Make a donation

Author Topic: rear tyre wear  (Read 2779 times)

Offline oldmanspeed

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
rear tyre wear
« on: July 14, 2013, 03:28:38 pm »
hi

Is it normal for an ed 30 to wear the inside edge of the rear tyres way before the rest of the tyre is worn or has my car got an aggressive setting or just out of alignment.

thanks

Offline magicgilbert

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: rear tyre wear
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 07:19:09 pm »
I know my uncle has got a golf tdi 140 and had the same problem, aparantly some came out the production line with the wrong alignment, he took it to vw to get it sorted, wasn't for free thew and had to pay
Torando Red ED30 num:1913 with stage 1 @ 296bhp

Offline parrish

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 06:08:16 pm »
Further to this, I fitted new alloys to my car, and the garage told me that I needed four whell alignment, as one of the rear wheels was slightly out of line
I tried all the local tyre places, and most of them were £160-£200.
I tried my local main stealers (VW Aberdeen) and they did it for £84!
Shock!
a knock on a kerb can upset the mk 5 suspicion-it has an eccentric bolt on the top susension arm which adjust the camber, but you need the right kit to do it

Offline Joemk5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 06:24:37 am »
Check pressures if you get uneven wear aswell

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 05:48:25 pm »
Got any camber?

Otherwise, I suspect an allignment will fix it! A friend has had exactly the same, within 3 months the inside was 1mm and the outside still pretty much new. An allignment sorted him out.
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

MPS

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 05:59:23 pm »
When I had my 4 wheel alignment done on a hunter they found the camber was out on the rear but couldn't adjust it as the bolts on the lower bushes had seized. So I need new bushes!

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 12:06:58 am »
In short there appears to be two thoughts behind this issue. Having just bought a mk5 gti dsg I found that both rear inner tyres were sawtoothed away and very badly worn. I have been reliably informed that there are two tie rod arms, one either side that fail and cause the alignment to move thus scrubbing the tyre and you need to replace them and get a 4 wheel alignment completed. I did this yesterday. Parts were £96 for both from main dealer and took 1.5 hours to fit. Tracked and all good. The other idea is that VW set the camber so it would hold the road the best but the side effect was increased tyre wear. I lent more to a part failing than a deliberate act by VW as it did not ring true.