Make a donation

Author Topic: Part number and advice needed... Wheels doing my head in!! *Update*  (Read 4218 times)

Offline ConeKiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 5
Bit of help needed please guys! Here's the story...

I have the 18'' monza's on my GTI. For about 2 months the NSF tyre has been deflating, each time the car flashes up tyre low its on 15ish PSI.

Changed the front tyres as they needed doing anyway, problem hasn't gone away.
Got the garage to check the wheel, its straight with no buckles or dents but they said they can't change the valve as its a metal VW part only. This is the part that seems to be leaking as small bubbles were appearing when under water.

Had the valve changed by VW, its now leaking air at a rate of full to flat tyre in 48 hours! The valve is silver but the rest are black.

Has anyone else had this problem? And does anyone know the part number for the valve so I can check its the right one!

Thanks in advance!!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:27:45 pm by ConeKiller »

Offline Tortaruga

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
Re: Part number and advice needed... Wheels doing my head in!!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 07:34:42 pm »
The new valve you've got is a metal one. There are 2 different types for the Monzas. I don't know the reason why, but you could ask your dealer if they stock the alternate part and try that.
'07 Red manual

Offline Aas

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 12:12:18 am »
Ours leaked to, we had all ours changed for normal rubber ones and have been fine since

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 08:16:23 am »
Hi there,

As said above there are two different types of metal valve fitted to Monza II wheels dependent upon whether they are the 'hollow-tech' BBS version or not (denoted by an AH suffix at the end of the wheel part number).  I have AH BBS Monza's on my GTI and the part number for the valve is 1K0 601 361 - the matching metal valve cap is 1K0 907 299.  The valves are quite expensive from the dealers - I ended up getting mine direct from Germany for a lot less than I could buy them over the counter here!

If you don't have the 'hollow-tech' BBS versions then the only other metal valve part number is 1K0 601 361 B which will not fit the AH Monza wheels as the body is too short.  The Ronal versions of the Monza take normal rubber valves.

Hope this helps
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline ConeKiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 03:42:24 pm »
Thanks for the help guys.

Going to take the wheel off tonight and take a look, make sure it is the valve (it is, but im doubting myself now!) then go back on saturday and get them to sort it out properly!

Really frustrating as I joked with the guy doing it that I hope its the right one!  :scared:

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 09:26:20 pm »
No problem and I hope you get it sorted soon.

Thanks for the 'thank you' too! :happy2:
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline ConeKiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Part number and advice needed... Wheels doing my head in!! *Update*
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 10:29:46 pm »
Little update

Saturday I was back at VW to have the valve replaced, was told it was correct but it is different!

Today... Its flat again!!

VW are getting a call tomorrow and I feel sorry for who answers! Was there for 2 hours on Saturday for it to be flat within 48 hours!

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 11:01:06 pm »
I wonder if the included valve sealing ring (labelled 5) has been incorrectly placed!

The pic above seems to show Seal 5 going between Part 6 and the rim when in fact it goes between part 4 and the rim as there is already a seal fitted to part six.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:19:18 pm by bacillus »
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 08:27:18 am »
Fully agree with Bacillus - if they are using the correct valve, and assuming the leak is coming from there, then it is highly likely that it has been fitted incorrectly or over-torqued.

Offline ConeKiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 08:45:22 am »
Thanks for the help guys! From PM's with OEM+ DUB the part number I need is 1K0601361B

I am going to call them in a minute and complain/confirm they used this part then see what they will do!

Will take that photo in as well and tell them what needs to be done!

So frustrating!

Offline ConeKiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 09:38:26 am »
Have just spoken to the dealer! They refuse to look in to it further and blame the wheel itself. They have recommended a complete wheel refurb for £156!

Don't know where to go from here tbh! Don't want to go back there as they said it was completely fixed twice before!

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 10:09:59 am »
Can you take it to a tyre fitter and get the tyre off? Then you could have a look at it yourself and make sure the valve is correctly fitted.
'07 Red manual

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 11:02:15 am »
So glad this has been posted, as i have just got a set to run as winters and would have never known about this, sure mine have AH after model number.   :happy2:
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 05:59:00 pm »
Hi there,

As said above there are two different types of metal valve fitted to Monza II wheels dependent upon whether they are the 'hollow-tech' BBS version or not (denoted by an AH suffix at the end of the wheel part number).  I have AH BBS Monza's on my GTI and the part number for the valve is 1K0 601 361 - the matching metal valve cap is 1K0 907 299.  The valves are quite expensive from the dealers - I ended up getting mine direct from Germany for a lot less than I could buy them over the counter here!

If you don't have the 'hollow-tech' BBS versions then the only other metal valve part number is 1K0 601 361 B which will not fit the AH Monza wheels as the body is too short.  The Ronal versions of the Monza take normal rubber valves.

Hope this helps

So if i read this corrcetly if you have the 18" BBS 'hollow tech' version of the monza then they can only be fitted with the metal valve type, (which cost more money) and the standard black rubber values fitted by most tyre fitters will not work?

Conekiller - sorry for jumping into your thread, but im so glad you have posted this.  :happy2:
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline ConeKiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 07:57:25 pm »
Hi there,

Hope this helps

Conekiller - sorry for jumping into your thread, but im so glad you have posted this.  :happy2:

No worries mate no doubt other people will have these issues!

My car just went in to VGS as they think the problem is the electric box i side the wheel, apparently 05-56ish 18'' monza's had a unit inside them if the car monitors the PSI like mine.

Going to replace all the valves with rubber ones if possible! The feature isnt worth the agro at the moment!