Offline zayd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
RNS 510
« on: September 19, 2013, 12:11:35 am »
Wow, my head really hurts after trawling through the net to understand this system!

I've recently bought a 2005 GTI, which has an RNS 510 unit.  I can't access the secret menu which gives the current SW and HW version.

Can someone please tell me the following;

1. Was an RNS 510 available for a 2005 GTI from factory as an option?
2. Was this unit fitted aftermarket by one of the previous owners?
3. Is there any way to determine the current HW / SW version without enabling this menu through VCDS?
4. Are there any tell tale functions that my unit may have, which will show which year or version it is?

Also, I was thinking that if this unit has been installed in my car and I presently don't suffer with battery drain, am I right in assuming that the canbus gateway has been replaced?

Thanks in earnest.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 12:14:49 am by zayd »

Offline zayd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: RNS 510
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 01:16:22 am »
All done now.  I've managed to activate the secret menu!  If you actually run the Video in motion script, it also enables the secret menu function!

Offline zayd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: RNS 510
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 09:37:38 am »
I've managed to update my SW from version 1120 to a modified 4020 version, which has been edited to avoid the battery drain issue, which I'm 99% certain my unit would've suffered. 

I've now got 7 digit postcode search and all other bells and whistles it comes with!  My maps are also now version 9.