Make a donation

Author Topic: Things to look out for when buy a mk5 gti  (Read 1285 times)

Offline jakex181

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
Things to look out for when buy a mk5 gti
« on: September 03, 2013, 11:10:16 am »
I am looking to purchase a mk5 golf gti, i was just looking for some help on the types of questions i should be asking and what to look out for. For example i have heard about problems with the high pressure fuel pump cam lobe, should this of been replaced after a certain mileage or checked? should i check it once ive bought a car?

Thanks

Jake

Offline Tortaruga

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
Re: Things to look out for when buy a mk5 gti
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 11:49:39 am »
Yes you should change the cam follower.

Just do a search for 'common problems' and you'll find the information you're looking for. Most items are simple fixes. What you should 'look out for' when buying is a good service history.
'07 Red manual

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: Things to look out for when buy a mk5 gti
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 12:36:53 pm »
here's a list i compiled on Ed38 a while ago. it'll give you some basics on the mechanicals, but as i drive an 8P i won't be able to tell you about specific problems with the Mk5:

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=465416&hl=%2Bpcv#entry4726811
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+