Make a donation

Author Topic: Suspension headaches  (Read 1031 times)

Offline GS WAX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
Suspension headaches
« on: September 08, 2013, 04:48:29 pm »
Wondering if any members can help ,spending £££s and loosing the will keep trying diff options,  here is my dilemma,

My Edition 30 Had std suspension,i wanted to try and remove the low speed jiggles(the sub 30mph rock n roll) while keeping it pretty much stock look and ride and at the same time giving it a little refresh to make it tight and new feeling again,so after contacting and consulting with the main man on here i went for the confirmed correct biltsein B4 dampers with the factory springs, all was good ,apart from a few other non suspension related issues(which nearly resulted in me selling the car for a mk6),however the car was raised 10mm over what it was before,and didn't drive any better or worse,so not a lot changed really.
 So after a lot of research on here and various other forums and phone calls to suppliers I started on the next plan of action to bring the ride height back to atleast factory or just a tad(10-15mm lower), I settled on the  GTI 5/6 VWR springs with the reasoning that they quote a drop of 20-25mm front and 20mm rear,so should in theory bring the car down to just about 10-15mm below the std ride height taking into account my 10mm increase due to the Bilstein dampers.

Wrong..... :evilgrin:

The VWR Springs have dropped it 10mm front  from my original measurements that were taken before any work began and 30mm rear from my second set of measurements after B4's were fitted,and all this is before it even selltles.

For reference my arch to ground measurements all in the same position in my workshop (give or take 2-3 mm)

Factory with 40k miles  Front  660mm  rear 670mm

With Bilstein B4 and factory springs  Front 670  Rear 680mm

VWR springs and B4 Dampers  Front 650  Rear 650

WTF is going on here, (car sits like it has 3 passengers in the boot now),where would the problem be,either the front dampers have raised the car and the rear dampers havnt or the vwr rear springs have dropped the car more than quoted at the rear.

Cant seem to get my head around this.

Advice welcomed please before, A, I sell the car,B  spend more £££ on untried  shocks and springs or C just put the old gear back on and call it a day :happy2:

Hope this is not to ball acheing :smiley:

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
Re: Suspension headaches
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 05:00:10 pm »
Does it drive better now? If it does, why are you worrying?!

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 06:55:17 pm »
Most people would be pleased it was lower  :grin:

Lower = better looks (no silly arch gap), lower centre of gravity for better handling. WIN WIN  :happy2:

It won't scrape on anything only being a bit lower. As the chap above asked, why are you concerned?

The VW "scene" look is LOW.

As long as it sits level then just enjoy it as it is, don't waste money on other options over a few mm here & there. You would regret selling it I think  :sad1:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 06:58:04 pm by GrayMK5GTI »
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline kahunajb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 07:09:21 pm »
Pics might help as from your measurements it sounds level. I've got AP 20mm springs on mine and I'm not 100% happy with the height as I think the rear looks slightly lower, I'm talking mm not cm. To be honest the only way you are going to get it mm perfect is with coilovers.
05 Laser Blue Mk5 GTI - Revo Stage 1

Offline GS WAX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 08:28:59 am »
Cheers for the input,

I have the Audi thicker spring pads,going to try that first,although they will only give me a 5mm lift,

a couple of questions ,I was wondering if its possible to obtain coilover rear adj spring platforms for std rear spring shape ?

anyone know the spring rate of the factory springs?

cheers.

btw I worry because I want my car how I want it ,VW gave us near perfect for every situation  daily use,i was trying to make perfect.