Make a donation

Author Topic: Wheering  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Rustybear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 2
Wheering
« on: September 28, 2013, 05:02:08 pm »
Wheering noise seems to coming from a wheel, could this be wheel bearings and if so how can I check which one has gone making the noise apart from driving it and listening to wheels?

Offline ttdan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Wheering
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 08:17:58 pm »
Jack the car up and spin the rears by hand, fronts not as easy but at least you can give them a wiggle. Rear bearing went on mine at  50k miles ish.

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 08:44:30 pm »
I've never had a wheel bearing go in 65k of Mk5 ownership, with spacers and lots of camber.

Is the noise coming from the rear? If so it's probably just the typical Mk5 tyre wear drone from the rear suspension design.
Try swapping front and rear tyres around it'll probably go.

Offline john a

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 11
    • The Veneers Cover Band
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 12:57:19 am »
My wife's mk5 had the nsr bearing go, coupled with the saw toothed rear tyres it made a right racket.

Offline Neiltdi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 8
  • Full Hex+CAN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 02:23:17 am »
I've never had a wheel bearing go in 65k of Mk5 ownership, with spacers and lots of camber.

Is the noise coming from the rear? If so it's probably just the typical Mk5 tyre wear drone from the rear suspension design.

just because you havent had a wheel bearing fail it doesnt someone elses wont fail , its a constant moving part which WILL fail at some point
Full Hex+CAN in Hampshire.

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 08:04:19 am »
I had both the bearings at the driver side go at 40k miles

Offline Rustybear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 09:24:17 am »
Thanks for info. Think it's coming from driver rear side so will check it out. How much roughly are these to do as I gti an not coming up soon so will get done the same time.

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 09:41:36 am »
Spin the wheels and also grab them and wiggle the wheel and see if it has any moment in it, obviously a failed bearing is noisy when spun, moment in wheel or some time both.

Always do my own bearings but I'd say a garage maybes an hour/ +half labour

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 12:44:31 am »

just because you havent had a wheel bearing fail it doesnt someone elses wont fail , its a constant moving part which WILL fail at some point

Yes, I am aware of that.  :chicken:

What I should have perhaps explained more clearly, is that a droning noise often associated with wheel bearing problems is not a wheel bearing problem at all - it's the tyre, especially if it's at the rear.
The OP has said he thinks it's coming from the drivers side rear which, as I know from first hand experience, seems to be the noisiest when suffering from tyre drone. I'm just saying rather than faffing around with replacement bearings after doing the wheel shake test OP should swap his front and rear tyres around, a tyre bearing noise is also constant regardless of surface, where as the droning from the tyre will change depending on the surface.

Wheel bearings are not "common" failure items on this platform of car. I know many peoples personally with Mk5s and can't say I've known any that have had an actual failed wheel bearing.

If the bearing is faulty then replace with a genuine one not a cheap crappy Taiwanese part as they WILL fail.