Make a donation

Author Topic: Oh. The whistling is back  (Read 650 times)

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 12
    • Alex McCabe
Oh. The whistling is back
« on: September 11, 2013, 01:00:31 pm »
Soo, a few months back I had my DV replaced for a Rev G. As you all know, the car goes like a rocket when replaced. Recently however the whistling is back. Surely it can't be the DV? My MPG is down to 36 driving at 65mph(!) when I am sure I was closer to 40mpg at around 75mph...

Could the DV be loose, or is is more likely a boost leak?

MK5 Golf GTi 197BHP Tornado Red

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
Re: Oh. The whistling is back
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 02:17:47 pm »
It would be worth checking the DV although I think it's more likely to be a boost leak.  Most obvious suspects would be the intercooler hose seals (signs of leaks here are congealed oil deposits around the lower hose to intercooler joint).

I've recently had the same issue - I replaced the DV a while back and then over the summer developed a whistling.  When recently changing my wishbones for S3 units, I noticed the oily deposits around the lower hose/intercooler joint so bought a couple of seals from my local TPS, fitted them and no more whistle.

When I get some free time I think I will change all the remaining seals for peace of mind.

Hope this helps!
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 12
    • Alex McCabe
Re: Oh. The whistling is back
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 03:29:19 pm »
Thanks, I'll give it a look. I can't access the DV by myself, haven't got proper jacks, just widow-makers. The piping might be hard too, as the hole could be anywhere...

I did notice the air intake wasn't even attached to the front of the car at all, though that is probably a non-issue.

MK5 Golf GTi 197BHP Tornado Red