Make a donation

Author Topic: Stereo Upgrade Advice for my Ed30 Plz.  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
Stereo Upgrade Advice for my Ed30 Plz.
« on: September 08, 2009, 01:00:19 pm »

I currently have the OE 6 cd head unit in my Edition 30 front with IPod prep.

Althought the stereo is quite good what options gives a better quality sound at a reasonable cost?

Apart from the VW unit what other unit fit's in it's place and is of good value?

Will a speaker upgrade be worth it on my unit?

What sort of prices will I will be looking for a better head unit prefably with Satnav and where's best to get it ordered and fitted by a qualified fitter?

Thanks

Ian
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Stereo Upgrade Advice for my Ed30 Plz.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 04:53:34 pm »
For HUs, have a gander over to caraudiodirect. HUs with SatNav range in price from £400 to £1400.

IIRC, VW HUs restrict output to prevent speaker damage, so a new HU and new speakers will give a  much better sound.

A few people here have simply upgraded to VW RNS-510, including me - mainly for looks/integration rather than features. Others have gone for aftermarket HUs.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 06:43:10 pm »
If near london my mate can fit for you. Hes a car audio fitter.

Apparently the kenwood double din sat nav headunits are the best, the pioneer ones are a bit slow apparently.

Offline Alexander

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 08:11:42 pm »
it all depends on what sound you want and how much you want to spend. A headunit upgrade with the original speakers is vastly better than the standard headunit. Add a sub to that and your laughing. If you want a truly top quality sound (a la hurdy) then you can rip everything out (speakers headunit etc) and add new speakers, amps etc!! you have said a resonable price so I would recommend changing the headunit first and if thats still not good enough for you then look at changing the speakers. Headunit wise it depends what your after if you want sat nav there are many units around if you just want cd/ipod then the kenwood dpx-503u is very good and the colours can be changed to match the cars interior!
HTH
2005 Black Audi A3 Sportback TDI-Bose and Full Leather
2005 Black 3Dr GTI-Leather and Upgraded Sound System-Gone

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 05:53:56 pm »
it all depends on what sound you want and how much you want to spend. A headunit upgrade with the original speakers is vastly better than the standard headunit. Add a sub to that and your laughing. If you want a truly top quality sound (a la hurdy) then you can rip everything out (speakers headunit etc) and add new speakers, amps etc!! you have said a resonable price so I would recommend changing the headunit first and if thats still not good enough for you then look at changing the speakers. Headunit wise it depends what your after if you want sat nav there are many units around if you just want cd/ipod then the kenwood dpx-503u is very good and the colours can be changed to match the cars interior!
HTH

It would be nice if I could just get the VW Upgrade unit. Where's best?
I assume it will give a better sound and Sat Nav?

What's the next best unit? Ideally I only want to part with >£400 so I expect my options are limited.
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 06:36:27 pm »
you wont get a headunit with sat nav for under 400 squids. atleast not a decent one anyway.