Make a donation

Author Topic: Pressed plates £100 fine  (Read 4782 times)

Saintsteve

Re: Pressed plates £100 fine
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 03:15:33 pm »
Ive had dubmeister pressed plates for 4 years on my car, never stopped. Perfectly legal.

Offline Trekmeister

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 10
  • Golf GT 140
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 03:33:26 pm »
Just been looking through this interesting thread from what appears to be a Police forum. Seems most are arguing the fact because steel regardless of it being coated inst made from reflective material therefore are illegal. Some argue agains this but just shows the mentality

http://www.policespecials.com/forum/index.php?/topic/136915-pressed-metal-number-plates-uk-compliant/

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 06:21:44 pm »
Load of bollocks about not being picked up on ANPR. Wouldn't have three points on my license otherwise!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 06:53:41 pm »
Load of bollocks about not being picked up on ANPR.

It's amazing how much bull5hit the police talk about ANPR. I once had an interesting discussion with a traffic cop friend. He would not have it that it was designed by the military and only bought by the police.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=93gk46kn52gq0regedq2nfr88u&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 06:56:09 pm »
They have to call the cut off somewhere though... otherwise where would they draw the line with "acceptable number plate fonts" ??

Offline Marc-5-GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 07:11:51 pm »
I took mine to the police station before I fitted them... The copper came down with all his print ours hoping to hand me my arse but realised they were legal and was fine with them.. He also said that other fonts are illegal but his ANPR will pick up any font... Even gypsies writing on their caravan plates
3dr Reflex Silver GTI | BBS VZ | Eibach Sportlines | Cumbria

Offline arris

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 07:23:00 pm »
When i got pulled for having the front plate in my window  :laugh:

The copper looked at my rear plate which is pressed but never said anything to me, has the BS stamp etc so fully legal.

Having german font is just asking for trouble tho  :party:

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 05:26:09 pm »
I've had the dubmeister 'legal' pressed plates for the past 2.5 years. Had no issues getting parking tickets :fighting: :grin:

Also have been stopped on a random stop by the cops and they didn't even mention the plates.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:29:52 pm by Kalpsn2000 »
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 07:43:04 pm »
Just been looking through this interesting thread from what appears to be a Police forum. Seems most are arguing the fact because steel regardless of it being coated inst made from reflective material therefore are illegal. Some argue agains this but just shows the mentality

http://www.policespecials.com/forum/index.php?/topic/136915-pressed-metal-number-plates-uk-compliant/

Yeah I read this before. But regular plates are made of plastic, which is not inherently reflective anyway. It's the paper behind that makes them reflective. So I call BS.

Ultimately tho I reckon if they want to give you a ticket badly enough they will find a reason. Whilst I am firmly in the "do the police have nothing better to do" camp, if you take the risk you pays the price.

Anyway I've got legal Dubmeisters a not a problem in the last 12 months. Tbh you have to be looking out for them to notice the difference.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 08:06:16 pm »
Sub39h - sound advice right there.

I'm sure garrardrj  will back me on this.

Pressed plates are only an issue when they don't conform to legislation. I speak to, and came across, people who told me "but I bought it from ebay and they said 'cos it has a BS number, it's fine!"

The amount people that go on about "it's got a BS number on"!! errr, so what! Just because it has a BS number on it, does NOT mean it's legal.

If the following are fulfiled you have legal plates. Dubmeister/Europl8 do fully legal ones and paid £££ to get BS approval (which is what gives them the right to stamp it with a BS mark).

UK spec font as set down in legislation
Correct spacing for style of plate (ie: XX52 XXX or XXX 1234.....not X J52ON X etc)
The background is retroflective (if it is and complies with the standards set by the British Standard for numberplate, you can stick the BS number down).
The maker's name and postcode

If you have all the above, you are legal. If you get a ticket, contest it, have your day in court and you WILL win. Simple. I have had it once, unfortunately the CPS decided to drop it 5 day before court when they found out I knew what I was talking about. It has also been mentioned in two other stops. Both said fine in the end.

The DVLA will only find out IF the police officer fills in a DVLA form, takes photos of the plates and gets you to sign the form (or you refuse). DVLA won't take any other way. They then write to you going, sort it out or else. Depending on the severity will determine how quickly they withdraw the plate. Sometimes if it's that bad, DVLA will withdraw it straight away. Others you'll get one/two warnings. Regardless, the DVLA will only do this to cherish transfer plates (ie: private regs).

The problem is pressed plates (ie: metal) are not natually retroflective. They can be treated to be and that is what makes them comply with the British Standard. If you do buy a set of pressed plates, this is key if you get a ticket and want to go to court. If it is not retorflective, game over. Take a photo of the plate at night with a flash. It it reflects, it's retroflective. If it doesn't, it's not.

@Baz300 - the guy is right in a sense as metal itself doesn't reflect, but as said, depending on where you got your plates, they may well actually comply with the BS.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:10:23 pm by jonnym »
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 10:53:56 pm »
http://www.policespecials.com/forum/index.php?/topic/136915-pressed-metal-number-plates-uk-compliant/?p=2493021

But I mean, ultimately all of this is juvenile. Any plate meeting BSAU 145d will meet the legal requirements.
It could be made of beryllium.

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 07:48:45 am »
http://www.policespecials.com/forum/index.php?/topic/136915-pressed-metal-number-plates-uk-compliant/?p=2493021

But I mean, ultimately all of this is juvenile. Any plate meeting BSAU 145d will meet the legal requirements.
It could be made of beryllium.

Exactamente
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"