Make a donation

Author Topic: GTI gone after 8 years, here's the replacement..  (Read 7456 times)

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
GTI gone after 8 years, here's the replacement..
« on: August 17, 2013, 09:59:47 pm »
After years of wondering if I could ever bear to sell the GTI, I popped it on ebay recently to see if i'd get any interest and I could have sold it 20 times so at the price I was asking, I had to let it go.  To be fair, due to having a diesel car in the household, it only got used occassionally and was a bit of a waste covering just 3000 miles a year.

When it came to replacement (had to be diesel, pretty quick, german, and 5 door) I fancied a mk7 GTD but couldn't justify the cost, drove a mk6 GTD and it didn't do it for me like the mk5 gti so started looking at other brands.  Drove some mercs, a 1 series, 3 series and in the end I kept coming back to A3 black editions.  I'm a fan of the black edition touches, the xenons/drls, the bose sound system and felt comfortable in the vag platform I'm so used to.

Test drove a 140 black edition which was a lovely car but just a little too slow so decided it would have to be a 170.  One finally popped up last Tuesday after viewing 4 really neglected ones, test drove and left deposit Wednesday and had the joy of collection yesterday. 

It's a late MY11 version with the 170 tdi cr engine, 17k on the clock and I'm over the moon with it.  Super refined, quiet, super frugal, had 5 doors and feels beautifully built.  I'm pretty shocked how quick it is tbh, loads of torque, I am smitten i have to say.

Only negative for me is the steering, it has very little feel (I noted the same with the 140 I drove on PS3's) and the front end has no where near the grip of the GTI but getting a bit older, the added comfort and 60mpg seems to appeal a bit more to me :laugh:

I've taken some pics from a wash today and a quick run over with the polisher to get of the huge amount of swirls.  It still has a fair few scratches (from I assume a water blade) which I'll tackle over the coming months.  Hope you all like, I plan on hanging around on here, still the best forum out there :driver:

Offline geordie56

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: GTI gone after 8 years, here's the replacement..
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 10:13:25 pm »
Cracking motor mate weve just rcentley got rid of ours. Had it 3 yrs and loved it.  :happy2:

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 10:15:40 pm »
Cracking motor mate weve just rcentley got rid of ours. Had it 3 yrs and loved it.  :happy2:

Cheers mate, I'm hoping not to get so attached to this one but I think that is going to prove a little difficult  :laugh:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 10:30:51 pm »
nice motor

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 12:20:48 am »
Only negative for me is the steering, it has very little feel

Welcome to Audi mate  :grin: :laugh:

One of my mates who has a MK5 GTI famously asked whether I'd set the PSI to 90 something on each tyre because of the light feel after driving my Black Edition  :grin:

BE looks good. I like the Mini too tbh  :happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 12:23:06 am »
And you're right, they're deceptively quick. Mines on Revo Stg1 and I'd say it's marginally nippier than my GTI now. Before on standard map, it wasn't far off in feel at all point to point, if I was absolutely honest.
Pete

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 12:43:10 am »
Only negative for me is the steering, it has very little feel

Welcome to Audi mate  :grin: :laugh:

One of my mates who has a MK5 GTI famously asked whether I'd set the PSI to 90 something on each tyre because of the light feel after driving my Black Edition  :grin:

BE looks good. I like the Mini too tbh  :happy2:

Cheers, mini is an sd with the 2 litre bmw diesel in and is a little animal, runs rings around the audi and golf. Problem is its done 13k since delivery last December so the audi will be sharing the miles

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 12:44:46 am »
And you're right, they're deceptively quick. Mines on Revo Stg1 and I'd say it's marginally nippier than my GTI now. Before on standard map, it wasn't far off in feel at all point to point, if I was absolutely honest.

Yea, under normal driving conditions I'd say the a3 feels quicker. When you use all the revs the gti is quicker but I'd imagine not by much.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 12:06:14 pm »

Yea, under normal driving conditions I'd say the a3 feels quicker. When you use all the revs the gti is quicker but I'd imagine not by much.

Defo', I'm impressed with the CR170 engine like yourself. I've had it a year as of this week, now, and it's just run itself really, despite some hard drives. With the coilovers, map and brakes I want to take it Bedford drome' in September to see how it feels when pushed properly.

Can't fault it though, I really don't feel wanting more in any area from the GTI which I'm pleased about as my fear was to move to a TDI, would very much give the sensation of a downwards step. Just hasn't happened  :happy2:
Pete

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 06:31:51 pm »
Did you retrofit the rns-e?

I'd like to add one but the antenna mod which I'm told is essential is almost as costly as the device :-(

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 06:39:40 pm »

I'd like to add one but the antenna mod which I'm told is essential is almost as costly as the device :-(

Did indeed.

Antenna? Is that a Sportback only thing?  :confused:
Pete

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 07:49:37 pm »

Did indeed.

Antenna? Is that a Sportback only thing?  :confused:

Don't think so but I've been reading that reception becomes very poor.  Something was changed on the facelift cars from what I've read.  Might just risk it.  Where did you buy yours, any recommendations of sellers.  Also, any good and worth the cash?

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 07:57:36 pm »
None the wiser to that one fella? Apologies. Put it like this, I blindly removed the original symphony thing and fitted the RNS.

Everything worked there on - Bose, MFFBSW controls, radio and nav functions etc... Only thing that needed extra wiring was the Aux in and I managed to do that too.
Mines an MY10 if that helps.

eBay, came from what appeared like Lithuania but was a good price. the RNS510 is superior if I was truly honest, but it's good enough for what I need. The Nav is smoother than my own personal experience with the GTI's RNS510, but I think that was due to my poor positioning of the GPS antenna.
Pete

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 08:04:53 pm »
None the wiser to that one fella? Apologies. Put it like this, I blindly removed the original symphony thing and fitted the RNS.

Everything worked there on - Bose, MFFBSW controls, radio and nav functions etc... Only thing that needed extra wiring was the Aux in and I managed to do that too.
Mines an MY10 if that helps.

eBay, came from what appeared like Lithuania but was a good price. the RNS510 is superior if I was truly honest, but it's good enough for what I need. The Nav is smoother than my own personal experience with the GTI's RNS510, but I think that was due to my poor positioning of the GPS antenna.

i just fancy the 2 32gb sd card slots tbh.  Did you code it or did it just work.  Someone is selling them in Manchester who fits and supplies for £400 but I'm well aware there is a massive theft problem with these units.  30 secs to remove is just stupid.  Do phone controls come up on unit and are directions all on the dash display?

Cheers,

Ryan

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 11:27:21 pm »

Defo', I'm impressed with the CR170 engine like yourself. I've had it a year as of this week, now, and it's just run itself really, despite some hard drives. With the coilovers, map and brakes I want to take it Bedford drome' in September to see how it feels when pushed properly.

Can't fault it though, I really don't feel wanting more in any area from the GTI which I'm pleased about as my fear was to move to a TDI, would very much give the sensation of a downwards step. Just hasn't happened  :happy2:

I have to say the same about my CR 170. 60+mpg for me this week, and bags of smooth torque from a sharp throttle response. Takes you buy surprise sometimes with how much oomph it has, especially 3rd gear about 40mph I think it would be very similar performance to a GTI  :surprised:

Revo have got some great results out of it, they recon stage 2 (DPF removed) is as quick as a stage 1 2.0 TSI...
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr