Make a donation

Author Topic: Will you buy a newer model GTI when it's time to sell your current one?  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Homer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
Or will you buy another car?

I am planning to keep my GTi for at least another couple of years as long as it keeps working. I was thinking of going for the new Golf R that's coming out, it will be older by then and hopefully within my price range.

Failing that the new type R looks the business as well.

Then there is the new ST...

What's your thoughts?

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
Re: Will you buy a newer model GTI when it's time to sell your current one?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 08:37:04 pm »
Hard question to answer that one , I wouldnt mind a Mk6 R , or an Ed35 next , not sure I would go for a plain Mk6 GTI , Mk7? not sure , its a tad large to my eyes , maybe though.
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Llew

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 09:25:27 pm »
Hard question to answer that one , I wouldnt mind a Mk6 R , or an Ed35 next , not sure I would go for a plain Mk6 GTI , Mk7? not sure , its a tad large to my eyes , maybe though.
X2
Although when the mark6 came out i didn't like it at all but it's grown on me so i expect the same to happen with the mark 7
Golf 2006 tdi 140pd, dsg paddles,blue interior led lights,r32 rear bumper, cruise control,vcds,highline , r32 mfsw steering wheel, gti front bumper,miltek decat.

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 09:30:18 pm »
X2
Although when the mark6 came out i didn't like it at all but it's grown on me so i expect the same to happen with the mark 7

I do like the Mk7 , its more practical for me though , I can hardly open the door of my Mk5 in my garage , I would have to try a Mk7 3 door to see if I could physically get out of it inside my garage - I wouldnt have a nice car where I live if it didnt fit in my lock up due to chavs , and scum bairns that think nowt of booting footballs off your car etc.... If golfs keep getting wider every model change I might have to move down to the Polo!

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline skard

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 09:30:54 pm »
I saw a few mk7 GTI's when picking up parts from the dealer the other day.
Nice looking car and I would have one given the circumstances, however I would rather spend the extra and get an R if I was staying with a Golf.

Same with the mk6, would have an R over the ED35.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 09:32:58 pm »
I saw a few mk7 GTI's when picking up parts from the dealer the other day.
Nice looking car and I would have one given the circumstances, however I would rather spend the extra and get an R if I was staying with a Golf.

Same with the mk6, would have an R over the ED35.

Thats probably true , as in the local dealers , both models seem to retail around the same price , for the small difference between the 2 in price its a no brainer to take the R really.

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 09:35:56 pm »
Well I am a yes. In my 15 years motoring I have owned (in no particular order) a series 1 mk1 G60, a mk2 8v, 2 mk2 16v, a mk3 8v anniversary and a vr6 and a mk4 gt tdi. I went slightly off track with a corrado vr6 and currently own a mk4 r32 and a mk5 gti dsg. Golf all the way.  :laugh:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 09:51:23 pm »
I went from an ED30 via a few other cars and ended up with a Golf R......awesome car and don't regret the move one bit.

The best and quickest car I've ever owned. :happy2:

Definitely looking at the MKVII Golf R with interest too, but will hold on for a few years until the usual niggles are ironed out and the aftermarket parts and remaps are developed. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline prp74

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 12:30:49 am »
I would defo buy another gti, probably go for a dsg model .
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline zayd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 01:29:45 am »
Mate, DSG is phenomenal.  You really won't miss changing gears, when the gear change is this goooood!  :jumpmove:

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 10:23:57 am »
Well i am debating getting a Golf R to replace my ED30 and it really is an expensive move from an 07 to a good spec 10reg (or newer) is about £12k plus . What extra do i get from the upgrade in reg number , not much for spending the value of my car again or quite a bit more on another Golf....... But
I cannot find another car i would rather have . I have a large £wedge£ to spend and will not need to finance any of the purchase , i don't like the way cars keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger . The MK7 i had as a courtesy car (1.6 bluemotion!) was a nice car and i have yet to see in the flesh a MK7 GTI so who knows . I just think cars nowadays are built so well that we can all keep them for alot longer than we used to , changing them after 3 years seems too soon (which seems the norm) . Also i really hate the way new cars depreciate , how can they be worth what they are new if in 3 years they are only worth half (ish) ?? Also why do the big German (wouldn't have another) car companies still only give 3 year warranty ? If they started to increase this to 5 years would be a start too

So in answer to the original question - probably  :innocent:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 11:34:32 am by garrardrj »
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 11:21:07 am »
I had the same thought bud and that's why I ended up buying a mk5 gti and a mk4 r32. 32 lives in garage for fun days. Could not see the justification for spending £13k on an R. Will change the mk5 for an R in a few years.

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 12:14:27 pm »
Well i am debating getting a Golf R to replace my ED30 and it really is an expensive move from an 07 to a good spec 10reg (or newer) is about £12k plus . What extra do i get from the upgrade in reg number , not much for spending the value of my car again or quite a bit more on another Golf....... But
I cannot find another car i would rather have . I have a large £wedge£ to spend and will not need to finance any of the purchase , i don't like the way cars keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger . The MK7 i had as a courtesy car (1.6 bluemotion!) was a nice car and i have yet to see in the flesh a MK7 GTI so who knows . I just think cars nowadays are built so well that we can all keep them for alot longer than we used to , changing them after 3 years seems too soon (which seems the norm) . Also i really hate the way new cars depreciate , how can they be worth what they are new if in 3 years they are only worth half (ish) ?? Also why do the big German (wouldn't have another) car companies still only give 3 year warranty ? If they started to increase this to 5 years would be a start too

So in answer to the original question - probably  :innocent:

Where have you seen Golf R's from 13k?

The cheapest I have seen have been from 17k!

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 12:27:42 pm »
^^^^ The diffence in value between the two cars being around £12k.

For me, like most on here i will be looking for an Mk6 R next. Just can't decide when for best value re trade in??  :confused:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Gazza747

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 01:07:35 pm »
X2

I do like the Mk7 , its more practical for me though , I can hardly open the door of my Mk5 in my garage , I would have to try a Mk7 3 door to see if I could physically get out of it inside my garage - I wouldnt have a nice car where I live if it didnt fit in my lock up due to chavs , and scum bairns that think nowt of booting footballs off your car etc.... If golfs keep getting wider every model change I might have to move down to the Polo!

Mk7 Golf GTi is only 17mm wider. In answer to the OP I am considering changing my mk5 GTi for the mk7 GTi, after test driving I am very impressed.
2013 Golf mk7 1.4 tsi SE DSG
2011 Golf mk6 2.0 tdi Match manual (sold)
2007 Golf mk5 GTi manual (sold)