Make a donation

Author Topic: Tyre issue.... anyone known this problem before  (Read 6515 times)

Phil Mcavity

Tyre issue.... anyone known this problem before
« on: August 29, 2009, 07:10:40 pm »
As you know,ive always run Dunlops on this Edition 30 since ive had it, its always been a tad noisey with tyre roar on the road, but when the alloys were resprayed the tyres have got even more noisey due to i think them putting the tyres back on the rims the wrong way round, (Rotational being correct) which have made them even more irritatingly load.
Apon closer inspection, not sure if this is a common problem with Dunlops, but the tread looks like its deforming!!, have a look at these pics to see what you think, but i can see why my car sounds like its running on gravel 24/7!! even on a smooth road, you can hear these!

Anyone else had this or known these deform or appear to have??

I know Dunlops arent the best , but i am astonished these are like this :mad:

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: Tyre issue.... anyone known this problem before
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 07:14:21 pm »
this happens to our works volvo and i could be wrong but it may be an alignment issue, i suppose it would be best to get it checked to see if its that or not.  im sure someone on here will know better.
Still Here!

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 07:17:58 pm »
You run the palm of your hand over the tread, and its so uneven its untrue, down the middle especially, like i have 7mm down the middle , but in places ,edges mainly, its wearing more excessively.

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 07:22:18 pm »
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7136.0

Thats my post from about 2 days ago, exactly the same question/issue as you... not good  :sick:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 07:23:16 pm »
Lots of people (me included) have had issues with the Dunlops where there is loads of health tread left in the middle but the edges, particularly the inside edge, is worn to nothing.  I had my allignment checked after binning them with 4mm in the middle but nothing on the edges and it was spot on.  

I remember reading a post by TT (I think!) who said it was something to do with a weaker sidewall than most tyres.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 07:24:44 pm »
yeah sounds the same all the individual blocks of tread have worn at an angle on the volvo and ill check whether there dunlops on tues,  i think your best bet is to get the suspension geometry checked just to be sure and at a good place who know what there doing
Still Here!

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 07:34:16 pm »
Thankyou for you advise, almost feels like the centre of the tyre is "dented" as per a couple of the photo's, the running surface is far from even and as has been said, the sides especially in the inner edge seems to be worn alot more.

Offline Cochese

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 07:36:38 pm »
 My golf came with Dunlops and after a few thousand miles I had to replace them all as the tyres were starting to split. I heard at the time that this is quite a common problem with Dunlops, although to be fair to them they gave me a refund based on the amount of tread left. Still wouldn't buy them again though.
Pieces of eight!

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 07:52:53 pm »
No other way to describe it Steve, they are sh1te.  I had two front wheel bearings changed under warranty on one of my Octy's before we realised it was the tyres.  They seem to 'feather' which makes the noise worse.

SWMBO had 3 tyres changed on her Co. Car by quick sh1t and they put three of the bl00dy things on, it sounds awful now.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 08:09:06 pm »
I did get these set from Kwik fit aswell.  :mad:

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 08:16:05 pm »
Out of interest what pressure(s) have you been using?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Cooper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 09:25:14 pm »
I had the same thing as VRStu, had a wheel bearing replaced which made the noise better but then they realised the Dunlops were wearing unevenly and causing the droning noise. All was cured by fitting a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's  :happy2:
C63
SQ5

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 09:26:26 pm »
dude this simply sounds like a case of bedded in tyres placed onto the opposite rims, ie the right rear is now on the left rear and the front right is now on the front left, so the bedded shape is now the exact opposite of the norm

the fix is to either swap the tyres back round onto the correct rims, wait for the shape to bed back in in the current configuration or buy new tyres and start fresh

option 1  :smiley:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 09:55:37 pm »
dude this simply sounds like a case of bedded in tyres placed onto the opposite rims

How would that explain the horrendous noise on my new car (we were in Germany fully expecting a wheel bearing to fail and have to be recovered back).

SWMBO's car being ok then having three fitted which have not been moved since fitting.

It's the tyres - loads of people all over the VAG forums have issue with them.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 10:07:08 pm »
Out of interest what pressure(s) have you been using?
35 Psi front and back