Make a donation

Author Topic: Intake cleaned the RON ECHT method  (Read 12806 times)

Offline JackG

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
Re: Intake cleaned the RON ECHT method
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 10:24:45 pm »
if it feels no different then maybe theres no benefit? 

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 08:47:54 am »
As far as it feeling different...I too only notice a slight difference because I do this every 10k miles. The difference I do notice is that it is so smooth when you play the throttle at lower rpm's around the slightly open throttle positions. Another difference is there are never any misfires...I also run 12oz through the tank every 5k miles for the injectors and hopefully the exhaust valves....maybe.

One thing I may not have made clear in my sprayer mod vid
is the spray pattern you get from the tube you use. I tested my pattern after completing my little pressure sprayer mod...What I did is...I melted the end of the tube, to be used as the spraying end, shut with a cig lighter. I think that I may have even pinched it while still molten so it would be a bit on the flat side when cooled. Then I took a razor blade and cut off just a tiny bit...then I tested the spray pattern looking for a fine mist. I might have cut just a tiny bit two or three times before I got a nice mist pattern to spray under pressure. The reason I did this is that using just a tube, at least from the pressure sprayer and tube I modded to use, only gave a stream pattern when sprayed. Simply thinking about that made me assume that the fluid may not reach all of the intake ports evenly with equal amounts for each cycle of each cylinder. It made sense that lightening, or rather misting, the fluid pattern that more evenly distributed application would be the result. I can make a quick vid to add to my sprayer mod vid if anyone would like me to ;p
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 08:51:47 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 09:18:33 am »
As far as it feeling different...I too only notice a slight difference because I do this every 10k miles. The difference I do notice is that it is so smooth when you play the throttle at lower rpm's around the slightly open throttle positions. Another difference is there are never any misfires...I also run 12oz through the tank every 5k miles for the injectors and hopefully the exhaust valves....maybe.

is the spray pattern you get from the tube you use. I tested my pattern after completing my little pressure sprayer mod...What I did is...I melted the end of the tube, to be used as the spraying end, shut with a cig lighter. I think that I may have even pinched it while still molten so it would be a bit on the flat side when cooled. Then I took a razor blade and cut off just a tiny bit...then I tested the spray pattern looking for a fine mist. I might have cut just a tiny bit two or three times before I got a nice mist pattern to spray under pressure. The reason I did this is that using just a tube, at least from the pressure sprayer and tube I modded to use, only gave a stream pattern when sprayed. Simply thinking about that made me assume that the fluid may not reach all of the intake ports evenly with equal amounts for each cycle of each cylinder. It made sense that lightening, or rather misting, the fluid pattern that more evenly distributed application would be the result. I can make a quick vid to add to my sprayer mod vid if anyone would like me to ;p
if you could get a bit more info on the sprayer that would be great. im certainly going too try this.
what fluid is it if you dont mind me asking? 
could you use a aerosol powered carb cleaner?  maybe more powerful too jet clean?

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 08:04:52 pm »
I used this garden sprayer
http://www.wilko.com/pressure-washers+pumps/wilko-get-watering-pump-sprayer-2l/invt/0123775?VBMST=Garden%20sprayer
And a piece if black rubber tube I found from an old part. I'm going to try to make a nice spray pattern the next time I do this.
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 10:21:19 am »

if you could get a bit more info on the sprayer that would be great. im certainly going too try this.
could you use a aerosol powered carb cleaner?  maybe more powerful too jet clean?
Carb cleaner would evap too quickly as it is designed to do so...I used mineral spirits or rather white spirits in the UK. I will redo my vid and show more detail of the mod itself. I just sort of winged it...like I usually do when playing around with creating things, but I can easily do another improved version, OK?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 03:15:09 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 12:52:08 pm »

could you use a aerosol powered carb cleaner?  maybe more powerful too jet clean?
Carb cleaner would evap too quickly as it is designed to do so...I used miner spirits or rather white spirits in the UK. I will redo my vid and show more detail in the mod itself. I just sort of winged it...like I usually do when playing around with creating things, bit I can easily do another improved version, OK?

thank you sir  :notworthy:
I did wonder what miner spirits was  :signLOL:
does the spray spread wheb it enters the inlet?
how does the system reach the other valves and bits and bobs at the ends of the inlet manifold?
im not very techy...I know valves are not in the inlet manifold but just wondered weather it would be a benefit if it could spread more?

