Make a donation

Author Topic: Pop quiz - depreciation vs fuel/inurance/maintenance.  (Read 3012 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
Pop quiz - depreciation vs fuel/inurance/maintenance.
« on: September 24, 2013, 09:08:27 am »
Which of these three cars will cost the most to run over a 3 to 5 yr period?

B7 RS4 avant purchased for about £20-22k or new Octavia Vrs estate with a few options coming up to about £25k list price.

Depreciation is the biggest running cost on a car so in some ways the RS4 will be cheap to run as long as can afford to fuel it and the Vrs will be worth say only £11k after 3 years?

On the other hand you would not expect to have to replace any parts on the vrs whereas RS4 may need new DSC dampers, inlet manifold de-coke etc....

Somewhere in the middle I guess is the S4 avant - running costs less than RS4 but depreciation higher, running costs more than vrs but wont depreciate as much.

If you were looking at these 3 options which would you plump for and why? Answers no more than 500 words please and must make reference to at least three course texts which you have read in conjunction eg Evo, Autocar  :grin:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
Re: Pop quiz - depreciation vs fuel/inurance/maintenance.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 09:31:07 am »
The vRS as you have a guaranteed monthly cost. Assuming you would purchase either on finance and it was your only car.

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 10:50:24 am »
The vRS as you have a guaranteed monthly cost. Assuming you would purchase either on finance and it was your only car.

If was buying the vrs would go for the 0% finance for three years, if was going for rs4 or s4 would probably try and borrow the shortfall from selling the Eddie and all the stg 2+ parts etc from a family member so would noit have any interest to pay.

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 10:57:53 am »
They serve very different purposes, I don't think you can buy a car like an RS4 and have value and economy in mind! Seems like a car you buy with your heart, not head.

I have been looking at them vaguely but instead I'm focusing on moving house now, as the RS4 has lost most of its value I would definitely go for that. The S4 is also a cracker, as is the vRS but it depends what you want it for.
Any of those cars if you buy wisely, you won't lose much if you change your mind later.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 12:06:31 pm »
They serve very different purposes, I don't think you can buy a car like an RS4 and have value and economy in mind! Seems like a car you buy with your heart, not head.

I have been looking at them vaguely but instead I'm focusing on moving house now, as the RS4 has lost most of its value I would definitely go for that. The S4 is also a cracker, as is the vRS but it depends what you want it for.
Any of those cars if you buy wisely, you won't lose much if you change your mind later.

will lose a lot on the vrs though if buy new. rs4 values have bottomed out as already lost 0ver 50% of the list price.

am guessing a stg 1 s4 wont be much worse on fuel than a 2+ Eddie?

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 01:25:21 pm »
I would say go S4 (3.0 supercharged) or vRS.

The RS4 has the means to reduce your credit card to a lump of quivering jelly.  :scared:

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 02:18:21 pm »
I would say go S4 (3.0 supercharged) or vRS.

The RS4 has the means to reduce your credit card to a lump of quivering jelly.  :scared:

cheers ian,

i must admit i wont have bottomless pockets so ma not sure i have the balls/means to take the RS4 on but am concerend about the depreciation on a new vrs.

s4 at £20k looks like a good Q car too

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 04:06:05 pm »
The S4 plus exhaust and map will keep up with the RS4 as proven by Chris Harris.  :happy2:

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 04:52:24 pm »
The S4 plus exhaust and map will keep up with the RS4 as proven by Chris Harris.  :happy2:

The map is £1500+ and an exhaust similarly priced.

The only S4 I would go for is the V6 supercharged version, and a decent one is already knocking on the price of an RS4.

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 05:05:21 pm »

The map is £1500+ and an exhaust similarly priced.

The only S4 I would go for is the V6 supercharged version, and a decent one is already knocking on the price of an RS4.

Indeed, newer S4 or 57 plate RS4 roughly about the same price. Clearly the RS4 looks better and sounds better but... a Stage 1 S4 Is going to quicker as Hedge says as torque will be far higher than RS. Quite fancy the 335i touring but a.) I dont have a local BMW tuner that I know of/trust b.) they seem to be as rare as hens teeth compared to the Audi's

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 05:21:39 pm »
Whatever the bhp of your S4 it will never be an RS4 , so i would go with the RS4 . I think if i had the bottle i would replace my ED30 withan RS4 but i haven't so it will be the Golf R . All about the same money as your thinking around £25k . The RS4 is already 6/7 years old , so in 3 years it could be 10 years old . Are they really going to hold their value that well ? They will be over £500 a year VED , £1000 for front discs and pads etc . The VRs is a nice car , but not a great car and its still a Skoda :innocent:
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 05:56:23 pm »
Thought about an M135i? Cracking deals around 18% discount at the moment. With a nice Edition 30 trade in, you are looking at a minimal amount on finance. Dare say with a bit more cash you could take one on BMWs 50/50 0% interest deal.

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 07:57:39 pm »
Thought about an M135i? Cracking deals around 18% discount at the moment. With a nice Edition 30 trade in, you are looking at a minimal amount on finance. Dare say with a bit more cash you could take one on BMWs 50/50 0% interest deal.

if was getting another hot hatch then yes would be looking at a45 amg, m135i or golf r

but... we are trying for our second child at moment and with me being nearly 6'5 i need something with more rear legroom and the load capacity to be able to take a big pram, small pram and luggage for holidays in the uk hence the need for an estate if/when second baby comes about