Make a donation

Author Topic: Air Conditioning problem :-(  (Read 4348 times)

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
Air Conditioning problem :-(
« on: August 29, 2013, 11:03:35 am »
Went in for an air con service/re-gas this morning, as it wasn't blowing cold air.

Bad news! There was still 75% gas left and no leaks. So I'm dreading the compressor pump has gone :sad1:

Is there anything I can check like fuses or something before taking it to be looked over?

What sort of costs would I be looking at if its the compressor?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:37:21 am by Kalpsn2000 »
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline flyboy1976

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 15
Re: Air Conditioning problem :-(
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 11:21:34 am »
Some good ones on eBay that are new or refurb @ £270...fitting isn't too bad and then anything from £29 to £50 for a re-gas. If you know how to turn your climate display into diagnostic mode you can monitor the temps of the vents and you should  be seeing between 4 degrees and 7 degrees with a/c and recirc on and blowers at full speed. Make sure the ECON light is NOT illuminated as that kicks the pump into action, however if you have the later type climatronic controls that say ''A/C'' then it has to be illuminated to engage the pump!
If you need to know the settings of which parameters to set on the climatronic controls they are as follows:  passenger vent is 6-2  and 8-2 for drivers iirc.

If you don't know how to put your climatronic into diagnostic mode then let me know and I will explain or visit www.my-gti.com and look under air conditioning in the left pane window of the main screen.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 01:18:37 pm by flyboy1976 »

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 11:49:38 am »
Thanks for that. Mine has the ECON button, which I turn off for A/C. Will check later but I'm 99% sure my temps will not be between 4-7.

Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline flyboy1976

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 15

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 07:47:22 pm »
This was posted recently and the prices seem fair

http://www.autoairconparts.co.uk/Volkswagen-GOLF-MK5-2.0-FSi-Petrol-Man/Auto-Oct-03-to-Oct-08-Car-air-conditioning-compressors-pumps-aircon-radiators-and-more/

The switch is a very common fault but a full test with VCDS is the way forward!

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 10:59:01 pm »
I did a VCDS scan last week but didn't show any air con faults. Is there a specific test?

Offline Spadds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 10:37:45 pm »
Hi all

My a/c had given up the ghost. I suspected ( or prepared myself for) a failed compressor. Took it to local garage.

I had a gas removal, vacuum leak test, Regas with dye and diagnostics to find faulty compressor. Fit and supply new compressor and regas and return 2 weeks later for quick once over : £527. All working and cool now!  :happy2:

I didn't have time or ability to DIY and I wanted the a/c working so I had paid the cash. Happy with outcome as I have super cool air as we head into the winter time....  :jumpmove:

Offline dokez

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 07:16:45 am »
You can go into measuring blocks and check if the compressor is running. Block 101 and 102. Shut off code should be 0 when running.

People get mixed up with ECON button. Econ is economy and not AIRCON. Having ECON button it turns the AC compressor off.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 12:08:33 pm »
Hi all

My a/c had given up the ghost. I suspected ( or prepared myself for) a failed compressor. Took it to local garage.

I had a gas removal, vacuum leak test, Regas with dye and diagnostics to find faulty compressor. Fit and supply new compressor and regas and return 2 weeks later for quick once over : £527. All working and cool now!  :happy2:

I didn't have time or ability to DIY and I wanted the a/c working so I had paid the cash. Happy with outcome as I have super cool air as we head into the winter time....  :jumpmove:

Remember A/C isnt just for cooling the air, it also removes moisure which will de-mist your windows in winter  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr