Make a donation

Author Topic: Buying my ed30, private sale help!!!  (Read 3853 times)

Offline edition30jmr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
  • ED30
Buying my ed30, private sale help!!!
« on: August 16, 2013, 06:43:47 pm »
Hi guys need some advice! I'm going to view an ed30 on Monday!

Here's the spec:
HPI CLEAR
2007 Red 38k miles
manual gearbox
New cambelt and brakes (disks and pads) plus new tyres!
3 owners (he says he's the only owner hpi says otherwise)
(He's had the car for one year)
Highline display
iPod connection in armrest
Mint condition
Price is £11000

What do you guys think, what things should I look out for with a private sale, how will I know if the car has been thrashed etc as I've always brought from garages, so I'm a bit concerned in case anything goes wrong!?

Any help etc would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Jay :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 07:12:48 pm by edition30jmr »
Ed30 Beast!

Offline Waynevr6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Buying my ed30, private sale help!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 07:06:30 pm »
If buying privately I always look at things like tyres to see if they have been replaced by a decent brand or budgets, check all the service history is upto date, look through receipts to see if any work has been carried out.

As for thrashing, most gtis will of had the odd blast so that should be nothing to worry about.

Offline edition30jmr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • ED30
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 07:12:12 pm »
Okay that's brilliant mate! It's also had the Cambelt changed recently and fresh disks and pads as well as new tyres!

Thanks Jay
Ed30 Beast!

Offline Jonny

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 14
  • G7R Owner
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45008.0.html
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 07:36:28 pm »
11K seems abit too much given it's a private buy, you'd expect that price from the dealers! Is that all the spec? No xenons, mfsw etc?

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 07:40:05 pm »
What tyres and disks/pads have been put on will indicate what type of owner the seller is , if he has skimped then i would steer clear at £11k especially as he says he is the only owner and its had three . Documentation of the servicing is paramount too , anyone can get a service book stamped .
With 38k on it there really should be no signs of any excessive wear , if your're near Ipswich come and look at mine at 21k to see what a Mint condition one should look like (i value mine at £11k too but its not for sale)

Good luck , but if unsure don't buy it or at least get a second opinion  :smiley:
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 07:44:35 pm »
It does seem short of spec and a fair wedge for an early, manual Eddy, albeit with decent mileage.

I'd have no problem buying privately, you've done an HPI check, look at the condition of the interior, paintwork and engine bay, will give you an idea what's what. FSH is a must.

I'd offer £10k and walk away if they say no as you'll find better spec'd cars for £11k. Probably some on here in the For Sale section.

Happy car hunting.  :drinking:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Jonathon555

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 08:24:58 pm »
Make sure you stick your head under the car any have a good look at the fuel filter.

If the service book says its been done and the bolt looks fully rusted in , then service history my be cuckoo .

Check the bills and check the oil , water etc     if the service is full vw ring vw

11k does seem steep for a private sale.

I have just picked one up from main dealer with similar miles , full vw history for less

Offline Leebo310

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 08:56:48 pm »
I'd be really concerned about the fact he's saying he's the only owner when HPI says otherwise. The V5 will confirm the number of owners too so I'd ask to see a picture of that before you even go to view the car.
Claiming he's the only owner is quite a big lie and I'd be pretty worried about that...
Also how does he claim to be the only owner and then have only owned the car for one year?!?!

Something doesn't sound right to me... :confused:

55 plate GTI DSG / Revo remap / Miltek cat back exhaust / Evolution Motorsport Induction Kit / Sony XAV 62-BT head unit/ LED Rear numberplate lights

Offline jedi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • GTI Edition 30
    • RP Driving School
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 09:04:06 pm »
I bought my edy 30 privately.  Make sure when you test drive it there are no banging or knocking sounds and it pulls smooth and hard in each gear.  It shouldn'5 pull to one side under heavy braking. Check to make sure there is no blue smoke from the rear.

Have a good look under the bonnet and check all fluid levels like the other member posted.  Open the oil filler cap and check for a white mayonaise like substance.  If anything like that walk away, most likely head gasket gone and is expensive to fix.  Oil should be a honey like colour and not black and clumpy.  Again probably been neglected if you find this.  

Check tyre ware and look for rust.  They are pretty much rust free however check the door pillars ESP the rear which are known to rust.  

Make sure FSH present and check this matches the receipts/invoices to show work has been done.  MOT's should be present.  Check the log book to make sure the chassis no's match up.  You can check this either under the bonnet or front of the dash under the windscreen.  

11k seems a bit much for the spec even though the mileage is low for the year of the car.  I would go in at 9k and work up.  I wouldn't pay any more than 10k max.  Good luck mate. :happy2:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 09:06:35 pm »
Make sure you stick your head under the car any have a good look at the fuel filter.

If the service book says its been done and the bolt looks fully rusted in , then service history my be cuckoo .

Check the bills and check the oil , water etc     if the service is full vw ring vw

I have just picked one up from main dealer with similar miles , full vw history for less

Fuel filter is a non serviceable item on a petrol Mk5 Golf (unlike the diesel) and VW don't replace it during the life of the car so not an indicator of anything so it wont appear on any VW service. Lots of us do change the fuel filter as a serviceable item, after all it is a filter and only costs £20 ish.  

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 09:18:42 pm »
I think the title of the thread says alot - you already mention "my ed30". Get any notion of you owning this car already out of your head ASAP. I made this mistake a few years ago - stopped me from walking away when i should have. I had plenty of time to reflect on this afterwards!

Just echoing what pretty much every one else has said really. I would find out if the water pump as changed at the same time as the cambelt.

Might be worth get the MoT certificate checked out to make sure the mileage adds up..

Hope this helps

Rich

Offline Jonathon555

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 09:20:04 pm »

Fuel filter is a non serviceable item on a petrol Mk5 Golf (unlike the diesel) and VW don't replace it during the life of the car so not an indicator of anything so it wont appear on any VW service. Lots of us do change the fuel filter as a serviceable item, after all it is a filter and only costs £20 ish.  

:happy2:

That is good info on the fuel filter, vw insisted it had to be done at 40k .

In fact they are insisting on changing the spark plugs, fuel filter , air filter every 2 years at present £295

Offline edition30jmr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • ED30
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 09:34:54 pm »
I think the title of the thread says alot - you already mention "my ed30". Get any notion of you owning this car already out of your head ASAP. I made this mistake a few years ago - stopped me from walking away when i should have. I had plenty of time to reflect on this afterwards!

Just echoing what pretty much every one else has said really. I would find out if the water pump as changed at the same time as the cambelt.

Might be worth get the MoT certificate checked out to make sure the mileage adds up..

Hope this helps

Rich

Hi Rich yeah that's helped loads guys I really appreciate what advise you guys have said to me it's really helped! Like one person said I'm gonna go in at 9k once everything has been checked throughout!

Thanks again! Il let you guys know how I get on!

Jay
Ed30 Beast!

Offline Leebo310

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 09:41:02 pm »
Have you got a link to the advert?
55 plate GTI DSG / Revo remap / Miltek cat back exhaust / Evolution Motorsport Induction Kit / Sony XAV 62-BT head unit/ LED Rear numberplate lights

Offline edition30jmr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • ED30
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 10:50:45 pm »
Have you got a link to the advert?

Yes the eBay item number is: 171079748780

Whack it in the search bar :)

Please give me some more opinions! Thanks again guys
Ed30 Beast!