Make a donation

Author Topic: Tyre wear  (Read 4067 times)

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Tyre wear
« on: August 25, 2009, 09:40:16 pm »
My rear tyres have plenty of tread mostly but on the inner edge they have worn much more and are now almost serated and make a bit of noise when driving, im led to believe its a common thing, is there anything i can do about this to try and stop my tyres wearing unevenly as eventually they are going to need changing although theres plenty of tread on the majority of the tyre  :rolleye: Seems a bit crazy... but i dont want to ruin the handling either...
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Tyre wear
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 10:00:27 pm »
Have you checked your wheel alignment?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 10:03:23 pm »
Same thing has happened to mine chief and did on the A3 too...  :confused:
Apparently its something to do with poor geometry settings done at the factory, i'm taking mine to be properly aligned to stop my shiny new F1's going all 50 pence piece shaped...

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 10:36:10 pm »
Same thing has happened to mine chief and did on the A3 too...  :confused:
Apparently its something to do with poor geometry settings done at the factory, i'm taking mine to be properly aligned to stop my shiny new F1's going all 50 pence piece shaped...

I remember talking about it with you mate, i just dont want to have things changed and chance ruining the handling  :confused:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:59:16 pm »
Dunlop Sportmaxx's perchance?  These are particualry prone to wearing badly on the inside edge.  But the way the geometry is set up is harsher on the inside edge than you might expect.  Its a trade off to better handling.

I had exactly the same issue (with Dunlop Sportmaxx's), the centre tread had plenty of life but the inside edge was fubard.  I had the alignment checked and it was found to be spot on.  For what it costs its worth getting checked for peace of mind though...
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 11:15:29 pm »
Dunlop Sportmaxx's perchance?  These are particualry prone to wearing badly on the inside edge.  But the way the geometry is set up is harsher on the inside edge than you might expect.  Its a trade off to better handling.

I had exactly the same issue (with Dunlop Sportmaxx's), the centre tread had plenty of life but the inside edge was fubard.  I had the alignment checked and it was found to be spot on.  For what it costs its worth getting checked for peace of mind though...

Correct mate  :happy2:

So the problems largely down to this particular tyre? Ill know to avoid these next time if so...

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 06:04:36 pm »
I'm sure some tires will be more prone than others but its a wheel alignment issue that causes it. A couple of GTI's I looked at before buying mine had the issue you describe and I can't see them all having the same tire unless its the factory fit tire thats an issue. My old CTR was a NIGHMARE with the rear tires but after a full 4 wheel laser alignment it did stop doing it. I remember the road noise  even now from it!

If your anywhere near the Leeds area I can recommend a very good place for the alignment too. :happy2:

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 10:55:22 pm »
Im in manchester so not particularly near, i have just had my sportlines fitted amd they did an alignment so maybe that will have stopped the wearing and ill just have to put up with it how it is now...  :confused:

Offline The wheel man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 08:58:28 am »
I would be surprised if a tyre was prone to wearing only on the inside edge.  If i remember the Sportmaxx is a directional tyre so the inside edge will differ depending on what side of the vehicle is fitted.  i would say 100% alignment, even if they just put on the factory settings it would / should improve or solve the issue.  As others have said, original settings can be a little 'loose'  :happy2:
APR cat back, ECS Insert

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 10:27:20 am »
Cheers mate, so am i right in thinking then that the 4wheel alignment done after the spring fitment last will will have sorted the problem... obviously it wont solve the problem with the wear already on the tyres but will stop it getting worse?