Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear Brake Pad Upgrades....  (Read 32884 times)

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: Rear Brake Pad Upgrades....
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2009, 12:28:37 pm »

If there is so much difference with the pad wear, do you think that you could get VWR or JKM to alter the brake bias to give more bite at the rear?

....Is this done via software? If so, then Keith at JKM would be best to do it.

It's something T-T DEMANDED should be done, but as usual when asked to explain how you do it, he couldn't/wouldn't answer. I dont know anyone who knows anything about it or its parameters. I'm guessing it's a dealer version of VCDS job?

Worth finding out though.
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2009, 01:54:54 pm »
^^^^
I'll have a word with both my friendly VW dealer when I see them on Tuesday and with my mate Dan (ex VW techie) who is now a Revo agent and knows about software. I'm pretty sure it's something that a VW dealer will not be allowed to change from oem and can appreciate why.

Dear old T_T, eh? :laugh: Bless him! He and I have some wonderful exchanges but have met lots of times and it's never a problem.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2009, 05:52:33 pm »
Bonjour....

Only soft coding available vis a vis brake wise is to tell the ABS what size wheels you're running. Its nothing to do with braking per se, its just so that  it can intervene appropiately and "release" the disc properly

Imagine your brake disc clamped by your pads is a rusty bolt, you can either use a 6" ratchet (15" wheels) or a 24" breaker bar (18's) to turn it 18s will continue to turn your wheel where 15's would have locked them up for a given clamping force by the pads .

Its not about the braking systems ability to lock the wheels i.e.2/4/6/8 pot and big discs against 288's

I appreciate its all supposed to be the same rolling circle but invariably its not and I think there is soft coding to trim the MPH reading for different alloys as well

PS numbers totally random to demo the point

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2009, 06:06:08 pm »
Bonjour....

Only soft coding available vis a vis brake wise is to tell the ABS what size wheels you're running. Its nothing to do with braking per se, its just so that  it can intervene appropiately and "release" the disc properly

I appreciate its all supposed to be the same rolling circle but invariably its not and I think there is soft coding to trim the MPH reading for different alloys as well

....Interesting!

So, for example, my GTI left Wolfsburg with Monza 17's and was therefore soft-coded accordingly. When I swopped to Monza 18's, although it was a factory option, my existing coding thinks I'm still running 17's.

Would the coding also take a weight of the wheel into account? - Surely that would be ignored as such and reacted to smartly according to lack of grip etc regardless of how it was caused.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2009, 09:19:07 pm »
Robin heres a link to a brief thread over on Vortex

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2739583

The part number 1K0 907 379 E can not be recoded 1K0 907 375 E can be apparently....

Maybe  start a thread in the VDCs section - somebody somewhere has played with it probably with some success

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2009, 10:00:42 pm »
^^^^
Not for the feint hearted! Personally I'll be leaving such methods well alone. The car hasn't put me in a ditch so far with things as they are.

:happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2009, 02:30:42 pm »

Just to update this thread with the info that I am now buying some S3 rear brakes (whole kit) from DaveB.

Like most mods, they aren't absolutely essential but I have learnt a lot from the discussions on this thread and they appear to be a very good upgrade to better match my AP Racing front brakes, especially as I have started to do more trackdays/Nordschleife.

DaveB is a bit modest about being called a 'brakes guru' but he certainly knows his stuff and is also able to supply all sorts of brake components extremely competitively priced.

:drinking:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2009, 03:40:39 pm »

Just to update this thread with the info that I am now buying some S3 rear brakes (whole kit) from DaveB.

Like most mods, they aren't absolutely essential but I have learnt a lot from the discussions on this thread and they appear to be a very good upgrade to better match my AP Racing front brakes, especially as I have started to do more trackdays/Nordschleife.

DaveB is a bit modest about being called a 'brakes guru' but he certainly knows his stuff and is also able to supply all sorts of brake components extremely competitively priced.

I knew that once you had it in your head it wouldn't be long before your slope got a little slippy again :grin: :driver:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2009, 04:07:02 pm »

I knew that once you had it in your head it wouldn't be long before your slope got a little slippy again :grin: :driver:

....You're not entirely blameless in spending my money on the S3 rear brakes either!

It was you who so graphically described how much better they are than oem rears with a front BBK. I think it will encourage me to use my brakes more than I do.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2009, 07:06:17 pm »

....You're not entirely blameless in spending my money on the S3 rear brakes either!

It was you who so graphically described how much better they are than oem rears with a front BBK. I think it will encourage me to use my brakes more than I do.

I try my best :evilgrin:
Golf R gone.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2009, 04:56:32 pm »

How do the S3 Rears differ to the Cupra brakes?  The cupra fronts are massive

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2009, 05:20:15 pm »

I'm not 100% sure, but the Cupra rears are the same as the GTI's....286mm solid.

The S3 ones are 310mm and vented :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2009, 05:23:14 pm »

I'm not 100% sure, but the Cupra rears are the same as the GTI's....286mm solid.

The S3 ones are 310mm and vented :happy2:

Ta John, Ill be looking for an S3 upgrade then:)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2009, 09:26:14 pm »

Another quezzie for our resident brakes guru........   

:pomppomp: :pomppomp:....... DaveB !!!!  :pomppomp: :pomppomp: :star:

Or perhaps everyone would prefer : -

Anyway, the question is whether it's ok to use DS2500 pads on rear discs (S3) which are neither drilled nor grooved. My thinking is whether perhaps the DS2500 compound is kinder to the disc in some way if grooves are present.

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2009, 09:46:48 pm »
Camel-toe alert!