Make a donation

Author Topic: Cambelt change time, need advice please.  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Matthew.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Cambelt change time, need advice please.
« on: August 10, 2013, 09:19:24 am »
Hi guys,

My cambelt is overdue so will be booking it in shortly. Now coming from Renaultsport cars, I'm not really clued up on the Golf's cambelt details.

What is involved, is it just a cambelt/tensioners/waterpump that needs changing or is there an aux belt, or anything else that needs doing at the same time?

Any advice would be more than welcome  :happy2:
2006 Golf GTI - Diamond Black Pearl - Edition 30 Pescaras - Armrest - CD Multi-changer - Colour Coded Rear Valance

Progress thread - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,65230.new.html#new

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
Re: Cambelt change time, need advice please.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 10:19:27 am »
no need to change aux belt.
cambelt and tensioners come in a kit, doing waterpump saves on labour charges and the risk of it seizing and destroying the belt & engine, worth doing if you intend to keep the car.
vw dealer price £445 with water pump, but you should to be able to negotiate to £400.
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline Matthew.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 10:30:35 am »
Ah brilliant thanks for that! So it comes as part of a "kit" then.

Thanks a lot for that info!
2006 Golf GTI - Diamond Black Pearl - Edition 30 Pescaras - Armrest - CD Multi-changer - Colour Coded Rear Valance

Progress thread - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,65230.new.html#new

Offline suave

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 11:32:58 am »
David at SERE Motors in Belfast did me a cambelt kit for £128. He has dealt with a few members on here - genuine parts too

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 02:31:16 pm »
Mathew, a word of warning if you are doing it yourself, although I have never changed one myself, I know my limits  :scared:,  a main citroen dealer messed my diesel up, pump was 5 teeth out. There is a vw alignment tool they didn't use so they bodged it. Take it to someone you trust & has done loads of golfs, failing that a vw dealer.
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline Matthew.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 04:40:21 pm »
Oh I won't be doing it myself, it will be going to main dealer of trusted indie.

I just wanted to know what is involved  :smiley: