Make a donation

Author Topic: Pressed plates £100 fine  (Read 4781 times)

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
Pressed plates £100 fine
« on: August 18, 2013, 12:50:25 pm »
First of all I'm not having a dig at the police this thread is just a warning to anyone else.

I have pressed plates with German font on my golf for over a year but I got stopped by the police yesterday for having them.

I was polite to the police officer during the whole time he was speaking to me and I got away with a warning because I was able to change the plates in front of him.

The worrying part of the warning was that the fines have changed in the last week and it is £100 for each plate so I could of been looking at a £200 fine. He has also take a note of my details and told me that if I am spotted with the pressed plates again I will be stopped and fined.

I also think that with the fine changing more police will be on the look out for illegal number plates.

I am thinking about getting the dubmeister legal plates but I don't know if I can be botherd with the hassle of having to prove they are legal if I get stopped with them.

Offline Jacker

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Pressed plates £100 fine
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 01:14:35 pm »
I've used the dubmeister plates on my previous cars and not been questioned about them once.

I think it depends on what area of the country you're to aswell, Police seem abit more lenient around this area.

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=dqkie2nfv6djgb8sfb1blpu5bk&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 01:22:40 pm »
The key thing here is GERMAN FONT.... nothing to actually do with pressed plates per se!

Offline Trekmeister

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 10
  • Golf GT 140
Re: Re: Pressed plates £100 fine
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 01:22:42 pm »
You mention German font which I imagine would be illegal no matter what plate you had on. I wonder if you would have been pulled if you had a legal font.  I must admit the thought of being fined is the only thing stopping me from acquiring some.

Offline Bow

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 01:25:37 pm »
Pressed ain't illegal it's the font. I used to rock pressed German plates An after being pulled 4 times in two weeks I ditched them. You can by uk pressed plates that are legal

Offline Ramsay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 01:33:39 pm »
Anything other than the british standard font is easily noticed and therefore you would probably be pulled and fined.  Another thing to watch out for is mis-spaced number plates, if you are caught and fined twice DVLA will take the plate from you.  eg MK5 5GTI instead of MK55 GTI.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 01:36:09 pm by Ramsay »

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
Re: Re: Pressed plates £100 fine
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 01:38:12 pm »
Stick to pressed plates with uk font and the BS code thingy stamped on it :)

Sent From My Samsung S3

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 01:40:33 pm »
He told me that the metal plates don't reflect the same way and can't be picked up by ANPR or speed cameras he didnt notice the font until after he stopped me.

I know the German font is illegal and I have gotten away with it for over a year, I've been followed by traffic cars plenty of times so I think the ANPR would of been able to read my plates, my plates have been automatically recognised in plenty of airport car parks too.

As I've said I'm not moaning about being stopped, but with the fines rising I think they might be more inclined to look for dodgy plates. And a £200 fine is definitely not worth the risk

Offline sootpig

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 01:50:31 pm »
 £100 :fighting:  Been using dubmeister plates for more than 5 years without any problems. One officer asked how much they cost. Cheeky bugger :grin:   
  he was more interested in my tinted windows .OEM officer honestly :signLOL:

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 01:51:03 pm »
The key thing here is GERMAN FONT.... nothing to actually do with pressed plates per se!

Rich is right.

I was very recently pulled over in a town centre for a random "flag them down" drink drive check campaign. I passed the breathaliser test with a score of 0 as expected which was completed in around five minutes.

They then spent what must've been the next 25 minutes talking to me about my pressed plates, which importantly are 100% legal and purchased in that knowledge. They have a stamp on but it's a very small font, probably size 4 font or similar in reality. The important thing is they have the stamp in the correct place and it's clearly readable at close range.

They quizzed me very politely on where they were from, how long I'd had them and the officer I spoke to for most of the time informed me that he couldn't actually scan them on his Blackberry QR reader which hooks-up with some sort of ANPR Blackberry app. He quite rightly pointed out that while they plates are legal, if some ANPR readers can't read them, it's no good to me as the owner should the vehicle go missing.

While I don't think that will be true of all the ANPR cameras on the back of traffic cars and in the ANPR fixed Van units (surely that would then be an offence?), it was interesting to find out in a chilled discussion.

No further action was required and he let me on my way.

Plates on the Audi are identical to these from my GTI. Font is completely standard, so not modified like the german pressed plates being discussed.

Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 02:16:01 pm »
Using German font you are asking for trouble. I have the legal uk font plates and will be rocking them on my M135i.

There was a circular posted to police forces by the DVLA (can someone repost) which tries to remind the police forces that pressed plates are perfectly legal providing they adhere to the correct standards.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 02:17:46 pm »
Anything other than the british standard font is easily noticed and therefore you would probably be pulled and fined.  Another thing to watch out for is mis-spaced number plates, if you are caught and fined twice DVLA will take the plate from you.  eg MK5 5GTI instead of MK55 GTI.

Who told you that ? How would DVLA know ?
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 02:20:25 pm »
He told me that the metal plates don't reflect the same way and can't be picked up by ANPR or speed cameras he didnt notice the font until after he stopped me.

I know the German font is illegal and I have gotten away with it for over a year, I've been followed by traffic cars plenty of times so I think the ANPR would of been able to read my plates, my plates have been automatically recognised in plenty of airport car parks too.

As I've said I'm not moaning about being stopped, but with the fines rising I think they might be more inclined to look for dodgy plates. And a £200 fine is definitely not worth the risk

Sorry but he's is talking rubbish that they don't reflect the same way or can't be picked up by ANPR as I've had dubmeister UK font legal pressed plates on mine for well over a year and the ANPR system at work that's in our car park has no problem whatsoever  :happy2:

Dave

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 02:29:36 pm »
I've heard of this, if mis spaced or illegal fonts on private/cherished number plates after x amount of times the DVLA revoke the plate and iirc they don't alway put it up for sale again either and you can get upto a £1000 fine as well as loosing the plate

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 03:05:45 pm »
Only in England would the government sell you a personal numberplate that says something, only to then fine you for actually buying it and using it.