Make a donation

Author Topic: Jbenekeorr's MK5 GTI DSG  (Read 5615 times)

Offline jbenekeorr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Jbenekeorr's MK5 GTI DSG
« on: August 15, 2013, 09:39:35 pm »
Hi all,

I recently joined the forum when buying my Golf.

First, a bit of 'back-story'

I'm 20, live in Leicestershire and this is my 4th car. Started at 17 with a 2000 Megane Coupe, sold that and bought another (it was actually a pretty good car - considering what you get for £500!).

I sold my second Megane in January of this year and bought a MK4 Golf V5, I saved for it for 18 months and loved it! Unfortunately it didn't love me so much - it had problem after problem. I worked out that I spent £1150 in repairs in 6 months! A week after buying the Golf, I got my job at an Energy Consultancy firm which meant I really needed to be able to rely on the car to get me to work.

The V5 -

Seeing as I loved the MK4 so much - the natural step would be to get a newer one!

The MK5

I had decided after a lot of research that I was going to aim for a DSG, max of 60,000 miles and '56 reg or newer.

I went up to Parkway Volkswagen in Leicester to see if they had any MK5 GTI's in which I could look at - just to get a feel for them. I had no intention of buying from them as I had assumed ones direct from VW were massively expensive.

I had a scout round and there were none around. But for some reason, I turned back and happened to spot that there was one. It looked waaay out of my price range but I wanted to see if I could drive one. I had a look in the window and the price was just about manageable! I couldn't believe it - it had leather, the 18" Monza's and the DSG box - surely it must have galactic mileage on it! When the lady opened it up, I saw just 38,000 miles. I think at that moment I had made up my mind - I was not leaving without having bought that car!!!

I did have a proper drive and a good look around the car - it only made me want it more! No curbing on the wheels at all, really good tread on Bridgestone Pilot Sport 3's all round, cambelt changed and not a mark on the leather interior.

I traded the V5 in against it as I simply didn't feel that I could bring myself to sell that car on to anyone. Just that week the air con had packed up and it had started cutting out. The thought of it treating someone else the way it had treated me was unbearable! The part-ex price was awful - just £350. The bodywork wasn't very good which didn't help this.

I picked up the car last Thursday and I don't think I've stopped grinning!

Few pics

I plan to do a few little mods to the car - I never go for anything very extreme but I like to be able to fiddle around with stuff!

Offline ukshaun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 6
  • If in doubt.. flat out
Re: Jbenekeorr's MK5 GTI DSG
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 09:46:50 pm »
Nice motor  :driver:
My progress thread www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,66117.0.html
Mods done: revo map, new south boost gauge, rcd510 dab, gti grill, gti colour coded valance, tinted lights, leds, gti spoiler

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 09:52:24 pm »
Great looking car mate, and fair play to you for not selling on a dog privately :congrats: :happy2:

Offline Biano44

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 14
  • The CC GT 200
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 09:56:00 pm »
Hey,
Another Lesterite. Lovely car, you won't be disappointed.
If you want to see any of the mods on my car, to see if you like any of them, just let me know.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 07:17:12 am by Biano44 »

Offline mervil

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 10:01:23 pm »
Lovely mate ! How do you find the DSG box coming from the V5?
Mine-               '99 Impreza WRX STi Type R in white
Mrs Merv's-   '07 Golf GTi in blue

:)

Offline jbenekeorr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 10:01:59 pm »
It hasn't taken long for me to start messing with it! Only very minor things (that's a theme you'll start to notice!)

I went and got some Autosol to clean up the exhaust as it was very black! Also some leather cleaner and some stuff to protect it too!

Hit eBay and bought some new key badges as the old ones were already going horrid.

I've also fitted some chrome indicator bulbs to get rid of the orange from the lenses, some improved side light bulbs and some GTI seat inserts. (see, I told you it was minor)

I also bought a pair of front and rear red GTI badges. Annoyingly the front one will not fit the grille!! In the end, I took the old front badge off, removed the letters from the clip in backing plate and stuck the letters from the red rear badge onto it. This is the result (i'm chuffed!)

And lastly - I tried my DA polisher out on it this evening as there were some car park scuffs on both offside wheel arches. it has made a massive improvement to them. Nice shine too! I hope to do the whole car soon, when I get chance.

Offline jbenekeorr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 10:08:09 pm »
Woah replies already!!

Hey,
Another Lesterite. Lovely car, you won't be disappointed.
If you want any of the mods on my car, to see if you like any of them, just let me know.

