Make a donation

Author Topic: Oil Consumption GTI  (Read 17414 times)

Offline Parmo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • I'm a dirty thief
    • Email
Oil Consumption GTI
« on: September 11, 2013, 02:37:21 pm »
I'd appreciate any help and advice please I got a 08 plate GTI 10 weeks ago it had 39k miles on it part exchanged after having an issue with a ed30. Anyway this one was fully loaded and fsh.

I picked it up and the dealer has stamped it as being serviced I notice it hasn't had the dsg service so I book this in and after owning the car 7 days vw do the dsg and report back its low on engine oil nearly on min on the dipstick. I think this is odd.

I mention this to the  supplying dealer they top it up and tell me to monitor it so

In the following 10 weeks since I've discovered it's drinking oil it has no leaks and isn't showing anything wrong on vag com

I did 700 mile motorway travel not used any oil

But once I'm back town driving I'm getting 150-200 miles and checking and reading is just over min halfway

Vw have looked at the findings saying it out of tolerance and to rectify it saying a new engine.

The thing I'm worried about is getting a new engine ? Problem when I come to sell it I've only had it 10 weeks, its got warranty for 2 years

I'm guessing the previous owner had this problem that's why they got rid
Thoughts and opinions please

Offline 182tev

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Oil Consumption GTI
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 03:22:52 pm »
Did you buy the car from VW ?

Offline Jakesangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 03:23:44 pm »
Hello mate, we bought a '56 plate DSG GTi with 41,000 miles on the clock back in April and we seem to be gettng through about a litre of oil roughly every month and we probably do about 600 miles a month. Admittedly though sometimes the car does get put through its paces. I have read on the forum that these particular engines do like a bit of oil and also that once they reach 60 - 70,000 miles it doesnt tend to use so much oil !!! I dont really know how that works or if its actually true I just read it on here somewhere once I think.

Point being it might not actually have anything wrong with it so try and search the forum for further info cos im definately no expert. Hope it helps

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 03:31:42 pm »
Vw quote a quart in 600 miles as within tolerance for this engine so from your town driving you fall out of tolerance.

I take it a new engine isn't covered by the warranty? Is it a vw approved used car?

If you search the forum you will see a few threads on oil consumption...some TFSI do consume others don't.

It doesn't always mean your engine is faulty either but it is a bit annoying, I wasn't happy with a quart in 1300 miles being consumed on my previous golf.

Don't expect a dealership to be bothered, they will just say that's how it is as they have set procedures to follow.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 03:34:11 pm by GTI5 »
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline OSB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 03:42:39 pm »
Not sure from your first thread, but was the service done by VW?
If it wasn't and was done by an indy, did they use the correct oil? ie VW 504/507 spec.
If its the wrong oil that could be an answer and worth changing it ASAP.

Do you always check the oil cold ie stood for several hours, and is the car level? These can make a big difference to the readings
Sorry if that is too obvious.

Offline Parmo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • I'm a dirty thief
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 03:55:46 pm »
Thanks for the replays so far

The cars done about 2800 miles and had 4-5L oil

The service and longlife oil is correct the vehicle had an additional warranty with it and also I've mentioned the sale of goods act as well I'm covered all ends

They did at one stage tell me to check it after 600 miles and it was lost on them when I replied its either gonna be close to empty or the engine blown by then

Didn't buy through vw just a big nationwide dealership but full vw sh

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 04:56:04 pm »
New engine or give the car back to them for a refund is what I would be looking for.
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline OSB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 05:10:47 pm »
New engine or give the car back to them for a refund is what I would be looking for.

Second that! Preferably a refund and walk away. There are quite a lot of good ones to choose from.
The cars done about 2800 miles and had 4-5L oil - That is completely unacceptable!
Something is seriously wrong. And if the engine has problems, what about the rest of the car.

Really sorry you have the problem. Hope you get sorted soon mate.

Offline Llew

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 05:24:31 pm »
Refund and also return the ed30
Golf 2006 tdi 140pd, dsg paddles,blue interior led lights,r32 rear bumper, cruise control,vcds,highline , r32 mfsw steering wheel, gti front bumper,miltek decat.

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 05:46:27 pm »
Get out as quickly and smoothly as possible. Even with a new engine you'll probably find it's tainted your ownership of the car and then you'll have to explain it at re-sale time. Can't imagine an indy dealer paying full VW prices for an engine and labour, not for a moment.

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Parmo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • I'm a dirty thief
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 07:17:27 pm »
The warranty I have covers me to £10500

What would be the cost of a new engine and associated parts and labour??

What else would they replace if putting a new engine ? Belts etc ?

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 11:12:10 pm »
Christ! I thought mine was bad , Ive used about 1.8 litres of oil in a year , approx 6K miles. My last GTI didnt use a drop between services in 2 years though , like others have said , some do , some dont , but a GALLON of oil? get rid , ASAP.
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline 182tev

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 09:48:39 am »
I had a fabia Vrs for a year (not a gti but good food for thought) I bought it and on the way home the headgasket went. I had it fixed and the car was never the same after. Completely tainted my ownership.
I was scared to give it too many revs and was constantly worried it would breakdown.

Moral of the story - take the car back and find another...

Offline AndyBohen

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 07:07:14 pm »
3000 miles and 4 track sessions and my golf gti has used half a litre of oil, its on 65k now.

Id say there is a serious problem with it!
57 Tornado Red VolksWagen Golf Gti

Offline RifGTi

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 08:16:38 pm »
agree with all the others. Ive had my gti for 8500 miles and so far its used around a couple of litres i would say...maybe less IIRC.

If you want to get the refund sorted on it make sure you you do everything in writing then legally youre covered and chase it it up asap as im sure theres a time limit on when you can reject the car ( 28 days i think but do coorect me if im wrong)