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 03:13:17 pm »
I used this garden sprayer
http://www.wilko.com/pressure-washers+pumps/wilko-get-watering-pump-sprayer-2l/invt/0123775?VBMST=Garden%20sprayer
And a piece if black rubber tube I found from an old part. I'm going to try to make a nice spray pattern the next time I do this.
That's perfect for this. I wish I knew more of the products available there that you could nab a useful tube from. Here, there is a nice tube included in either the 3M fuel system tune up kit(my choice) or the SeaFoam Intake System Spray.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 03:22:37 pm »

how does the system reach the other valves and bits and bobs at the ends of the inlet manifold?
im not very techy...I know valves are not in the inlet manifold but just wondered weather it would be a benefit if it could spread more?
[/quote]You are welcome. Yes, the spray comes out in a mist pattern if done correctly. I will redo the sprayer mod diy vid to help do this right and I will then add the spirits and show the way I fixed the end of the tubing to get it to mist and also, to show it misting in the vid. This is done so, on the intake strokes, the spirits will pass evenly through each the intake ports.

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 06:02:44 pm »

You are welcome. Yes, the spray comes out in a mist pattern if done correctly. I will redo the sprayer mod diy vid to help do this right and I will then add the spirits and show the way I fixed the end of the tubing to get it to mist and also, to show it misting in the vid. This is done so, on the intake strokes, the spirits will pass evenly through each the intake ports.
[/quote]

excited now  :driver: thanks for your advice I will keep an eye for your new video.
is there anything I should be aware of when doing this?

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 08:16:30 am »
So I got to it yesterday...you know, making a more thorough diy sprayer mod vid...I had all the necessary tools at hand...camera on the pod "aimed" at the work space... :innocent: and every bit of footage turned out to be just out of view when I first looked at the footage later that evening  :evilgrin:
So...Yes, I have to get back out and do it all over again tomorrow  :innocent:  My sincerest apologies guys...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:19:13 am by ROH ECHT »

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 10:52:38 am »
So I got to it yesterday...you know, making a more thorough diy sprayer mod vid...I had all the necessary tools at hand...camera on the pod "aimed" at the work space... :innocent: and every bit of footage turned out to be just out of view when I first looked at the footage later that evening  :evilgrin:
So...Yes, I have to get back out and do it all over again tomorrow  :innocent:  My sincerest apologies guys...
:congrats: :signLOL:

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2013, 11:51:58 am »
Please Read Today ;p

Hey ya'll. I went out today to redo the vid. And of course Failed to capture the footage through the lens...yes, again. Not all of it, but some of the important footage. So Tonight, I was browsing around the ol' web. And I realized that I originally began designing this sprayer mod to spray into the throttle body until I had the realization that the throttle body access is a huge pain. I then decided to go through the IAT sensor port and needed to add some sort of plug to the end of the small tube. There was also the task of developing the misting pattern to the end of the tube. With the task of having to modify and equip a smaller handheld unit and tube to deliver a fine misting pattern...I finally had a wonderful epiphany while browsing today..."Why not just use a one gallon tank sprayer?" They all have an adjustable spray nozzle, right? And, some even come with optional pattern nozzles such as fixed fan, fixed cone, and adjustable and are mostly chemical resistant. Another bonus is that the nozzles seem to be nearly the exact diameter to insert into the IAT port. So, even though I do have a 1 gallon sprayer, I am going out to obtain a new one today and will try it out as soon as I can. I will redo my valve cleaning diy vid afterward and the results should outshine those of the modified sprayer and tube I originally did.

Of course, you should select whichever one suits you best, has the desired spray nozzle you wish to use, and is also chemical resistant. We may need to pour in a bit of extra liquid (your choice of slow drying thinner such as white spirits, NAPHTHA, or xylene/xylol), then apply 12 or so ounces for cleaning the valves, and return the extra back into its original container and clean up your sprayer. NAPHTHA is a bit quicker drying but will do.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 12:16:05 pm by ROH ECHT »

Offline OSB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 05:49:31 pm »
 :congrats:
Excellent idea! Let us know the results.
I have one in the garage, with the various nozzles. As soon as I get a free hour I'll try it.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 07:58:01 am »
Yeah...I will do the new intake valve cleaning diy vid tomorrow and I won't zoom in as close as I did those two other fail attempts ;p
I just went off in the wrong direction before, as I said above, but all is back on track again. I found a sprayer at H-depot in the paint dept for solvents under $12usd with 3 nozzles included.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 02:11:26 am »
Finally...I began with over 15 minutes of footage and trimmed it down to 6 minutes...so it is a bit choppy ;p
Much simpler to do as there are no mod's necessary for the sprayer other than trimming down the ribs that were on the new nozzle so it would fit inside the IAT port ;p
Please enjoy and do often(every 10k miles or so):

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 02:26:51 am by ROH ECHT »