Make a donation

Author Topic: Where do I start???  (Read 5238 times)

Offline WhiteHartMart

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
Where do I start???
« on: September 01, 2009, 09:21:16 am »
Well I've had my Ed30 for almost couple of weeks now and love it too bits - as always though now I want more.  I think the problem is the car is too damn composed so it feels slower than it actually is!

So what do I do first :-

1.  Remap
2.  Exhaust - only want cat back at this stage - mainly for appearance - std pipes look a little weedy!
3.  Springs
4.  ICE - already upgraded to RNS510 so happy for now I guess!

Now there is one big hurdle and that is Warranty!! - I've seen all of you modding but no one seems worried about if the car has a problem.  I remapped my previous Focus ST but that was with a company who had a great relationship with some Ford dealers so there was always a great chance of getting the repairs done under warranty.

I'm just really cautious on this one though - sods law I'd mod/remap and then the damn DSG box would go tits up - leaving me with a massive bill!!

How do you all deal with this .... or do you all have mod friendly dealers nearby (unlike me!!)  :smiley:
Tornado Red 5dr Edition 30 - DSG, MFSW, Rear Parking Sensors, ipod connection, Carbon intake & ITG filter - go faster mods to follow!!!

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Where do I start???
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 09:43:07 am »

Getting a remap and only buying cat-back is a waste of money. If you remap you'll need a turbo-back (aka Hi-flow+Downpipe) - They compliment each other.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 09:51:30 am »
I think if you choose to go down the modifying route you will have to accept that some or all parts of your warranty can be affected.

However some dealerships are more mod friendly than others.

For example the one nearest to me offers remaps and milltek exhausts via it's sister company so they are a bit more flexible about warranty claims.

VW know this is a pretty big market these days so like some of the other European countries we will be seeing some tuning packages available via the dealers over the next few months. These will be covered by the VW warranty (as long as normal servicing etc is maintained) but these will be a lot more expensive than equivalent aftermarket tuner parts, partly due to the warranty and the increased cost of main dealer labor to fit the parts.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 09:53:14 am »

Getting a remap and only buying cat-back is a waste of money. If you remap you'll need a turbo-back (aka Hi-flow+Downpipe) - They compliment each other.

I don't think that is strictly true Robin.

A stage 1 map and a cat back is a good starting place and gives you the option to get used to the car and then add the downpipe and stage 2 software at a later date.  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 10:00:19 am »

A stage 1 map and a cat back is a good starting place and gives you the option to get used to the car and then add the downpipe and stage 2 software at a later date.  :happy2:

....Sure, but my thinking is that swopping exhaust parts later is what adds to the cost so why not do it earlier.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 10:02:15 am by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline WhiteHartMart

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 10:02:10 am »
... 'cause I'm not sure I can afford the full TBE in one hit at the moment  :wink:

Ta for the info though guys - Steve - is that definite about dealer offered mods??  I guess it'll be something like Ford did with the Mountune ST upgrade??
Tornado Red 5dr Edition 30 - DSG, MFSW, Rear Parking Sensors, ipod connection, Carbon intake & ITG filter - go faster mods to follow!!!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 10:04:16 am »
^^^^
Apparently VAG dealerships in Greece have been offering Revo tuning packages for many, many moons.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 10:06:02 am »
... 'cause I'm not sure I can afford the full TBE in one hit at the moment  :wink:

Ta for the info though guys - Steve - is that definite about dealer offered mods??  I guess it'll be something like Ford did with the Mountune ST upgrade??

Yep it's going to be along the same lines as the ST stuff.

Not sure on exact schedule but it's going to be going into a few dealers very soon :happy2:

Where abouts are you located?

Offline WhiteHartMart

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 10:08:51 am »
In the foreign land called Cornwall  :laugh:

I won't get my hopes up on being close to one of the first dealers to offer it  :grin:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 12:53:46 pm »

A stage 1 map and a cat back is a good starting place and gives you the option to get used to the car and then add the downpipe and stage 2 software at a later date.  :happy2:
2nd that, you dont have to get the full system. If its just looks, the Cat-back is fine, you can always add later on if you remap and thats not enough for your thirst :smiley:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 03:58:11 pm »
Logically you would need to think how far you want to initially modify the car. Then....

Uprate the suspension
Uprate the brakes
Uprate the exhaust
Uprate the intake
Remap.

As I say....LOGICALLY this is the right way to do it, but in reality most people do the remap first and then follow suit with other mods. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline GeorgeF

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 07:53:52 pm »
some seat dealers do revo remaps so i would have thought some vw ones would or cover it by warranty

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 08:27:03 pm »

Yep it's going to be along the same lines as the ST stuff.

Not sure on exact schedule but it's going to be going into a few dealers very soon :happy2:

Where abouts are you located?

This will be for the mk6 platform though not the mk5 i would imagine?
Seat europe offered a remap from a Co i cant remember but not the uk due to our laws govering testing, safety blah blah.
The car dealership i bought my ed from used a 3rd party tuner to do maps if you required it was dearer than going direct to the tuner yourself. But as i found out as they wouldn't touch my ed30 come servcing time as i didnt go thru them.

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 07:14:04 pm »

A stage 1 map and a cat back is a good starting place and gives you the option to get used to the car and then add the downpipe and stage 2 software at a later date.  :happy2:
^^^^^^^ i completley agree with steve here stage 1 remap and cat back go hand in hand, the remap gives it the go  , the cat back supplies the right noise and the looks , imo this is enough for most , i would nt want any more with out the diff  :happy2:

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 07:18:02 pm »
if you dont have dsg the first mod i would do is the torque arm insert , not sure if you feel results as much with dsg  :smiley: