Make a donation

Author Topic: GTI gone after 8 years, here's the replacement..  (Read 7455 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Re: GTI gone after 8 years, here's the replacement..
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 06:59:04 pm »
i just fancy the 2 32gb sd card slots tbh.  Did you code it or did it just work.  Someone is selling them in Manchester who fits and supplies for £400 but I'm well aware there is a massive theft problem with these units.  30 secs to remove is just stupid.  Do phone controls come up on unit and are directions all on the dash display?

Cheers,

Ryan

TBH I skipped the coding at first and it all worked, then tinkering with VCDS afterwards highlighted a few errors but nothing that stopped the function of any of the bits I use (most of it, tbh!).

Yeah personally fella I wouldn't go near anything like that in Manchester, but ETTO if you have a very reliable recommendation or similar.
No idea in honesty as I don't use the inbuilt bluetooth stuff, I've got an eBay £20 hands free universal unit which does me nicely.

The Nav directions appear in the DIS as well as the RNS display, yar  :happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 07:02:05 pm »
And you're right, they're deceptively quick. Mines on Revo Stg1 and I'd say it's marginally nippier than my GTI now. Before on standard map, it wasn't far off in feel at all point to point, if I was absolutely honest.

Yea, under normal driving conditions I'd say the a3 feels quicker. When you use all the revs the gti is quicker but I'd imagine not by much.

Defo', I'm impressed with the CR170 engine like yourself. I've had it a year as of this week, now, and it's just run itself really, despite some hard drives. With the coilovers, map and brakes I want to take it Bedford drome' in September to see how it feels when pushed properly.

Can't fault it though, I really don't feel wanting more in any area from the GTI which I'm pleased about as my fear was to move to a TDI, would very much give the sensation of a downwards step. Just hasn't happened  :happy2:

I have to say the same about my CR 170. 60+mpg for me this week, and bags of smooth torque from a sharp throttle response. Takes you buy surprise sometimes with how much oomph it has, especially 3rd gear about 40mph I think it would be very similar performance to a GTI  :surprised:

Revo have got some great results out of it, they recon stage 2 (DPF removed) is as quick as a stage 1 2.0 TSI...

Sounds like my experience Gray  :happy2:
I'd say a stage 1 CR 170 A3/Rocco/MK6 must be somewhere between a stock MK6 GTI and stock Edition 35. I've 'come up against' a few Audi 3.0TDI's of different flavour and there's very little in it compared with mine stage 1, the weight advantage and torque being our strong points. Yet to do a full comparison though.

I'll look into stage 2, Milltek and DPF removal sometime later in ownership when Alex has twisted my arm :driver:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline N8KOW

• Detailer - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 7
    • Kowalski Details
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 07:03:08 pm »
It's funny as I'm going from my A3 of 5 years to an ED30 & I can't wait, you'll like the Audi though  :party:
IG: http://instagram.com/kowalskidetails
2014 Mk7 Golf R on Order...

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 09:25:49 pm »
And you're right, they're deceptively quick. Mines on Revo Stg1 and I'd say it's marginally nippier than my GTI now. Before on standard map, it wasn't far off in feel at all point to point, if I was absolutely honest.

Yea, under normal driving conditions I'd say the a3 feels quicker. When you use all the revs the gti is quicker but I'd imagine not by much.

Defo', I'm impressed with the CR170 engine like yourself. I've had it a year as of this week, now, and it's just run itself really, despite some hard drives. With the coilovers, map and brakes I want to take it Bedford drome' in September to see how it feels when pushed properly.

Can't fault it though, I really don't feel wanting more in any area from the GTI which I'm pleased about as my fear was to move to a TDI, would very much give the sensation of a downwards step. Just hasn't happened  :happy2:

I have to say the same about my CR 170. 60+mpg for me this week, and bags of smooth torque from a sharp throttle response. Takes you buy surprise sometimes with how much oomph it has, especially 3rd gear about 40mph I think it would be very similar performance to a GTI  :surprised:

Revo have got some great results out of it, they recon stage 2 (DPF removed) is as quick as a stage 1 2.0 TSI...

Sounds like my experience Gray  :happy2:
I'd say a stage 1 CR 170 A3/Rocco/MK6 must be somewhere between a stock MK6 GTI and stock Edition 35. I've 'come up against' a few Audi 3.0TDI's of different flavour and there's very little in it compared with mine stage 1, the weight advantage and torque being our strong points. Yet to do a full comparison though.

I'll look into stage 2, Milltek and DPF removal sometime later in ownership when Alex has twisted my arm :driver:

Ah was yours the one Alex put on Facebook?

I'd probably go to him or Revo HQ to have mine done  :party:

Keeping up with a 3.0 TDI is impressive. I'd guess that with the extra torque, it should've quicker than a mk6 GTI  :drool:

Have you got an intake then? Did it make much difference?

Graeme
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr