Make a donation

Author Topic: Scott's MK5 GTI  (Read 3310 times)

Offline Ramsay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 1
Scott's MK5 GTI
« on: August 24, 2013, 09:02:33 am »
So I bought the MK5 back in May and after owning a 1.4 Fiesta for a year before and having done no modding, I was almost certain that I would leave the GTI the way it was plus the GTI's are a great looking and fast car.

Then I joined this forum and I feel like i've got a hole in my pocket and my cash is dissapearing  :signLOL:

MY plans for the car were:

RNS 510
R32 style exhaust.

R32 style rear valance
Sports cat
Stage 1 remap
Stage 2 (after I was bored with the above)
Coilovers
Air intake

Anyway I thought it was about time to start a little build thread seeing as I'm probably gonna mod it a little.

Around a week after I bought the car I decided to polish and wax it (by hand) and this was the result:

To be honest I was really surprised by the results I got by Hand.

I then decided to go for an RNS510 which I installed myself, I thought it just tidied up the interior.  Was bought from a forum member.

Left the car for a month or so whilst I went on a trip to Turkey with the misses.

After I came back again i was determined not to spend anymore cash however a daily visit here means otherwise.

Again from another member, I took a trip to Kelso (Scottish Borders) and picked up this:

A BCS Powerflow catback.  I planned to fit this myself as I was told it was a straight fit however after some investigation this turned out not to be the case (I was still a little MK5 naive)  Anyways turns out the BCS dont supply the Power valve system on catback due to the standard cat being too restrictive (this means i will eventually have to sports cat or decat lol), It also required a step down pipe from 3" to oem which BCS happily provided.

I also bought this:

I bought this from PPCGB.co.uk as I had heard so raving reviews on how good a fit it was.  Well how wrong I was, and this is only my opinion, not that of MK5golfgti.co.uk.  The fitting was S**t and thats putting it politely.

I took it to a body-shop and after an hour the guy basically said he didn't want to put his name to having fitted this valance. However after fiddling for around 4 hours, drilling holes here and there and bending brackets which probably shouldn't be bent i got it fitted.  

To do so ment removing the full bumper and placing screws in the valance once fitted to the bumper to stop it coming back off.  there were two brackets underneath the car which required to be bent so i could bolt the valance on.  Behind the wheel arches, the two plastic pieces that were meant to bolt on were too short and therefore I had to drill my own separate holes to hold it on.  After a while, I think to be fair I got it fitting quite nicely but to add insult to injury the left hand reflector would not clip in due to the slot for it being a couple of mm out of shape.

I have emailed and called PPCGB however have had no return call or email, again this is only my view but I would never use them again for anything.

Anyway heres a couple of pics fitted:

I thought this was great, exactly the look I was looking for.  Next step is to get it painted and I was thinking for the cut out section of the rear valance possibly carbon or matt black, I will photoshop something up to make my mind up and add to this as I install more parts.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:05:34 pm by Ramsay »

Offline Jonny_FRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
    • Email
Re: Scott's MK5 GTI
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 09:49:54 am »
lovely car with some cracking mods so far matey  :happy2:

This place certainly gets you spending money on mods! I'm addicted to buying things for my golf now!!
Mk5 Golf GT 170 - Stage 2 (now sold)

Mk6 Golf GTi next on the list!

Offline chrisr763

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 10:06:17 am »
lovely car with some cracking mods so far matey  :happy2:

This place certainly gets you spending money on mods! I'm addicted to buying things for my golf now!!

It's a disease  :ashamed: We all get it when you sign up!

Not the greatest... But decided to give it a go

Offline ukshaun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
  • If in doubt.. flat out
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 10:10:05 am »
Nice touch. All you need nw is some ed30 lights to finish the rear off
My progress thread www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,66117.0.html
Mods done: revo map, new south boost gauge, rcd510 dab, gti grill, gti colour coded valance, tinted lights, leds, gti spoiler

Offline Ramsay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 12:14:46 pm »
Not the greatest... But decided to give it a go

Cheers for that :D can't wait to get it painted lol, someone suggested flocking it like the original bumper to keep it old skool but not too sure on that

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 01:54:29 pm »
For sure get it gloss black, The Photoshop looks purple now its online! lol

Offline TForrest94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 12:28:22 am »
Lovely car

Gotta say gloss black is certainly the way forward in my eyes

Tommy

Its just a way of life.

Offline Scotsmanash

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 04:36:35 pm »
Nice mods mate
See u have the modding bug  :grin:

Offline Ramsay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 02:04:31 pm »
Been ages since I've posted on here, not done much over the festive period however this arrived today :D

BCS sports cat which is getting fitted on Monday and cant wait.

Also received some rubber mats and the polo style Ariel.

Forward planning to get an air intake and then stage 1 :D

Slowly coming together

Offline SurreyED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 03:17:12 pm »
Go stage 2 mate with a TBE and intake? For the little extra cash it's well worth it to get the full potential of the TBE  :driver:

I know the feeling of spending money on my eddy mate after joining this site  :love:
Edition 30 build No:692 Revo stage 2 SOLD
Edition 30 build No:440 Stage 1 SOLD

Offline Shorty

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 03:25:23 pm »
Glad to see you got the downpipe ok dude, like said, you need an intake and a stage 2 now for powers!

Enjoy mate :)
| Mk7 R |

Vehicle Diagnostics inc VCDS, Vehicle Remapping and any other diagnostics in the North West area, PM me.

Offline OLLIE_JETTA_MK5

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 03:31:32 pm »
Looking good mate ! glad i read your review on them bumpers ! what a ball ache lol

Golf mk5 1.4 Fsi , Bettle 2.0 8v , Audi a3 2.0tdi , Lupo Gti , Jetta mk5 2.0 tdi , Golf mk6 1.4tsi , Jetta mk6 2.0tdi dsg . Golf estate sport wagon and now ! and orange GTI
Dubbin it since 2006

Offline Ramsay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 03:35:14 pm »
Looking to go stage 1 to start with so i can see the benefits from stage 2, been told its only £50 to upgrade from 1 - 2.

Yeh bumper was a nightmare although its now fitted and not budged but wished id went for an R32 original much easier i think.  Still to get the bumper painted but that will come :D