Make a donation

Author Topic: Insurance claim/hire car  (Read 13639 times)

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
Re: Insurance claim/hire car
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 12:20:44 pm »
I had something like this happen to me a few years ago with my scooby,guy drove in to the back of me at traffic lights but was only minor damage but I rang his insurance company who said yep he is insured and rang mine and both said yep he is covered for me then to ring them the day the car was going into bodyshop to check insurance on guy and all was good, I then went to collect car a few days later to find out he was not insured its just the Mid database was not accurate to that day so guess what I had to pay my excess  :fighting: :fighting:. I went down every step to try get my money back but that was not happening as both me and my insurance company was out of pocket and as the car owner was no longer in ownership of the car and could not be located I got facked for it as I did not involve the police for something so minor as a cracked bumper and a damaged exhaust.  You can't trust anyone  :fighting:

Your Insurance company should have persued your losses throught the Motor Insurers Bureau , they all pay into it to cover uninsured drivers and their customers ......Seen this was covered already ! I'll get my coat ! :innocent:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:22:41 pm by garrardrj »
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 12:27:46 pm »
The damage is only to front wing and bumper. Imagine wing needs replacing. Need to ensure they blend it but otherwise would be happy with that. Alloy may need refurb/replacing too.

Going to Enterprise first to pick up hire car.
Repair company coming to pick up car on friday.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 12:39:07 pm »
i thought black didn't really need blending?
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2013, 03:17:48 pm »
It's diamond pearlescent black so need to make sure pearl is blended.

Anyway, went to Enterprise Rent-a-Car. I'm not entitled to a hire car on my own insurance but they were planning to claim it against third party. I argued that the F class car they were going to give me (something like a Vauxhall Insignia) was too large to fit in my garage so they've given me an A class car (some crappy chevrolet I think, very plasticky and very high driving position). The rate is something like £30/day which isn't too bad if I had to pay out of my own pocket. Brand new car with no marks of any kind.

Running into problems with repairer. They need to pick up car as it's not drivable (offside front wheel wobbles when driving) but couldn't do it initially until next week. now they say this week but it's a problem with taking time off work as lots of patients already booked in and can't cancel them - already had to do that for monday and this morning. Do these companies work at the weekends? Or could I insist on another company? Or is there any way I can push for the repair company to speed things up?

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2013, 10:13:35 pm »
Did you try and speak to Del Jaz?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2013, 10:29:41 pm »
The girl on the phone was new and didn't have a clue. :sad1:

Was planning to speak to Del about the paintwork once the car was in but do you think it's worth chatting to him before the car's picked up?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 10:31:31 pm by stealthwolf »

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2013, 10:38:08 pm »
The girl on the phone was new and didn't have a clue. :sad1:

Was planning to speak to Del about the paintwork once the car was in but do you think it's worth chatting to him before the car's picked up?

I doubt he'd be pleased that they can't get out quick enough to collect a car! Thats what they do to make money for christ's sake!  :rolleye:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2013, 02:42:01 pm »
Well spoke to Del. Don't think it helped much at all - because it's going through insurers, he was very strict about the way things would be done (eg I suggested if an alloy wheel repair is what delays things, then I have the pescaras to stick on so not waiting forever).

Guess I'll have to wait until Friday when they'll pick it up and we'll go from there.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2013, 02:18:21 pm »
So sitting at home waiting for the recovery vehicle. It sounds as if they only have one and I feel like I'm being prioritised last. Was assured it would arrive between 1100-1500 today (only time frame I can be home). 45 mins left. If it's a no show, can I just go back to the insurers and get another repair company involved? It's been 6 days since the accident and the car's still in my garage, undrivable.

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2013, 03:17:31 pm »
So sitting at home waiting for the recovery vehicle. It sounds as if they only have one and I feel like I'm being prioritised last. Was assured it would arrive between 1100-1500 today (only time frame I can be home). 45 mins left. If it's a no show, can I just go back to the insurers and get another repair company involved? It's been 6 days since the accident and the car's still in my garage, undrivable.

its your car so you get to choose the repairing garage not your insurer.

6 days no car = 6 days loss of use = £60-75 in your pocket to be included in your small claim against the insurer in contract
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2013, 03:21:47 pm »

its your car so you get to choose the repairing garage not your insurer.

6 days no car = 6 days loss of use = £60-75 in your pocket to be included in your small claim against the insurer in contract

scratch that, as you have your hire car now dont you? so you cant claim loss of use apart from any days when your car was off the road before the hire car was provided to you, which will be miniscule/de minimis
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline cuprajake

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,72567.0.html
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2013, 04:24:48 pm »
Looks like you've been royally screwed by both the repairers and the ins.

Third party claims should always get a hire car. The other ins pay for it. Like wise no excess should be paid but that will depend on if you've felt with an accident manager firm or your own ins.

Once the garage receive the work order they should inspect the vehicle the very next day, non drivers should be placed in a courtesy car immediately.

Authorisation for repairs usually takes a few days and the repair should be complete and returned to you within a week no hassle.

It should be a new wheel as it's diamond cut. Hopefully your repairng garage know this or it'll just get painted silver.

Hth
Jake
Tornado red ed30 #0728

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2013, 04:35:56 pm »
I made a claim in Jan 2008 for flood damage to a car, insured at time with Highway through Brentacre.

From what i remember i, had a hire car within 48 hours, assesor did take 8 days to view the car that was sat at VW, returned repaired after 5 weeks. New engine as it went swimming  :signLOL:

Couldnt fault the service.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2013, 08:18:17 pm »
Well car was collected at 1430 in the end. I will have to pester them and the insurance co to get things fixed. Don't see why I should wait five weeks for a repair. Any way I can speed things up?

Apparently I have to pay excess to garage on collection and then insurance pays me? Am with highways through brentacre.

Offline cuprajake

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,72567.0.html
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2013, 09:12:52 pm »
Not now really as they have the car.

You can choose who repairs your car regardless.

You will now have to claim your excess back

Should this ever happen again. Don't inform you ins and speak to a company like Collison solutions. A family run firm like ours who will deal with the claim. They make money from the car hire. Not personal injury.

Your car should of been fixed 4 weeks ago.

All you can do is write a letter of complaint. Unless Brent care know put issues they can't resolve them.
Tornado red ed30 #0728