• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
CAT D
« on: September 25, 2013, 03:50:09 pm »
hi,

thinking of buying a CAT D car...the guy on the phone said it has had its front bumper replaced, so only very light damage. is there any way to check this is true prior to purchasing?

ive read online cars being registered CAT D for a damaged headlight - so if thats the case it wouldnt bother me in the slightest! structural damage is another thing hence i am inclined to check thoroughly before parting with my hard earned for a lemon...

any help appreciated thanks

Offline skard

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
Re: CAT D
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 04:25:32 pm »
If it was serious enough to get a CAT D then be wary, I say.
Personal opinion on damage is subjective and often underestimted, especially when selling a car.

If there are no before and after pictures of the damage/repair then beware. Remember being CAT D should make it substantially cheaper, and also that works against you when you sell it on.

Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 04:45:56 pm »
+2 on this...ask for pics of the damage...there must be a reason why it's cat D...not just a damaged bumper...

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline pipston

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 04:57:59 pm »
looks like ill be walking away from that one then! thanks guys.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 05:09:56 pm »
Cat D means that the insurance company has deemed it to be beyond economical repair , each insurer has slightly different rules and also is effected by what sort of car it is and what market there is for the damaged car . As i have said on here and other forums many times , CAT D is ok if you do your homework . If you intend to keep the car for 5/6 years plus i would think it would be ok to buy a CAT D if the price was right . CAT D cars will also have an adverse effect on your insurance , it may well increase the premium and also makes any claim thereafter difficult . Several insurers will not quote on them either . A CAT D is worth around 75% max of a cars value if it hadn't been CAT D . Also CAT C and D's are quite often sold as such when infact they are cloned stolen cars to the CAT C/D's identity , a good cloned car you will never identify it as such , unless you have many years  experience.

Now that the costs of repairs are ever increasing there will be more and more Cat D's about and the best was to buy a CAT D is to buy the wreck yourself and do it up yourself , done that a few times  :happy2:
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 05:20:34 pm »
IMO, walk away (quickly). It's ok if your buying a cheap sh*tter for 6 months but don't go spending real money on one.

This one "may" be a great car with hardly any damage (apart from some cosmetic bits) BUT one day your going to warn to sell it and you'll either have to wait ages to Beatrix of it or you'll get next to nothing for it as no one will want it.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline aarondsg

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 02:21:39 am »
Can be a hit and miss
Some cars can be worst than others
My mate has a insurance company offer him a payout for his car and give it back to him instead of repairing it and that was categorised and wasn't bad damage at all
Then my mates 335i got wrapped around a lamp post and was bent once repaired didn't line up and was only cat d!
R-Tech Power Stage 2+ Edition 30 (LC9Z)

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 02:27:13 am »
IMO, walk away (quickly). It's ok if your buying a cheap sh*tter for 6 months but don't go spending real money on one.

This one "may" be a great car with hardly any damage (apart from some cosmetic bits) BUT one day your going to warn to sell it and you'll either have to wait ages to Beatrix of it or you'll get next to nothing for it as no one will want it.

:happy2:

If you do decide to buy it,factor in when it comes to sell the car..u b getting peanuts for it mate

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map