I'd love to come and look at the car at some point. I live near Lutterworth and work in Beaumont Leys. Where abouts are you?

Lovely mate ! How do you find the DSG box coming from the V5?

I am really impressed with the DSG box, even better than I could have imagined. It feels like a totally different car to the V5 - in comparison it was very soft and lazy. It was a bit of a brute and sounded great but the GTI has a lot more shove and is infinitely better to drive!!! I'm having to get used to the turbo as i'm used to a very gradual power band, not ready for the turbo to spin up and send you flying into next week!!!!

Offline Biano44

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 14
  • The CC GT 200
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 10:25:58 pm »
Not far from Beaumont Leys actually. Definitely have to meet up somewhere.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:35:15 am by Biano44 »

Offline Shaun-m

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • www.upandcut.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 04:36:34 am »
lovely car mate looks spot on I am from Leicester too just down the road in Hinckley and new to the forum  , whats next for the golf then?

Offline woahnowboys

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 09:15:46 am »
Beautiful :popcornsoda:
What DA did you use out of curiosity?

'87 MK1 Cabby - To be 20vT'd.
MK5 Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys

Offline jbenekeorr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 05:47:14 pm »
lovely car mate looks spot on I am from Leicester too just down the road in Hinckley and new to the forum  , whats next for the golf then?

Thanks  :smiley: I live pretty near to you then

What's next? Hmmmm I don't know, I intended not to do anything for a few months and enjoy it but that went out the window! Probably be going to Rtech for a remap fairly soon.

Beautiful :popcornsoda:
What DA did you use out of curiosity?

I have a DAS-6. Just the basic one. Fantastic piece of kit - only problem is it's like a carpet cleaner ... you buy one and everyone else wants a go  :signLOL:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 08:43:32 am by jbenekeorr »

Offline woahnowboys

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 09:47:18 pm »
I have a DAS-6. Just the basic one. Fantastic piece of kit - only problem is it's like a carpet cleaner ... you buy one and everyone else wants a go  :signLOL:

Ah I see, I'm looking at getting a DAS-6 or G220. Did it get rid of swirls well?

'87 MK1 Cabby - To be 20vT'd.
MK5 Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys

Offline jbenekeorr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 09:55:39 pm »
I have a DAS-6. Just the basic one. Fantastic piece of kit - only problem is it's like a carpet cleaner ... you buy one and everyone else wants a go  :signLOL:

Ah I see, I'm looking at getting a DAS-6 or G220. Did it get rid of swirls well?

Yes, you can use whatever combination of pad/polish you want. I have done around 10 cars with mine. Swirls are very easily dealt with - on my old car, I went as far as wet sanding the paintwork to remove deep scuffs and buffing it back up with the DA.

Here's one of my threads on detalingworld when i sorted out the swirls on a friend's car http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=267995

Detailingworld is very good if you have questions :)

Get one - you won't regret it!

Offline jbenekeorr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 07:27:09 pm »
I started today by paying a visit to R-Tech in Hinckley just to get an idea of what they can do and how long in advance i'd need to be booking.

Plan is to get a stage 1 in a couple of months and possibly a DSG map too.

When I got home, I fitted the new headlight bulbs i'd ordered - they're called 'Osram Cool Blue Intense' Despite the name - they are not blue at all (I hate blue lights) but they do give a very crisp white light. I'm really impressed. I couldn't get a very good picture of them at all but i'd highly recommend them. The sidelights are very white in colour and these even make those look yellow! They are fully road legal and were about £16 posted - very similar price to Osram Nightbreakers which I had previously and found to be quite yellow.

Then I whipped out the DA! Used a Menzerna polishing pad with Menzerna power finish cutting polish. Unfortunately just before I finished, the pad decided to die quite spectacularly!!! Nearly had my head off!  :surprised:

The paint was actually in a worse state than I thought. It has clearly seen a LOT of car washes in its time. A lot of swirls!

A little 50/50 shot. I don't have any of that fancy blue masking tape left ... I just stuck some electrical tape to my shirt a few times then popped it on the bonnet.  :P

Bit blurry...

Just realised - the picture of the rear makes it look like i'm wearing M C Hammer style balloon pants!!!!

Finished off by applying a coat of DoDo Juice - Purple Haze and then washing the car.

After that it started to rain so I didn't get any good pictures of it  :sad1:

Thanks for looking  :smiley:  :smiley:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 07:35:38 pm by jbenekeorr »

Offline Shaun-m

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • www.upandcut.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 12:23:38 pm »
hahah it always rains after you have spent time cleaning looks spot on though love the reflection shot.