Make a donation

Author Topic: R32 / GTI orrrrr..???  (Read 756 times)

Offline CarlW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92229.msg927100.html#msg927100
R32 / GTI orrrrr..???
« on: September 09, 2013, 11:40:36 pm »
Fan of both the r32 and the gti's but if you we're looking for the best of both worlds.. Giving you had the choice would people  go for the Audi a3 2L Quattro which is basically the same as the GTI but with the Haldex 4wd system? Then you have both advantages of both cars as a lot of people go for the GTi for the tuning aspects from what I can make out and other people go for the r32 for the 4wd and the v6 rasp..

It seems to come up a fair bit and I personally am interested in people's thoughts on this R32 vs GTi..

So basically.. R32 vs GTI orrrr possibly the best of both.. The Audi A3 Quattro 2L TFSI?..

You tell me.. You decide.. Haha  :smiley:

Offline Tim144

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Re: R32 / GTI orrrrr..???
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 11:46:55 pm »
Test drive them all.. And decide which one is best/ live with everyday all very good cars!

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 11:50:42 pm »
as an 8P owner i'm not sure i'd recommend the A3 over an equivalent Mk5 tbh. i think the interior is a bit better built and generally a nicer place to be (tho this is subjective) but the A3 is not as nice to drive, and earlier ones have smaller rear brakes than the GTI. also me personally i don't really think that quattro is particularly needed, but if you must have it in your life spend a bit more and get an S3.

specifically in regards to the GTI/R32 - as above they are different cars with different plus and minus points. only you will know which one suits you better so test drive them both and make a decision.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline CarlW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92229.msg927100.html#msg927100
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 12:06:32 am »
Just a warning..

I'm not posting this to see which I should buy as I already have my heart set on what I think I would like.. As soon as I sell my car that is "fingers crossed" it happens soon  :smiley:

Just interested in what people's opinions are and what they would pick if they were buying again before falling down the slippery slope of modding

I know the perfect answer to this topic is probably the Audi S3 as its got the 4wd Haldex system and also has the 2L TFSI that a lot of people love for its tunability but that comes with the higher price tag than the other three and im guessing some people still choose the golf for the looks over the Audi's looks even though the Audi has the best of both worlds potentially?..

Offline CarlW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 12:14:52 am »
I personally am going for the GTI as its more affordable day to day than an R32 as the running costs are too much for me at this moment in time and the standard Audi A3 with or with out Quattro just isn't my cup of tea even though I'd love an S3 but its not in my price range but that doesn't matter to me cause its the GTI I wanted in the first place cause it has everything I want for the price I can afford which would make me happy to buy one

Offline itismebigd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 07:50:10 am »
if your budget can stretch too it then the awesome golf r, best off both worlds for you and highly tuneable

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 08:03:46 am »
^ Stage 1 remap on a golf R can go to and beyond 300bhp....   JOB DONE   :driver:

Offline MichaelR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
  • I love Nutella.
    • My Flickr
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 11:01:46 am »
I was recently in this predicament.

I was looking at R32's and in the end went for an ED30. Didn't test drive an R32 to be fair but the tax costs put me off.
Reflex ED30 #2082
295 bhp / 315 ft·lb