Make a donation

Author Topic: Wheel repairs (cracked wheel)  (Read 1105 times)

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Wheel repairs (cracked wheel)
« on: September 05, 2013, 04:41:12 pm »
Hello guys - my parents were driving on the M1 and had a blow out. the tyre was taken off revealing a 1inch or so hairline crack on the wheel. i've not seen it personally, but i was wondering if this is the sort of thing that can be repaired safely? i know that's a difficult thing to assess without photos or anything.

if it can, does anyone know any decent wheel refurbishers or engineering companies in Yorkshire that they can recommend? the wheel is a 20" AMG wheel which retails at £700 so if it can be repaired (safely) then we'd rather do that than buy a new wheel.

thanks in advance
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: Wheel repairs (cracked wheel)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 05:06:07 pm »
I had a crack on one of my Aero 2 barrels.

My mate (Jamie @ Moores Motors) took £10 from me and a couple of days later and I have a very tidy looking repair. In theory the repair if properly carried out is stronger than the original metal.

Some people will say no to welding wheels but in my opinion it's fine. Mine balances up perfectly!

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 07:39:36 pm »
thanks for your input - i have read elsewhere that the weld may be stronger, but the problem is that i imagine this is based on who actually does it. obviously with such an important thing and with it being my parents' car i want what's best.

are moore motors in the north? i could only find companies in the south with that name
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler

Offline n13cah

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 07:57:01 pm »
Check that they know what they are doing.
A hole need to be drilled at the end of the crack to stop it going any further before the weld is done.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 08:27:37 pm »
These guys will be able to help but they aren't local to Yorkshire.

http://www.myalloys.co.uk/

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 10:58:05 pm »
thanks for your input - i have read elsewhere that the weld may be stronger, but the problem is that i imagine this is based on who actually does it. obviously with such an important thing and with it being my parents' car i want what's best.

are moore motors in the north? i could only find companies in the south with that name

No, Moores Motors is in the south. As that's where I live. Jamie whos company it is, is a good friend of mine.

My Alloys are also fairly local to me, they also have an outlet in Bristol.
They do some very good quality of work as well.

You can send wheels you know, if you can't find a suitable place up North..

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 11:01:10 pm »
thanks peeps. if it were my wheels i would defo rather have them sent to someone with a good reputation but knowing my parents they'd rather not have the hassle and just get it done somewhere locally.

i've seen good reviews on refurbs from Metal Magic in Barnsley, but no idea about welding work

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 10:09:32 am »
WRC preston
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391