Make a donation

Author Topic: Replacing ED30 - Scirroco R  (Read 1722 times)

Offline AnSGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 2
  • 2012 GTI Edition 35
Replacing ED30 - Scirroco R
« on: September 14, 2013, 11:36:41 pm »
I'm about to put my Edition 30 up for sale, and I'm between cars to reace it. The front runner was a Golf R but I do 18k a year so I'd be looking at 4 tyres every 12 months (or less). It only looks right on 19"'s so that may break my wallet. I've started looking at the Scirocco R now. Has anyone made the change from an Edition 30 to the Scirroco R and how did they find the experience? I love the way my ED30 looks, but I really struggle with the backside of the Scirroco
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 11:39:29 pm by AnSGTI »

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
Re: Replacing ED30 - Scirroco R
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 06:35:37 am »
Have you considered an ed35? I went from an ed30 to one and loving it so far  :happy2:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 10:10:00 am »
Wouldn't say there is much to gain from doing the move as your post suggests . The ED30 is a better car than the Scirocco R . Why do you need to get rid of the ED30 ? Your issue with the 4 tyres every year for a Golf R isn't much , you will be spending around £4500 on fuel in that time so another £700 or so for tyres isn't much more is it ?
Unless you go for the Golf R i would say don't change , keep the ED30 and run that for another 30k plus , how many miles does it have now ?
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 12:10:37 pm »
I moved from a GTI to a scirocco TDI 170.

Can't comment on the R specifically, apart from the XDS system which mine also has (same as the R). It gives you so much more traction out of the corners and is about 80% of the way to a proper mechanical LSD  :happy2:

The body is slightly less practical than a 3rd golf, you can get 2 adults in the back, but 6ft tall guys will have their heads brushing the ceiling. The boot loading lip is higher which makes lifting large items in a little harder, but the boot is a decent size - nearly as big as the Golf's.

Gets a lot of looks on the road, and loads of comments at shows  :wink:

Te interior is shared with the EOS, and IMHO looks better than the mk6 Golf
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline AnSGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2012 GTI Edition 35
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 02:12:49 pm »
Have you considered an ed35? I went from an ed30 to one and loving it so far  :happy2:

I sat in a three door one in Worcester yesterday, I have to say I think I'm sold and I'm now looking for a ED35! Unfortunately as good as the one I saw yesterday looked on first glance, the front was splattered in stone chips, the alloys were kerbed and there was a fair few scratches on the bodywork. I was quite shocked a stealer would put a car on their forecourt in this condition. It did however have 34K on the clock so it had done a lot of miles in a very short amount of time.

Question - does it come with LED tail lights as standard?

Wouldn't say there is much to gain from doing the move as your post suggests . The ED30 is a better car than the Scirocco R . Why do you need to get rid of the ED30 ? Your issue with the 4 tyres every year for a Golf R isn't much , you will be spending around £4500 on fuel in that time so another £700 or so for tyres isn't much more is it ?
Unless you go for the Golf R i would say don't change , keep the ED30 and run that for another 30k plus , how many miles does it have now ?

My ED30 has 73K on the clock and I just have a really bad case of the 'car bug' as I call it. I fancy something new, and I'm set on the idea now. I think I've gone ff the idea of a scirocco as mentioned above, I really like the MK6 and the ED35 seems like a likely candidate to replace it.

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 03:09:22 pm »
I think you'll like the ed35 mate, after all it's an ed30 in disguise really  :happy2:

Darker (Golf R) rear LEDs are standard along with adaptive xenons, Bluetooth and leather, trusty K04 up front too  :wink:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=a6amo0c2fot6bsai80ir3a048i&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 03:14:02 pm »
I think you'll like the ed35 mate, after all it's an ed30 in disguise really  :happy2:

Darker (Golf R) rear LEDs are standard along with adaptive xenons, Bluetooth and leather, trusty K04 up front too  :wink:

I saw a Red ED35 yesterday....  :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

It look EPIC in red!

Offline AnSGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2012 GTI Edition 35
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 03:16:04 pm »
Yep I think I'm sold to be honest, I'm going fora DSG this time though if I can though. Just waiting for a Stealer to call me back - I finally have some pictures of mine after a quick clean (not up to my usual standards) so I'm going to see what people think it's worth then get it up for sale.

Can't wait  :party:

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 03:57:50 pm »

I saw a Red ED35 yesterday....  :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

It look EPIC in red!

I'd have loved a red one but was struggling to get one within budget with the right spec  :fighting:
Besides I think I needed a break from red and I would have been the 4th one in a row lol!

Yep I think I'm sold to be honest, I'm going fora DSG this time though if I can though. Just waiting for a Stealer to call me back - I finally have some pictures of mine after a quick clean (not up to my usual standards) so I'm going to see what people think it's worth then get it up for sale.

Can't wait  :party:

The 35 really is a lovely car and a pretty rare sight on the roads tbh, great standard spec too  :happy2:

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 04:54:18 pm »

I sat in a three door one in Worcester yesterday, I have to say I think I'm sold and I'm now looking for a ED35! Unfortunately as good as the one I saw yesterday looked on first glance, the front was splattered in stone chips, the alloys were kerbed and there was a fair few scratches on the bodywork. I was quite shocked a stealer would put a car on their forecourt in this condition. It did however have 34K on the clock so it had done a lot of miles in a very short amount of time.

They will rectify the chips on body and wheels only if the buyer asks them to nowadays , some buyers don't see them !
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 11:23:24 pm »
Ed35s are lovely , I had this DSG version when my old Mk5 went in for 2 new wings. I didnt want to give it back!

2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)