Make a donation

Author Topic: Where do I start???  (Read 5229 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Where do I start???
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 07:31:48 pm »

Getting a remap and only buying cat-back is a waste of money. If you remap you'll need a turbo-back (aka Hi-flow+Downpipe) - They compliment each other.

I don't think that is strictly true Robin.

A stage 1 map and a cat back is a good starting place and gives you the option to get used to the car and then add the downpipe and stage 2 software at a later date.  :happy2:

^^^^^^^ i completley agree with steve here stage 1 remap and cat back go hand in hand, the remap gives it the go  , the cat back supplies the right noise and the looks , imo this is enough for most , i would nt want any more with out the diff  :happy2:

....I'm not disagreeing with Steve - My point is simply that if in the longer term you think you would want to go further in your tuning, then it makes more economical sense to go straight for the TBE now rather than pay the extra for swopping parts later.

My understanding is that a TBE will partner better with a Stage1 remap anyway but that it's not critical nor a problem to do otherwise.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 07:41:31 pm »
most stage 1 (generic) remap s are designed to work with a standard car  , stage 2 for intakes ,  exhausts etc  :wink:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 07:53:19 pm »

most stage 1 (generic) remap s are designed to work with a standard car  , stage 2 for intakes ,  exhausts etc  :wink:

....Agreed, but they work better with a more free flowing exhaust. Milltek systems are designed to work best with the established tuner's remaps.

Again, my point is longer term planning and economics (not usually something which I'm in the least bit bothered about!).

:happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 08:00:07 pm »

....Agreed, but they work better with a more free flowing exhaust. Milltek systems are designed to work best with the established tuner's remaps.

Again, my point is longer term planning and economics (not usually something which I'm in the least bit bothered about!).

:happy2:
well i know custom code stage 1 is primarily for a standard car , imo free flow systems dont make all that much in power terms just make the engine breath easier , i have cat back milltek and have asked several tuners that if i fit the downpipe/cat will i feel much difference and most say NO   

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 08:03:50 pm »

well i know custom code stage 1 is primarily for a standard car , imo free flow systems dont make all that much in power terms just make the engine breath easier , i have cat back milltek and have asked several tuners that if i fit the downpipe/cat will i feel much difference and most say NO   

....Exactly. I did say "more free flowing" which means the same as breathe easier :happy2:. I never said anything about power increases.

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 08:07:53 pm »
whilst on a similar subject another mod which imo opinion does nothing is the carbonio , it looks good but that is it , any body have an opinion on this ??? :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 08:17:52 pm »

whilst on a similar subject another mod which imo opinion does nothing is the carbonio , it looks good but that is it , any body have an opinion on this ??? :smiley:

^^^^ :laugh:

I laugh because this is the subject of many threads and debates, especially in the U S of A.

The tuners tend to say it's a good thing and users don't rate them if they are looking for power increases. There is also the good old factor of the Carbonio being expensive due to carbonfibre and cheapskates complaining that they ain't getting what they want for that kind of money.

It's a bit like the exhaust question earlier. I think the Carbonio increases efficiency and throttle response and the rest is due to the filter used and the remap.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 08:40:17 pm by RedRobin »

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 08:27:03 pm »
if i had paid out for a new one i would have been pissed off  :scared:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 08:44:15 pm »

if i had paid out for a new one i would have been pissed off  :scared:

....Doubtless because it doesn't represent good value for money for you.

I expected more from it than it seems to deliver but I like the eye-candy and it has served me very well while under warranty.

Warranty concerns/precautions is another reason people buy them - It doesn't interfere with the engine cover and there's no big python under the bonnet to scare the VW dealers into thinking you've done something pretty major.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 11:26:18 pm »
Personally I feel too many people jump into the modding waters without even thinking of how far they want to go or what their ultimate aim is (me included!). The result is a swapping of parts and bits that in the long term costs much more than if you had sat back and thought it through in the first instance.

The ultimate goal of the car maybe just a remap, a bling show car or an out and out trackday weapon.

You seriously need to think about a direction and then look at the options in those directions before committing any of your hard earned cash on them.  :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 11:34:35 pm »
^^^^
I couldn't agree more.

It is easier said than done though. You might decide you only want to go so far and plan accordingly but then you read on this forum all about a new mod and.....................

You're on the slippery slope!