Make a donation

Author Topic: GTi Mk5 electric windows  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Motor Mad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
GTi Mk5 electric windows
« on: October 03, 2013, 02:31:36 pm »

Hi all

I've owned my GTi for about six months and am pretty happy with the car. Like all used cars, I had a list of things I wanted to sort out, most of which are either sorted or getting sorted.

One thing that is annoying me is that the rear electric windows seem to have been tinkered with. When sat in the drivers seat and you push both buttons to make the rear windows go down, one side doesn't move. You have to push one button and pull the other for both windows to go down. Has anyone come across this before? Any ideas on how to sort it out? I tried putting the key in the door lock and twisting and holding the key in the position as this makes the windows go up or down. Again one of the windows seems to do the opposite to the other three.

Also on certain occasions when unlocking the car, the passenger side doesn't always unlock itself. I'd say it happens once in every 10 times I unlock the car. I end up having to reach across from the drivers side and pull the handle to unlock the door.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
Re: GTi Mk5 electric windows
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 03:41:17 pm »
I have a 3 door, but my passenger side window used to be possessed... when requesting both front windows to go up they would start but all of a sudden the passegner side would go down whilst the driver side went up. :rolleye:

I swapped all the window switches for chrome ones (not necessarily to solve that) but it hasn't played silly buggers since and that's about 10months ago now.  A great excuse for some shiny bits.

Scan it if possible, could be a dodgy switch pack. :happy2:

Offline Motor Mad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 03:50:48 pm »
I have a 3 door, but my passenger side window used to be possessed... when requesting both front windows to go up they would start but all of a sudden the passegner side would go down whilst the driver side went up. :rolleye:

I swapped all the window switches for chrome ones (not necessarily to solve that) but it hasn't played silly buggers since and that's about 10months ago now.  A great excuse for some shiny bits.

Scan it if possible, could be a dodgy switch pack. :happy2:

Thanks for the reply. When you say 'scan it', do you mean with the vag com software?

It's almost as if the previous owner has had the door skin off and put the switch on the wrong way round. Thinking about it, I'm going to see if I sit in the back seat, whether it works properly then.

*Just checked and the switch functions are the same down the drivers side for the rear window, but they are the opposite of the others. Modern cars and electrics are all well and good when they work. I'm all for keep fit windows!

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:57:46 pm by Motor Mad »

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 04:15:39 pm »
Sounds to me like the wiring is faulty inside the unit. Reverse polarity or something like that.
The rear door unlocking would not really be related to the windows.

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 04:42:01 pm »
Check the coding as some controllers require to be coded for RHD or they do the opposite
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline Motor Mad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 05:01:01 pm »

Thanks Eddie NL and XJay. Appreciate the replies.

I'll try and get the car scanned and see what codes it's returning.