Make a donation

Author Topic: RNS 510 dead HELP  (Read 1510 times)

Offline eltel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
RNS 510 dead HELP
« on: September 12, 2013, 09:16:28 pm »
Hi guys
I am in desperate need of help, so here's the story I came back from holiday to find my beloved eddy dead as a doornail so I called RAC they came and put on a new battery, great car back to normal, the next week I went to go to work and found the car dead again called the rac again he ran some checks and found that the battery was being drained by 3amps he took out fuse f19 and that stopped the drain so off I went to work, I didn't use any electric's on my way to work I think I was too paranoid just in case it didn't start for my journey home anyway I got bored and tried to put the rns 510 on and it was dead ARRGH. I had an auto electrician look at it and he confirmed that the head unit was draining the battery but he couldn't get it going. does anyone have any ideas or if anyone knows anybody who can repair the headunit .please help

:sad1:

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Re: RNS 510 dead HELP
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 09:48:12 pm »
This comment is from else where on the web and is similar situation.

"The car must NOT draw 1amp continuously, this will flatten the battery in a couple of days as my earlier calcs show. However, you need to get the current drawn test done for at least 1 hour, since some systems run for a while after the car is locked up. (eg: my Satnav draws 600ma for exactly 1 hour, then drops to 12ma for the next 72 hours, the 2ma after that)

Once you have confirmed that the car is remaining powered up for an hour or more, it would be useful to pop out the fusebox fuses one by one until the current draw drops from 1 amp to a more 'quiescent' value. This will then at least tell you which fused circuit it loading the battery, and will help you to narrow down the culprit.

Then, once you know the fused circuit that is causing the grief, you unplug each device that is serviced by that fuse, one by one, until you find the offending part. Then you smash it into little tiny pieces and fit a new one".

Basically,  there's merit in what he's advising it can be something other that the RNS510 on the same circuit not allowing the car to change to its quiescent state - should be less than 0.1 amps after 25 minutes when the keys removed!

How long have you had the RNS510 fitted and does it have the correct Can-Gateway to prevent battery drain?

Offline Luka

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 09:52:22 pm »
Have you upgraded the CAN gateway to prevent battery drain? A hard reset for the RNS is the '<' and '>' and 'i' buttons pressed together.
Sold - 2006 Tornado Red GTI 3dr

Offline eltel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 10:03:00 pm »
Thanks for the replies the rns 510 is completely dead so it wont reset , I don't wish to sound stupid but what is a can gateway?

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 10:09:07 pm »