Make a donation

Author Topic: Tyre Monitor - Possible Group Buy?....  (Read 9496 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Tyre Monitor - Possible Group Buy?....
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 05:20:51 pm »

thats an awful lot of money vs buying a gauge and checking it regularly.

I know they sponsor the Time Attack series and some of the racers are using it.

But for daily driving...is it really VFM?

i look at my tyres every day before i set off for work...just a quick glance for bulges and deflation.

then check the pressure every other week.

^^^^  :laugh: So speaks an accountant! :laugh: (As mutual friend Neo would say) :evilgrin:

It's going to be better VFM (who's she?) for those doing trackdays and also for the tyre temperature bonus. The benefits in actual full-on racing are obvious.

However, even on a road-only usage I'd rather know sooner than later about any drop in tyre pressure.

I don't know the truth in the rumours that the public air machines at fuel stations etc aren't very accurate but that's where I regularly check mine about every couple of weeks - Have just done so today. Like you, I always walk around my car giving it a visual check before any drive.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 05:24:00 pm »

Apparently, from 2012 all NEW VEHICLES sold in the UK will be fitted with a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System when they leave the factory.

But I wonder if they'll be any better (more accurate) than the system VW already have in our GTI's. And why wait until 2012 FFS!?

EU law, same with the DRLs.
They will be much more accurate (both in terms of response and resolution) that the passive TPMS that we have as it will be an active system using in-wheel sensors.

....This system has 'in wheel' sensors and I think is TUV approved. I already got the DRL's - Nicked 'em off a Vulcan :evilgrin:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 05:25:43 pm »
hehe well u know me RR this "crunch" has made me look at £££'s in a different way (so why did i just buy a new camera????)

i dunno...i guess it doesn't appeal to me as much as it does to you.

just checked my tyres and oil levels....

oil topped up, need 2 new tyres!

more expense! Grrrrr

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 05:40:21 pm »

hehe well u know me RR this "crunch" has made me look at £££'s in a different way (so why did i just buy a new camera????)

....Because you're hanging out with people who are a bad influence on you! (Us!)

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 06:16:52 pm »
thats an awful lot of money vs buying a gauge and checking it regularly.

I know they sponsor the Time Attack series and some of the racers are using it.

But for daily driving...is it really VFM?

i look at my tyres every day before i set off for work...just a quick glance for bulges and deflation.

then check the pressure every other week.

X2 buy a decent Px Gauge and carry out a weekly safety check on your vehicle, including tyre integrity.  I mean by that it is ok to automatically check the TP's, but what is a Tyre pressure monitor on poor  or damaged tyres?
 :confused:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 06:26:47 pm »
I am with Stoke and Chungster on this one TBH  :confused:

Also Robin I am not sure of your plans as to where this GB will be primarily hosted but if your looking to do it here please can you let me or one of the other mods know which supplier this will be done through before confirming it, thanks  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 06:32:01 pm »

buy a decent Px Gauge and carry out a weekly safety check on your vehicle, including tyre integrity.  I mean by that it is ok to automatically check the TP's, but what is a Tyre pressure monitor on poor  or damaged tyres?
 :confused:

....Agreed.

You should safety check your vehicle as best as you know how irrespective of having any Tyre Monitor gizmo's.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 06:34:45 pm by RedRobin »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 06:42:37 pm »

I am with Stoke and Chungster on this one TBH  :confused:

....Fair enough - No-one is suggesting you have to buy one.

Also Robin I am not sure of your plans as to where this GB will be primarily hosted but if your looking to do it here please can you let me or one of the other mods know which supplier this will be done through before confirming it, thanks  :happy2:

....No problem.

This thread is just to network/share the info that this product is on the market, that it may be very useful for some, and inviting an expression of interest so that a GB to everyone's advantage might subsequently be arranged.

At the stage that a) prices are known and b) who the cheapest supplier is, such information will be posted here and then a separate more formal thread can be opened in the GB area, presumably with your blessing.

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 07:29:14 pm »

^^^^  :laugh: So speaks an accountant! :laugh: (As mutual friend Neo would say) :evilgrin:

It's going to be better VFM (who's she?) for those doing trackdays and also for the tyre temperature bonus. The benefits in actual full-on racing are obvious.

However, even on a road-only usage I'd rather know sooner than later about any drop in tyre pressure.

I don't know the truth in the rumours that the public air machines at fuel stations etc aren't very accurate but that's where I regularly check mine about every couple of weeks - Have just done so today. Like you, I always walk around my car giving it a visual check before any drive.

Heh, I was going to mention the accountant thing myself ;)
In all honesty though I'm leaning with Lee and I'd really recommend you not to use the machines at fuel stations - they are rarely (if ever) calibrated. Buy one of these instead:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_566753_langId_-1_categoryId_165648
Check it yourself every week.

As I say I'm curious about the technology used in this device. The biggest turn off for me is not knowing the resolution and the fact that it won't look OEM in the car (says the dude with gauges and stuff).

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 07:46:30 pm »
I like this product and Ben almost sold me one at Autosport back in January.

There was an awful lot of interest/buying of this product at Autosport by race teams and trackday fetishists alike.

The fact I can get into my car on a rainy/freezing cold morning and immediately know that the tyres are okay without turning my fingers black by unscrewing the dust covers every week is a bonus.

For trackdays it will be great to know when you can start to push the tyres a little more when they have warmed up without guessing and pushing it too far too soon.

What this little piece of kit will also do is tell you via the dispay when your tyres are ready to do too, as well as show you which one/s may have deflated.

:happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 07:57:44 pm »

Buy one of these instead:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_566753_langId_-1_categoryId_165648

....I've already got one but find it fiddly to use. In fact, I'm now thinking I might sell it.

As I say I'm curious about the technology used in this device. The biggest turn off for me is not knowing the resolution and the fact that it won't look OEM in the car (says the dude with gauges and stuff).

....I don't care two figs about whether it looks oem or not - If it displays useful info then as long as it doesn't look ridiculous then it's fine for me. Do they make them in pink?

As I posted earlier I'll try and find out the resolution but don't hold your breath!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 08:09:13 pm »

The fact I can get into my car on a rainy/freezing cold morning and immediately know that the tyres are okay without turning my fingers black by unscrewing the dust covers every week is a bonus.

For trackdays it will be great to know when you can start to push the tyres a little more when they have warmed up without guessing and pushing it too far too soon.

What this little piece of kit will also do is tell you via the dispay when your tyres are ready to do too, as well as show you which one/s may have deflated.

....I feel the same as you about it. But it's clearly not everyone's cup of tea.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 08:30:18 pm »

Buy one of these instead:

....I've already got one but find it fiddly to use. In fact, I'm now thinking I might sell it.

....I don't care two figs about whether it looks oem or not - If it displays useful info then as long as it doesn't look ridiculous then it's fine for me. Do they make them in pink?

As I posted earlier I'll try and find out the resolution but don't hold your breath!

you can mount the diplay any where ie the glove box if you don,t like it on display-if i didn't work in a garagei would of bought one,like hurdy says saves messing bout a service station and most time the gauges are not accurate

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 09:52:54 pm »

/just kidding around in all honesty, I understand the usefulness of such a device and I don't like scrabbling around in the dark trying to measure pressures.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 10:21:38 pm »

....I didn't know you were such an expert Lego builder :happy2: