Make a donation

Author Topic: 98 or 95 Ron  (Read 9463 times)

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
Re: 98 or 95 Ron
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 09:57:37 pm »
I'm sure my filler cap says minimum 98 RON!

Yeah mine does too. Although I think on later Gti's they changed it to 95. I have heard of head gasket problems on Gti's running long term on 95, but I don't know if that is only early cars or not. Personally I have always used super, get better mpg and feel.
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline Jamie3184

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 10:09:09 pm »
Is it not too do with aditives rather than power and mpg as too why VW would recommend a 98 Ron fuel.

V-Power and the like will have higher quality fuel additives in them over the standard Shell fuel, the 95 Ron stuff. Keeping the engine cleaner and in good working order, especialy as the TFSI is known to "coke up" so much!

Offline Roadrebel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 06:16:47 pm »
Thanks everyone, I will try 98 for next few fills and see how it goes.

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 06:23:00 pm »
I definately can feel the difference if I used 95RON , In fact I try not to use it now as it really takes the edge off the response of the car , now we have a Tesco in town I usually alternate fill ups between Momentum 99 and V Power Nitro + at the local Shell..
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 06:30:48 pm »

Yeah mine does too. Although I think on later Gti's they changed it to 95. I have heard of head gasket problems on Gti's running long term on 95, but I don't know if that is only early cars or not. Personally I have always used super, get better mpg and feel.

Mechanically speaking how how does the fuel used effect head gaskets?

You could run it on custard creams and while the injectors and lines may get gunked up the head gasket would be fine.

Offline Jonneh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2013, 06:37:00 pm »
Just double checked my ED30 and it says 98 is best! So looks like it's V Power or Tesco Momentum only!  :driver:
Passat R36 - Corrado VR6 - Mk2 Golf GTI 8v

Offline Leebo310

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2013, 11:21:06 pm »
Totally agaree with xjay,there is a very noticeable difference when using v-power especially,personally (op),id use the highhest ron rating you can find in my case thats shell v-power the car has never run on anything else.

Dougie :happy2: :happy2:

Yep totally agree too, definitely notice a smoother power delivery with v power.
55 plate GTI DSG / Revo remap / Miltek cat back exhaust / Evolution Motorsport Induction Kit / Sony XAV 62-BT head unit/ LED Rear numberplate lights

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 07:37:43 pm »

Mechanically speaking how how does the fuel used effect head gaskets?

You could run it on custard creams and while the injectors and lines may get gunked up the head gasket would be fine.

I have absolutely no idea of the mechanicals of it. It's just something I've read in a few different places, one such being a magazines guide on what to look out for when buying a GTI. I don't know if there has been anything proven but I just thought I'd share.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 07:58:26 pm »
my A3 2.0T has never been run on anything but Tesco Momentum or V-Power (and Optimax before it) in my ownership. i get better mpg so it works out to be a tiny difference in price.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Scrubadub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
  • Soon to be "bagged"
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 08:06:35 pm »
If your cars mapped for 99 you will get timing pull on lower Ron fuel to prevent detonation, that's why it feels better with higher Ron
Fun bags

Offline Midlifecrisis

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 10:32:42 pm »
I am too tight to pay the extra money :happy2:

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2013, 11:30:56 pm »
^^^Yes!! Another curmudgeonly old f*cker on the forum!

Bollocks! Arse! etc.
'07 Red manual

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2013, 11:51:34 pm »

I have absolutely no idea of the mechanicals of it. It's just something I've read in a few different places, one such being a magazines guide on what to look out for when buying a GTI. I don't know if there has been anything proven but I just thought I'd share.

I don't want to sound like a dick and this is not aimed at you like personally or anything ( :chicken: ) but rather than spread information which you don't know is true (thus causing panic and worry - Dave reads your post and tells his mate who tells his mate who posts it on vwvortex and then you end up on a 500 page article where no-one actually gives any factual proof about anything and then all Mk5s are tarred with an incorrect brush come resale by "wannabe" enthusiasts making everyones lives a mes) why not do some more research into it, take the initiative ! rather than saying something mechanically makes no sense!

In THEORY running poor quality fuel could cause a lean (hot) mixture which could increase cylinder pressures and blow the headgasket. But that's just in theory

In practise the Mk5 will retard the timing and will run safely on 95 ron which is the lowest we can get here. They run 91 in America (I think they have 95 as their PREMIUM GAAAS) and I've never come across this as a problem.

:party:

Offline Itguy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2013, 06:31:20 am »
It's important to compare apples with apples here.

The US display the figure in AKI, not RON generally. 91 AKI = 95 Ron.

See http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2013, 06:22:56 pm »

I don't want to sound like a dick and this is not aimed at you like personally or anything ( :chicken: ) but rather than spread information which you don't know is true (thus causing panic and worry - Dave reads your post and tells his mate who tells his mate who posts it on vwvortex and then you end up on a 500 page article where no-one actually gives any factual proof about anything and then all Mk5s are tarred with an incorrect brush come resale by "wannabe" enthusiasts making everyones lives a mes) why not do some more research into it, take the initiative ! rather than saying something mechanically makes no sense!

In THEORY running poor quality fuel could cause a lean (hot) mixture which could increase cylinder pressures and blow the headgasket. But that's just in theory

In practise the Mk5 will retard the timing and will run safely on 95 ron which is the lowest we can get here. They run 91 in America (I think they have 95 as their PREMIUM GAAAS) and I've never come across this as a problem.

:party:

Yeah, that's a fair enough point. I just thought that as a reputable car magazine had felt there was enough credibility to print it then it was worth sharing on here.