Make a donation

Author Topic: MB A45 AMG driving experience  (Read 5313 times)

Offline JigBake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
MB A45 AMG driving experience
« on: July 29, 2013, 12:48:35 pm »
I went do Mercedes-Benz world yesterday to drive the new A45 AMG and was absolutely amazed and blown away. After watching all the reviews I knew it was going to be good and I was still impressed with how much of a weapon it was. They really let me drive the car hard to really experience the car. The brakes, the race start, the gearbox was all jaw dropping. As for the noise on over run and gear changes! The car wants for nothing, is so complete and my god do I want one sooo bad.

Words cant describe it but Just thought that I would very very breifly share my experience.

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
Re: MB A45 AMG driving experience
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 03:39:40 pm »
 :jumpmove:

couple of questions - did you notice the downshifts to be annoying when entering corners?

have you driven an m135i?

was it quicker than an R32?
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline JigBake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 05:39:20 pm »
I cant say I noticed the downshifts annouying me at any time, but brooklands is such a tight track that one gear gets you most of the way round. I thought the gearbox was great IMO, especially considering they are usually Mercedes' weak spot. From what I experienced they have done a very good job.

I havent drove the M135i no, but will end up getting A45 in the near future. Not a massive fan of it TBH. As for the R32 comment, are you serious  :laugh:

As for handling, an R32 does not feel no where near as accomplished and im a big fan of the R32, as I had one.

Have you drove an A45 yourself??

Saintsteve

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 07:10:24 pm »
Is your Edition 30 tuned?? And how did it compare to it? DSG to Mercedes Version?

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 08:07:58 pm »
I cant say I noticed the downshifts annouying me at any time, but brooklands is such a tight track that one gear gets you most of the way round. I thought the gearbox was great IMO, especially considering they are usually Mercedes' weak spot. From what I experienced they have done a very good job.

I havent drove the M135i no, but will end up getting A45 in the near future. Not a massive fan of it TBH. As for the R32 comment, are you serious  :laugh:

As for handling, an R32 does not feel no where near as accomplished and im a big fan of the R32, as I had one.

Have you drove an A45 yourself??

nah not driven one but would like to. Think i would prefer it over the M135i but would have to drive both. R32 is a long standing forum joke as nothing is faster than it accept... white van man
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 08:13:58 pm »

Offline JigBake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 08:17:53 pm »
My car is S2+ making 351bhp. Its hard to compare with the speed because The highest gear I got into was 3rd. Up until 3rd my car wouldnt stand a chance, it really covered ground quickly. I cant see it being any faster after or during 3rd though, it cant be. Would be an interesting race.

As for a comparison to DSG, my car is manual and the only DSG car that I have driven is a new Polo GTI with the 7spd, which is very impressive, but what I found better with the AMG is full control of the gearbox in manual mode, it will not change gear unless you pull either of the paddles. For that reason only I think it was better. Appart from that the gear changes just seems the same, the speed of shifts and smoothness etc.
I cant compare to the 6spd DSG in the golf though as I have never been in one sorry.

Offline JigBake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 09:18:59 pm »

nah not driven one but would like to. Think i would prefer it over the M135i but would have to drive both. R32 is a long standing forum joke as nothing is faster than it accept... white van man

Im sure the M135i is great, but it is not for me at all thanks.
As for the R32 comment, I clearly missed the humour and do remember some of the comparison threads. Woops

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 09:21:48 pm »
Did you pay the £295 that MB are asking for the first 100 drives?

Offline JigBake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 10:15:57 pm »
Did you pay the £295 that MB are asking for the first 100 drives?

Yea, plus the £15 waiver. I am number 017 to drive it. I got a certificate and the first 100 also get a named plaque go on the wall somewhere. It will drop in price once the hype has dropped I assume.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 10:29:43 pm »
That's what I was going to do but not at that price.  :smiley:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=rjb1h8467gggishbgcdhl0efr2&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 10:39:39 pm »
300 quid to drive a road car? 

If youve got any of that gear left... let me know!  :grin:

Offline JigBake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 10:51:33 pm »
I also aggree that it is expensive but it was a present. Theres no denying it, especially when you consider my friend drove an E63 AMG (560bhp) for the same time and he paid £130 as a last minute buy. Great day out though.

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 11:08:29 pm »
Very nice.
I had a drive of APR's Stage 3 + Golf R running Haldex controller VWR brakes etc and 460bhp.

Absolutely stunning...drove it on the roads around Castle Combe and on circuit where it was lapping at 1.16 a lap!
This package achieves 0-60 in 3.2 and was extremely well resolved. It is so good that at a recent Porsche day at Goodwood GT3 owners were queing to get in and experience it.

I priced the package up and the way to go is buy a cheap S3 as the whole lot soon adds up but you get one hell of a bit of kit.

DIY is the way to go and save money but even with brakes exhaust intercooler suspension, Haldex controller, DSG mapping or uprated clutch pack with car it still adds up to 25-30k dependant on donor car.

A 350-360 2wd Edition 30 with diff, brakes, suspension is still a compelling package on track with the right set up...I'm doing this to my new toy at the mo.

Is the AMG A45 a 40k investment? 
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 11:43:29 pm »
The AMG after 3 years will probably be worth about 25k if that answers the question lol.