Make a donation

Author Topic: Bmw m5 f10  (Read 2070 times)

Offline phil197

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Bmw m5 f10
« on: August 26, 2013, 11:37:39 am »
Guys,

Just came back from being taken out in my mates f10 m5, although quick, found it a lot of money for what it was, really enjoyed driving my gti soon after.

My question is can we be happy with ours cars or others 15k below or can you only have real fun in 60k plus motors???

Phil

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
Re: Bmw m5 f10
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 04:53:50 pm »
The amount of fun is not really dependent on how deep your pockets are . If you are rich why not spend 100k on a Porsche and if you are poor you can have loads of fun for 2k or less . I think it is relative to the owner only . We always crave the next best thing after having cars for a few months or less , if you have the money then do it , if not then don't .
Legally you can't have much fun anyway on our roads so the more you pay the more pose value there is only ,  i think  :innocent:
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Wardy91-ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 05:14:12 pm »
^^^
Totally agree. Good mate of mine has a gtr and I love it, but fun?... Not really no. There's only a few places you can really stretch it's legs and that's if the roads quiete which is unusual. He loves driving my ed30 just as much, iv offered the swap but he declined unfortunately  :grin:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 05:36:04 pm »
Caterham, Elise, Atom.... it doesn't have to have enough power to send it to the moon to be fun.
Sideways yo!

Offline phil197

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 05:43:20 pm »
I do tend to agree, wasn't sure if I was being tight not wanting a monster but going out in the m5 made me realise I'm happy with what I've got and i do look forward to driving the gti everyday.

To be content is a good feeling lol

Phil

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=bn03ktlr71lme3i30bv0pv1o3d&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 06:21:20 pm »
182 Clio Cup... what are they? 2 grand? Loads of fun

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 11:11:18 pm »
182 Clio Cup... what are they? 2 grand? Loads of fun

Agreed as I had one. Fun for some B road blasts. I really enjoy my Focus Ecoboost and at just under 200bhp it will never set lap records but is great fun to drive. Although my favourite car was my old Metro Gti, as that was a go kart on wheels and only had 130bhp after a few mods. But sounded awesome and cornered like it was on rails. I keep toying with the idea to buy one again, fit a 1.8vvc in and use it as a track toy......
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline Black9

• Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 11:20:41 pm »
The GTI is such a good all round hatch. Looks good, performs and handles well and can be taken to a track or a wedding lol

I own currently own an E39 M5 and still love driving my GTI. Almost verging on enjoying the GTI more.

My uncle owns and 991 Carrera S & E90 M3 and recently purchased an edition 30 manual and says after driving it he could never sell It......

Just shows how good a GTI is

Offline Leebo310

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 10:42:56 am »
Granted I'm only just over a month into ownership but I absolutely love our Golf and it's the first car for ages that I'm not even remotely considering changing anytime soon!
It does so many things well, yet still looks subtle and I think that's what makes it so popular. My wife can pootle around in it with our daughter and her pram in the back easily, or we can have a proper blast in it round the country lanes and it does both equally well.

The WRX I had before was probably just as practical but then people hate you driving it...   :evilgrin:

My 530i was again, even more practical but then nowhere near as engaging to drive and to be honest not as well built (plus nowhere near as fast!)

The fact that I don't want to change the car yet, or see anything for the same budget that would even come close to the amount of enjoyment and practicality is definitely a good thing! (which my wife would also agree with as is pretty sick of me changing the cars so often  :laugh:)

Saying all that though, if I did have 60k to spend on a car then I'd buy a new rs4 and keep the Golf for the wife  :happy2:
55 plate GTI DSG / Revo remap / Miltek cat back exhaust / Evolution Motorsport Induction Kit / Sony XAV 62-BT head unit/ LED Rear numberplate lights

Offline phil197

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 07:25:27 pm »
Black9 whats the e39 m5 like to drive, love um but the horror story running costs have always put me off, are they reliable bits of kit?

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 09:17:27 pm »
I'd like one of the first E28 M5's from 1986 ish
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 04:29:50 pm by garrardrj »
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 09:26:09 pm »
I thought the E60 was the problem child, the gearbox pretty much writing the car off in terms of cost of replacement v value. All have sh*t brakes.

I'd have one of each, think the E34 is my favourite though.
Sideways yo!

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 09:56:24 pm »
Guys,

Just came back from being taken out in my mates f10 m5, although quick, found it a lot of money for what it was, really enjoyed driving my gti soon after.

My question is can we be happy with ours cars or others 15k below or can you only have real fun in 60k plus motors???

Phil

like James May said, you have the most fun in cars when they are at the limits of their grip and performance. it would be totally dangerous to exploit the limits of a car like the M5 on the road. (even the autobahn would only allow you to push its straight line speed, and not other elements of its ability.)

on that basis, a cheaper car would be more fun more of the time. things like fat tyres needed to tame big horsepower numbers means you lose steering feel, so a lower powered car with skinnier tyres may be more fun than a very powerful car.

a case in point is the new Toyobaru BR-86. tbh in this country i can't see it flying off the forecourts so i don't think residuals are going to be great. certainly after 3 years i reckon they'll be worth less than £15k and i'd imagine that you would have more fun in that more of the time than an M5.

similarly, a few years ago CAR magazine did a sort of "performance car comparison test" and took along things like the B7 RS4, the then new R8, the 997.1 GT3 and some others that i don't remember. They took along a Mk5 GTI as well as an "everyman" benchmark, and they said that the GT3 was struggling to lose the GTI on twisty B roads and the like. It was only on long straights the GT3 was able to pull out a lead. So a performance purpose built track car with over twice the power and that costs 4x as much was struggling to lose what was a £20k hatchback. defo don't think you need to spend big to have fun.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:57:59 pm by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+