Make a donation

Author Topic: CANBUS Gateway help needed!  (Read 822 times)

Offline Leebo310

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
CANBUS Gateway help needed!
« on: August 07, 2013, 09:28:45 am »
I've posted this in the Technical Section but so far no one has been able to help so thought I'd post it in here and try and get some more people to see it! I've also ran a search about the CANBUS gateway issues but despite the loads of info, I still can't find an answer to my question!

Do the battery drain issues only occur when you upgrade to another OEM model or is it literally for any replacements to the existing unit? I've ordered an ebay Erisin 1019v unit  and wanted to know if this is going to drain my battery when I fit it! It comes with a supplied Dual CANBUS decoder apparently...

My unit is turning up in the next couple of days, which is why I'm keen to get an answer asap!

Cheers

Leebo

55 plate GTI DSG / Revo remap / Miltek cat back exhaust / Evolution Motorsport Induction Kit / Sony XAV 62-BT head unit/ LED Rear numberplate lights

Offline Palooza

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: CANBUS Gateway help needed!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 11:55:31 am »
From what I've read no you don't.. However it may stay on all of the time, but as its designed for the golf ect and comes with the the adapter it should be fine. If it does drain your battery theres a temporary solution involving fuses until you can upgrade your can gateway.

Offline skard

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 12:01:24 pm »
CAN gateway issues only apply to new generation OEM HU's such as RNS510, RNS315, RCD510 - not aftermarket ones.

If it comes with a CAN box, this is something else. A box that converts signals so the HU integrates with the car wiring and switches off when it is meant to, integrates with cluster and dash brightness etc. Without this you would need to take a feed from a switched live so it didn't stay on, but this won't be a problem if the CAN box is provided.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline Leebo310

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 08:40:15 am »
Ah great stuff, cheers for the replies!
55 plate GTI DSG / Revo remap / Miltek cat back exhaust / Evolution Motorsport Induction Kit / Sony XAV 62-BT head unit/ LED Rear numberplate lights