW
« on: July 18, 2013, 12:40:36 pm »
&feature=youtu.be&a

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
Re: No Golfs involved but........AMG v's BMW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 07:47:38 pm »
very interesting! :happy2:

Thia little amg is very good indeed if even Chris Harris would have it over 135i which won so many prizes!

Paul
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline JigBake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 08:19:36 pm »
That A45 is getting such good reviews everywhere. I love it and want one soooo bad! I have got a driving experience in one next saturday at Mercedes Benz World and cant wait.

Also, what I find so annouying about the M135i is that for it to be spec for spec with the A45 there isnt much difference in price yet people still go on about the price.....and even when it has been specced up to be a rival on spec, just look at the BMW's boring interior, ordinary seats and so on.

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 08:37:42 pm »
That A45 is getting such good reviews everywhere. I love it and want one soooo bad! I have got a driving experience in one next saturday at Mercedes Benz World and cant wait.

Also, what I find so annouying about the M135i is that for it to be spec for spec with the A45 there isnt much difference in price yet people still go on about the price.....and even when it has been specced up to be a rival on spec, just look at the BMW's boring interior, ordinary seats and so on.

true what you said about comparing like with like! However you can't get low spec AMG for 31k whereas at least for BMW you have an option! BMW is a bargain for the performance that's for sure and it could be mapped to higher power whereas AMG seemed maxed out 2l engine with 355 bhp

Paul
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline JigBake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 08:49:24 pm »
Oh yea, i appreciate the BMW for what it can be and agree it can be a bargain. These reviews use specced up M135i's in their comparisons and never a standard one they always praise! Just winds me up a little.

Its still early days to judge whether the A45 AMG is tuneable or not just because of its engine size. If their recent AMG's are anything to go by then there is plenty to be had yet, but know one knows yet. Watch this space...

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 08:57:34 pm »
Define spec for spec?

For example... Nav isn't standard in either car (£2k option in both). There's no manual option on the AMG, so granted it's cosing you £1500 there (Monkey quotes £3k incorrectly). What else do you have to add to the BMW to bring it level?

Ok, it's easy to make an M135i a £38k car, but it's just as easy to make the AMG a £48k car.
Sideways yo!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 09:40:58 pm »
A45 Quicker on Pilot Sport 3s than the M135i on Supersports!!!!  Have to say, i bet there would be a fairly large difference had they had the same tyres.

Why hasnt anyone pitted it against the RS3 yet though!!

Offline Leonard

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 09:41:43 pm »
I specced a 3 door with pro nav, metallic, adjustable suspension, 5 year service, Harman Kardon and a few other smaller prions for 31.5k. An EASY 10k less than similar A45. Don't get me wrong A45 looks awesome but the BMW is still a 6cylinder car which is rwd and 10k cheaper than the Benz..

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 09:43:51 pm »
A45 Quicker on Pilot Sport 3s than the M135i on Supersports!!!!  Have to say, i bet there would be a fairly large difference had they had the same tyres.

For sure, although don't forget it is really in a different class to the BMW, so it should whack it by rights. The forthcoming RS3/1M is its real peer.

No RS3? Last gen car, so wouldn't be fair I guess.
Sideways yo!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 09:46:31 pm »

For sure, although don't forget it is really in a different class to the BMW, so it should whack it by rights. The forthcoming RS3/1M is its real peer.

No RS3? Last gen car, so wouldn't be fair I guess.
But Merc bring a 300Hp + AWD luxury hot hatch to the market.  there is only one other car on the market like that and thats the RS3.  Fir me it makes more sense than the M135i as a comparison.

When was the RS3 released?  I thought the next RS3 wasnt due until late 2015? In which case, it wont then be comparable to the A45 as thats then an old model....

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 09:47:39 pm »
I meant in terms of platform. The new RS3 and current A45 AMG will be on the same gen platform, so at least in some way comparable.
Sideways yo!

Offline Biano44

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 14
  • The CC GT 200
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 09:48:25 pm »

Chris does say in the video that there is no RS3 as it would get trounced!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 09:50:31 pm »

Chris does say in the video that there is no RS3 as it would get trounced!

But when they pitted the RS3 against the M135i on the track it was actually faster than the M135i iirc, even if he hated it with a passion and preferred to drive the M135i.

iirc it was actually a fair amount quicker on laptime than the M135i, so since the A45 only just beat the M135i on track, maybe the A45 would lose to an RS3?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:53:40 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 10:02:25 pm »
Less than a second over Brunters, so not massively ahead.

1:18.05 v 1:17.18. Not a huge % margin. And despite claims, SSports on the Audi aren't buying it a great deal more time. Pushing it that last tenth on a track highlights issues with a chassis no tyres are going to fix. You'd not notice it on the road I'm sure.

Sport Auto had the RS3 faster around Hockenheim but slower around the Ring - so that 4WD really seems to buy it time out of slow bends, the BMW obviously dealing with faster bends better.

I expect you'd see similar here, as they did the AMG at Landow, which is very tight. Which means the RS3 certainly could/should keep it in reach.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 10:15:08 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline Leonard

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 10:20:14 pm »
Be interesting to see the tuning potential of the A45. I'm thinking it wont be no 2.0 4cyl Evo......

Beemer will do 370bhp easy though without mods, so add £750 for a remap to the 31.5k purchase price and the bargain could become THE bargain!

Hope Im wrong about the block on the AMG though as 500bhp would be immense with that drivetrain! Id defo have one, even if I had to swap the turbo out..

Then again could save 30k and buy an Evo with a happy tail LOL
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 10:22:25 pm by Leonard »